Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Val #176810 12/09/13 05:46 AM
    Originally Posted by Val
    22B, see my response to Puffin regarding equity and elitism.

The situation is awful. Horrible. Insane. It drives me nuts, and I'm not defending putting the brakes on very smart kids. But I've accepted that the situation isn't going to change immediately, and so I have to teach my kids myself.

I am in that boat too at this point.

Become what you are
    22B Offline
    We are in a virtual school, so DS will take Algebra I in grade 3. smile

Val #178019 12/24/13 12:35 AM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    The statements that he has made by emphatically declaring that acceleration is not needed with the Common Core Maths are supremely irresponsible.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. He's referring to acceleration-itis in American schools, not gifted kids. This problem is widespread and is contributing to U.S. mathematical illiteracy.

Background:

At some point (1980s or 90s?), someone noticed that students who took algebra in 8th grade had higher SAT scores and did better in college than other students. It was decided that acceleration was responsible for this difference (not smarter students).

An acceleration arms race commenced. When I was a kid, 5-10% of an 8th grade class was allowed to take algebra I. These days, geometry is routinely offered in middle schools, and algebra II is now creeping in. This means that pre-algebra is routinely offered in 6th grade. After all, if algebra in 8th grade improves SAT scores, geometry in 8th grade will improve them even more! grin crazy shocked

Result: many, many students are losing out on 2-3 years of fundamental mathematics education. The loss of 6th grade math is especially bad, because it cements ideas from 4th and 5th grade math. The problem is compounded by teachers who don't understand the subject matter and bad textbooks. And millions of children are lost to mathematics.

There are plenty of High Schools around here where Algebra-2 is the highest course offered. I have never seen any evidence that this so-called "acceleration-itis" even exists.

The real problem is hyper-remediation-itis.

T
    T
    Our district will be implementing Common Core for math starting next year. They're not giving up the Everyday Math curriculum or the Discovering Algebra/Geometry textbooks, though--just "modifying" them to fit with Common Core. Everyday Math has done plenty of damage, so I'm sure adding in Common Core standards won't make it any worse. I've found advanced kids on the middle school math team who can't manipulate fractions without their calculators. And as I mentioned in another thread, my dd is in a class with 9th & 10th graders who never learned (or don't remember) simple long division. The high schoolers are kids who were in 3rd & 4th grade when our district implemented the Everyday Math curriculum and the middle schoolers have had it their whole school career.

Currently at the middle school level, most kids take 6th grade math->Integrated Algebra A->Integrated Algebra B, with the option of repeating Algebra as a 9th grader or moving on to Geometry. Advanced students can skip 6th grade math, taking Geometry in 8th grade. Very advanced students can test out of Algebra A, ending up at the high school for Algebra II in 8th grade.

With the new common core, everyone will take 6th grade math, then choose at 7th grade to either take 7th & 8th grade common core, leading to Algebra I in 9th grade, or to take an accelerated 7th/8th/Algebra I path during 7th & 8th grade. They claim that students can still skip 6th grade math, though they're actively discouraging it. Those that skip will move to the accelerated path, taking Geometry in 8th grade. Very advanced students will still be allowed to test ahead. Ultimately, I believe Geometry will no longer be offered at the middle schools, because fewer and fewer kids will be on that path each year.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM