Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #184580 03/11/14 07:55 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    So, my DD had follow up testing by her school after they received the private eval that we had completed, they did several tests of executive functioning. The school psychologist said that these areas were as important if not more important than IQ in terms of predicting success in school (and probably in life as well). DD scored in the very superior range on all of the tests so it was not an issue but out of curiosity how many others have had tests of executive functioning administered to their children?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks Portia. That makes since. DD is very much a self-starter and motivated to do well at school. She is in first grade and completely responsible for her homework/schoolwork/studying. I always thought it was just a function of her personality not an "ability."

I
    I
    ... thought it was just a function of her personality not an "ability."
    There are exciting discoveries in neuroscience showing cognitive functions and abilities (which some may say comprise our "personality") related to different areas of brain development. For example, here is a link to a brief overview from WebMD which highlights a few thoughts about executive function: http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/executive-function

L
    L
    indigo, It was a great read. Thank you for sharing !

I find time away from Electronic devices- self- redirects my kids to the task on hands.

I
    I
    Tangently related... This article, found in an old discussion link on the forum, also describes a connection between brain development and behavior (what some might call "personality").

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/m...ld-a-psychopath.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    Can You Call a 9-Year-Old a Psychopath?
    By Jennifer Kahn on May 11, 2012
    The New York Times

Researchers hope, for example, that the capacity for empathy, which is controlled by specific parts of the brain, might still exist weakly in callous-unemotional children, and could be strengthened.

Researchers have linked coldblooded behaviors to low levels of cortisol and below-normal function in the amygdala, the portion of the brain that processes fear and other aversive social emotions, like shame. The desire to avoid those unpleasant feelings, Waschbusch notes, is part of what motivates young children to behave. “Normally, when a 2-year-old pushes his baby sister, and his sister cries, and his parents scold him, those reactions make the kid feel uncomfortable,” Waschbusch continued. “And that discomfort keeps him from doing it again. The difference with the callous-unemotional kids is that they don’t feel uncomfortable. So they don’t develop the same aversion to punishment or to the experience of hurting someone.”

Waschbusch cited one study that compared the criminal records of 23-year-olds with their sensitivity to unpleasant stimuli at age 3. In that study, the 3-year-olds were played a simple tone, then exposed to a brief blast of unpleasant white noise. Though all the children developed the ability to anticipate the burst of noise, most of the toddlers who went on to become criminals as adults didn’t show the same signs of aversion — tensing or sweating — when the advance tone was played.

Fortunately the article contained hope in the sentence "Physiology isn’t destiny.”

Originally Posted by psychland
    So, my DD had follow up testing by her school after they received the private eval that we had completed, they did several tests of executive functioning. The school psychologist said that these areas were as important if not more important than IQ in terms of predicting success in school (and probably in life as well). DD scored in the very superior range on all of the tests so it was not an issue but out of curiosity how many others have had tests of executive functioning administered to their children?

psychland, I'm curious - how did they test your DD's executive functioning? Were these actual tests, or based on observation?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    It is sort of interesting how it came about. We live in an area that has several of the best universities in the country and as a result there seems to be a much higher than normal population of HG and PG children. DD is wickedly creative, very very much an out of the box thinker and it is very obvious right away. We had the initial eval done only because her teacher suggested that she skip a grade and I wanted to make sure that she was not just a high achiever but was actually bright enough that the skip would not cause undue stress. Fast forward and her GAI was in the high 140's and FSIQ in the 130's while that is in the higher range she does not have the highest cognitive ability in her school or to be honest even in her class. You would not think based on her scores she would really stand out in her class but she does. So, the person that acts as the school psychologist at her school (small private school) is actually a Ph.D. level Neuropsychologist, She administered the Delis-Kaplan Executive Function System. DD was in the 99.9th percentile in all areas. They said this was very unusual and actually occurs less than really high IQ's thus explaining the reason she stands out in the group and the creativity. The psych did mention that these tests are rarely used by anyone but neuropsychologist, so maybe that is why they are not common? Not sure but in DD's case in was relevant info. She did say people with ADHD and Asperger's tend to have very poor executive functioning skills.

A
    A
    If the score is 99.9 percentile, then it's already telling you frequency in the population and shouldn't be less common than PG... unless she is basing that on the fact that many people think there are more kids at 99.9 percentile on IQ tests than predicted by the normal curve?

I'm intrigued by the test of executive functioning. I'm going to try to learn more about that.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    She actually said there are quite a few studies that show that IQ's at the upper end do occur more often than you would expect. That the frequency of occurring at the 99.9th percentile on an IQ test actually happens at a rate of about 1/650 as opposed to 1/1000 which the percentile rank would suggest. It just indicates that someone is at the 99.9th percentile based on the curve of the norming sample, if that makes sense. She said really high executive functioning just occurs more rarely and the areas measured are so different that it is unusual to have someone do well on all of them of them. My husband has a chemical engineering degree from MIT (that he got before optometry school) so I am guessing these skills came from him (they did not come from me;))! We also live in a suburb of Boston where there are a LOT of really bright children, they may skew the norm as well.

A
    A
    I've heard and read that, but have never found actual studies documenting it. I'd be fascinated if she gave any more information about that.

Congratulations on your child scoring so well! I think it makes sense that that is extremely valuable in being able to accomplish what one sets out to accomplish. I'm going to look into that for my son, but I know he won't get comparable scores... learning about strengths and weaknesses can be very helpful, though, and I think it would be useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM