Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I'm jealous of you "down south"! ... our "best" option is moving up north 4 miles to Wisconsin to get free online public homeschool or at least a spot in a public school in a state that has some FUNDING for gifted ed, unlike Illinois frown ... We're Lake Villa school district ... either the district public school where we belong or one of the few catholic schools nearby.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks everyone for your insights. I will really appreciate if someone can provide more information on the progressive nature of education specifically in the Avery Coonley School in Downers Grove, IL. I sometimes feel that tours with the school coordinator is not everything that one needs to understand.
    Is it improper to ask for name/profile/discussion with the class teachers he will see at least in the next 2-3 years. Moving schools is tough on the kid and I am trying to make the right decision. And with the $s I need to spend if we start going here, I want to be at least 80% correct

B
    B
    Hi frannieandejsmom,
    I'm also interested in info about these schools. Would you feel comfortable explaining what you did not like about Quest and DaVinci. Also do you have any info on the Science & Arts Academy in Des Plaines or Elgin Academy?

Thankss for any info

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I am interested in anyone with info on Avery Coonley as well! I have looked into Quest (not impressed) and DaVinci (even less impressed then I was with Quest).

IllinoisParent, I also have a son in first grade in a public school... Northwest burbs. We are trying to hold out until third grade and a wonderful magnet program our district offers.

F
    F
    Both DaVinci and Quest did not follow up after inquiries that were made to both schools. I spoke with oth several times and asked for more information to be mailed. I was set to take a tour of Quest but never received the information. DaVinci didn't return phone calls after an initial phone conversation. DS has qualifying scores for all the local privates. He would qualify for subject acceleration for math + 2 years at the schools...possibly be grade accelerated.

B
    B
    Thank you for the info. That's interesting. I went to DaVinci for a couple of parent educational talks last fall, and my two boys went to a week long summer chess club this past summer. I had mixed feelings, and I have been thinking about getting more info from the school. Thanks again for you info.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    I did evaluate both and visit both. Da Vinci's tour was provided by an admissions coordinator and the one in Avery Coonley was done by a parent. Sincerely, it was such a great way to tour as we got insights, real feedback, discussions on both pros and cons. I believe the one in Da Vinci was more of a sales talk.
    AC also gave us opportunity to observe classes in session, talk to a few teachers (those who were in classes). Though AC also is curriculum based, I believe they do cater to individualized needs.Based on what I have seen till now, I will go for AC if I get invited to both places.
    The work and projects of students that saw in various grades were pretty impressive in AC.
    I still don't feel that any school is geared to handle a profoundly gifted kid (of the ones I have seen and talked to). Its the teacher and I am just hoping for the best..

This thread is older but I'm resurrecting it due to finding it on an internet search. I have 2 PG kids that are both DYS. We enrolled the younger one in Quest this year for Jr. High after a disastrous few years in the public school. She absolutely loves this school and is thriving. Besides a strong academic program they offer a drama class and the ability to take two languages. While she could be further accelerated academically, I feel we would have a similar issue at any of the private schools for gifted. Additionally, it's not all about how fast they can get through the curriculum, I don't have a goal of sending them to college before age 16 and would prefer to see both girls attend college at the natural age. Quest is like a family and the first place that my child has felt accepted and truly liked by both the students and teachers/staff. I haven't actually seen her so happy since before she started pre-school, until Quest. For anyone looking for a private school, it's best to do your research, talk to parents and solidify what it is you are actually looking for, for your child. Each of these schools has different personalities and quirks, just like our children. Quest is a fantastic fit for my youngest but would probably not work out well for my oldest. Best of luck to anyone searching for the right fit. When you get it right, it can be amazing. Also, keep in mind that the admissions people know their schools very well. They may encourage or discourage pursuing admissions based on their intimate knowledge of the schools they work for. This should not be taken personally. They really are passionate about what they do and need to make decisions based on what is best for the population of the school and are taking your child's well being into consideration also. If you don't get a call back from a school you are interested, it doesn't mean it's a bad school. Keep looking til you find the right fit for your child and they will end up in the right place, happy and successful!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM