Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    3) Length of time devoted to an activity.

Speaks to task persistence and also to a lack of dilettantism-- genuine commitment as opposed to "I did this to improve my resume," which is pretty important when you are looking at a kid that has almost TOO many EC's in too many different areas. She has a tendency to look "groomed/fake" on paper-- it's all genuine, but it comes off as a bit cliche.

Piano was definitely her choice of instruments-- she begged for lessons from the time she was 18mo, and I do think that she'll likely always play, but she's reached a level now where the gains are incremental, and so it's more frustrating than rewarding to "improve" her technique.

Her physique won't support more serious pursuit, probably-- and early arthritis is likely if she pushes much. So she has set aside her earlier plan to have music as a secondary major.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Re: Length of time - That's why I said there's no reason to tell the powers that be that she's not actively pursuing it any further. As you said, she'll likely continue to play, even if she's not pushing to improve her technique. As long as she still sits down at the piano as little as once a month, she can accurately say, a year from now, "I've been playing piano for the past 10 years, and I recently picked up the guitar, as well."

Even if she's pressed and has to say she'd ONLY done formal lessons for 9 of those 10 years, I don't know how that could be considered dilettante. I mean, she only needs to commit to her chosen school for four years.

OP Offline
    Yes, we've agreed that she is going to discontinue lessons in June. This is a natural stopping point that makes sense to all three of us. She is still hunting for a guitar teacher.

I'm just looking for some of the little miniatures that she seems to actually LIKE working on so that she doesn't feel as though this last few months is either useless or torturous. Those Bartok pieces (Op 56) are the bomb for her, but she plays the entire set well enough that she could (IMO) probably play them at competition level NOW if that were her thing.

C
    C
    Hi, HK,

I don't know if this is helpful, but just in case…If your DD wants to include an Arts supplement on her college applications (which I gather for her are next fall?), perhaps a goal for the next couple of months would be to record the Bartok, when you and she feel she is ready. My kid is a few years away from this, but my understanding is that you attach the recording to the Common App, and that a good recording is a serious plus (it's evidence of achievement, after all) for someone who lists an instrument on their ECs, even if s/he doesn't want to major in music. The music departments listen to Arts Supplements, and so you get the benefit of an expert weighing in and saying, yes, this is serious accomplishment. Just a thought -- you may not want to do this, but if she is going to shift gears a bit soon, it might be nice (hey, even just for her, later on, if not for the colleges! :-)) to have a recording that captured this achievement. The Bartok stuff is HARD! :-)

OP Offline
    She's already heading into college in Fall '14, but I'd like for her to start doing some recordings and just sharing them with friends. Most of her friends have no clue how well she plays. None. She's quite self-conscious.

I mean, she plays that Bach Invention 8 at about the clip that Andreas Schiff manages... and is self-critical that she doesn't play it as well as he does. Yes, this is crazy given that she practices about 2h a week total, but her standards are extreme even by a Perfectionist's worldview. Last summer she did an animated short video using the Prelude in C-- and I'm pretty sure that the judging team had no idea that it wasn't a recording that she ripped from somewhere else.

So I've encouraged her to record and create a private YT channel just for friends and family. Record some of her improv on it, some of the favorite works that she's done, etc. I think that she needs the feedback to realize that NO, most 'mediocre' 14yo pianists are not playing what she plays.

I'm not sure if you've heard of these guys, but if not, look for "Piano Guys" on Youtube. They have a lot of stuff there, some more/less appropriate to a pianist playing solo. If you find anything you like, they have links to where you can buy the sheet music.

I've been listening to them a lot lately, as DD9 now requires them to get through her ridiculous volume of low-value test-prep homework lately, and I think they make a lot of music that's a fair match for how you describe your DD's style.

Hmmm... Simple Gifts is nice enough, I suppose, but it needs some Disney and Jason Mraz to really make it go.

There's one called "All of Me" where a forearm smash is a legitimate piano technique, not a pro wrestling technique, and surprisingly doesn't sound at all like the wrestling move would feel.

Hat tip to aquinas, who turned me on to them to begin with.

OP Offline
    GREAT tip-- thanks for mentioning them. laugh

D
    D
    Howler Karma, I too played Invention #8 like that at about the same age. I gave up piano around the same time too. My parents were not supportive, totally checked out, so I quit to take up drums. I worked all summer to buy my first kit and taught myself to play. I was very self conscious about playing and very perfectionistic. I totally get where your daughter is at, but maybe a conscious break might be healthy and she could just mess around for a while and try again in 6 months or a year. Maybe she needs a drum kit?? smile

Playing drums was very liberating for me and provided a healthy social outlet. I started a band at 16 and continuing playing off and on until I had my now 6 year old DS. I met a lot of really amazing people, learned a lot and had so many rich experiences. Or maybe electric guitar?
    Also, I am quite self conscious playing for other people too. Hiding behind a drum kit was a way for me to play out, really get into the music, but feel more secure.

Playing piano can be a very solitary journey. My son just started a few months ago and is already playing Bach Minuets and has his first Piano Exam (his idea!) in a couple of months. He's very passionate about it so I think we are beginning a very interesting journey! He also messes around on drums and electric guitar. Due to my past I am hoping that keeping music open ended for him he won't get stuck like I did. His piano teacher also plays keyboards in two national touring bands. Has your DD thought of playing keyboards in a friends band or starting her own? It might freshen it up for her and take a little of the pressure off! And I love your idea of recording!

Good luck to her and you!

T
    T
    http://www.amazon.com/Pianists-Repertoire-Fourth-Edition-Indiana/dp/0253010225

Guide to the Pianist’s Repertoire continues to be the go-to source for piano performers, teachers, and students. Newly updated and expanded with over 250 new composers, this incomparable resource expertly guides readers to solo piano literature. What did a given composer write? What interesting work have I never heard of? How difficult is it? What are its special musical features? How can I reach the publisher? It’s all here. Featuring information for more than 2,000 composers, the fourth edition includes enhanced indexes. The new "Hinson" will be an indispensable guide for many years to come.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM