Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    My DD10 skipped 5th Grade. She has still had straight As all this year, but it has actually taken her more effort. It was a good move for this year but is only a temporary fix. The curriculum at her school is very repetitive from year to year and she just really doesn't need that so, she is getting really bored in Math and History. Also, the Science covers too many subjects in very little depth each year which is also frustrating. Next year we are going to homeschool her so she doesn't have to do so much repitition and can engage in more depth.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Mom2Two
    I agree. I'd love to see traditional schools have flexible (across-grade) grouping. But, I agree it will never happen (except maybe in a few charter or private schools). But, I believe it would solve a lot of problems we are discussing on this thread.

It solves part of the problem, the need for younger kids to skip ahead. It does not really solve the issue for older kids, who don't need to skip, but just move faster (see HKs thoughtful comment above about compressing rather than skipping). Even with my daughter now, I see gaps where she's missed stuff from having skipped so much (it's primarily in history and social science, but also in grammar).

I could image a system where grade school is completely cross age with students allowed to skip into whatever classes they are ready for and with the opportunity for a student to enter middle school whenever they are ready academically without regard to age.

I would assume a choice of middle / high schools: a) normal pace (as per current) b) accelerated pace (for students who can go faster and either graduate early or go dual credit at a local college). The middle / high school would be equally cross age. I think this would be doable with current staffing and facilities (if you already have adequate staffing and facilities, many places don't).

It still doesn't really solve the problem for an 8 year old ready for middle school learning, but without the capacity to handle the middle school workload. Our kids are always going to be outliers and the very best solution for them would be placement in schools specifically for HG and above kids (like Davidson, but for all ages) where the highest potential students would get the support they needed. Admission would be by test results only, with no regard to economics OR achievement (which are so unfortunately linked in our society).

Of course, now we're really talking fantasy land and no such "elitist" and "non-egalitarian" idea would ever be embraced in the US.

I
    I
    no such "elitist" and "non-egalitarian" idea would ever be embraced in the US.
    On the other hand, the USA may actually be the first place such educational reform may occur, allowing curriculum and pacing choices which may supplant skipping.

The fact that homeschooling is legal in most states, that forums exist to exchange ideas and build support, and that private schools, specialty public schools, and charters exist... all lend hope that we can help inform society that we as individuals are and remain equal despite our considerable differences including age, stature, intellectual profile.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is potentially different for each individual. Each person or family may sacrifice, strive, and weigh opportunity costs in choosing to set personal priorities and gravitate toward a unique mix of intellectual, athletic, spiritual, political endeavors.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    socially behind during junior high and had a lot of emotional issues during the ages 11 - 14.
    While you know yourself best, so many children have issues at this age... is it possible that the issues were not related to the grade skip, but may have occurred regardless?

Thank you, indigo, for your questions. I think the issues might have occurred regardless, but one more year of maturity would have helped me deal with them. But who knows?

Ds7 could possibly benefit from a skip, but I am worried that it might further isolate him socially from his peers.
    This may depend in part on his/your definition of "peers"... chronological age? intellectual peers? academic peers? Some families find it helpful to develop several sets of peers/friends/acquaintances through various interests, extracurricular activities, clubs, camps, etc.

Kiddo is probably HG and in private school with lots of MG(+) kids, but still bored. I think our next steps may be testing to see if he a possible DYS and to help with advocacy. Unfortunately we are in an affluent area so the teachers are weary of hearing about "special" "accelerated" "underchallenged" children and thus tend to tune out our concerns.

I
    I
    ... next steps... help with advocacy.
    Does your child enjoy classmates, friends, and teachers? Boredom arises from the curriculum & pacing? Information at the following links on the Davidson Database may be of interest, in learning about some of the best approaches in advocacy...
    1- Advocacy - Working with your child's school http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10558.aspx
    2- Choosing the right school for your gifted child http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10511.aspx
    3- Basic educational options for gifted children http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10270.aspx
    4- Guidebook - Advocating for Exceptionally Gifted Young People, plus lists of other resources http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_resources_165.aspx

Wishing you all the best.

S
    S
    My son skipped third this year (only wanted math acceleration but ended up doing full grade skip).

He is doing well academically and socially.

He is probably going to do 5th grade at his school...and then home school middle school,

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    ... did you do it because there were problems that might fixed with a grade skip (behavior, mentally checking out, etc.) or because you had a perfect student with perfect grades. Or, was there another reason?

DD13, now in 9th grade, has skipped 2nd and 6th grades. First skip done because she already was well ahead of grade level and we wanted her challenged before she mentally checked out.

... did the issues resolve after the grade skip? Or if life was "perfect," did issues arrive after the skip?

Second skip was done because, as happens with many HG kids, the first skip was only a temporary fix. By the end of 5th, she was once again well ahead of grade level. No plans for a formal third skip as subject acceleration in MS and self-choosing of classes in HS have kept her occupied.

Have the issues been resolved? Not fully. We still have to push her a little bit to be open to failure. And I still can't convince her she is good at math. (One of our repeated conversations: "DD, you say you are not good at math. Do you consider me good at math?" "Yes, you are way better at math than I am." "I did not take geometry until I was 15 and a sophomore. You are taking it at 12 and as a freshman..."). But, overall, we're in an acceptable least-worst scenario.

--S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM