Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I've posted before about DS. He was previously very delayed but has completely caught up. He is in kindergarten but goes to first grade for part of the day. His school is trying very hard to help him.

He usually loves school and is very well-behaved. He often finishes his work early, but his teacher gets him piles of books from the library and encourages him to do projects on his interests that he can show to the class (on topics like stars, planets, orbits, etc.).

Because of weather, he has only had outdoor recess about one time so far this year and he seems to be having a much more difficult time with it than other kids. He says specifically that that is the problem. He is having a harder time occupying himself when he finishes early, often distracting other kids who are working by wanting to play with them. He really likes doing well at school and it upsets him when his teacher reports that he had trouble with this sort of behavior.

I think it would help a great deal if he could get some sort of activity (they just watch movies at recess when they can't go out) or if we could come up with some especially exciting and engaging activities.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of problem? If I can come up with ideas, I'm sure the school will be willing to try them.

N
    N
    When I was a kid and we had recess inside, it was scooters in the gym, or (god help us) dodgeball, or red rover, or some sort of tag-team thing back and forth across the gym. You should push the school in the direction of "battling obesity" and all that good stuff, and see if anybody remembers how to play the old-school games.

^ good idea. And smirk Dodge Ball.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Another great gym game is "Mother, may I?" (also called "Captain, may I?"). It is a non-contact game and for those who never played or do not remember details, descriptions are found online... Wikipedia, wiki-how, and other places.

Red-light/green-light, simon says, etc. Jump-rope games. That's what we always did when the multipurpose gym wasn't available for recess.

Growing up in the PNW, we had a lot of "rained-out" recess when I was a kid.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm not sure why they don't try things like that. Maybe it is easier to show a movie (having organized activities is probably much more work for the teachers). I can definitely suggest that...

B
    B
    Originally Posted by apm221
    I'm not sure why they don't try things like that. Maybe it is easier to show a movie (having organized activities is probably much more work for the teachers). I can definitely suggest that...
    It's suspect it's partly because schools just don't have the indoor space. Elementary school's don't necessary have Gym's or PE rooms. At most my local Elementary schools have multipurpose rooms and they are often being used for older kids, while the younger ones have recess of vice-verse. It's really a shame.

Last edited by bluemagic; 03/05/14 04:16 PM.
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The gym definitely isn't available. I know that's why they don't use the gym. It seems like some activities could be done in a classroom, though, and I think they probably don't do that because it would be more difficult.

P
    P
    At that age when we were kids we had blocks etc in the classroom for wet days. One of the senior girls (11 or so) was sent to watch us. I think my son does the same but they don't seem to get supervised as much. Watching movies sounds like a bad idea.

eTa. I think ds6 has decided the best way is to work as slowly as possible. I read while I waited. In fact I think I read before, during and after work.

Last edited by puffin; 03/05/14 10:21 PM.
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I think he would like just getting to play in the classroom. He says they don't do center time as much and he misses it. I think the problem is that they want all the kids in one room for one teacher to supervise while the others get a break. If I could get there during the day and volunteer to supervise, that would help. I just don't think that I can.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent