Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    To make a long story short, we don't do a K curriculum. We follow her lead and try to support her interests as much as possible, within reason, of course. The only schoolish thing we do together is handwriting. She really wants to improve her writing skills but if I leave her to it, her formation is all over the place so I have to watch her. When she wakes up in the morning all excited about number dreams she had, I do listen and we talk about the concepts she "discovered" while sleeping but I stop short of giving her instructions. We do a lot of music and I must admit, this is an area where both her father and I need to watch ourselves.

Her latest thing is LEGO and I'm really relieved that she's loves it as much as she does. It's so much easier to invite friends over for a LEGO playdate than to a human anatomy seminar. laugh With the upcoming movie, I expect this phase to last for awhile and it actually got her more interested in history and pop culture. It's not that we wanted her to lose her love of learning (because she's still learning a lot everyday just by being who she is) but it's nice to see her expand her horizon and play skills. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Here is a favorite link for that age...
    http://www.criticalthinking.com/
    This site looks great! Have you tried the "Reasoning to Read?" Did your child and you like it? I am thinking of getting it for my little one.

BTw, you were one of the posters who recommended Grammer Island, right? My DS is reading that and he loves it - what e great way to make grammer 'not boring' smile So I really trust your recommnedations!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions and feedback, everyone!

What was said about the not quizzing or emphasizing repetition makes a lot of sense for her--and the showing and walking away.

The reason I was trying an official "curriculum" was to make sure gaps didn't happen and we didn't overlook some crucial skill that ends up being a major hindrance down the road. These last few days she's been initiating what she wants to work on. She's been doing a lot of mazes and letter tracing and starfall.com. Then this morning she drew her first picture of a dinosaur, asked how to spell dinosaur, and needed a little help with some of the letter formation, but had soon labeled her "silver dinosaur" picture and signed it with her name. Then she did the thing where she writes a page full of squiggly lines and proceeds to read her "story" out loud, telling me all about dinosaurs. (I think this was inspired by a starfall.com dinosaur lesson or storybook.)

I like what was said, too, about basing everything on who she is and not on her age--in terms of allowed behaviors and etc.

I will be checking out all of the links posted! Thanks, again!

I'd try to figure out where you think she's got weaknesses (probably written expression-- but you're still a year or two away from that, even, and likely going to have to wait on fine motor development) and then make "school" (that is, formal instruction from you) about THOSE things, but with a spash of whatever her flavor-of-the-month happens to be.

You probably WILL have to teach her to tolerate being told what to do. At least part of the time, this is just reality. Better to learn it from someone who loves you too much to walk away when you pull out every stop in an effort to redirect. KWIM?

But pick your battles carefully-- and battles there will be with this sort of child. Never forget that they ARE children-- no matter how skillfully they can manipulate adults, or no matter how much they can fast-talk you like a TV defense attorney.

I can honestly say that I never in a million years would have believed some of the FIGHTS that my DD and I have had over her need to do as I was telling her. I mean, I'd have believed those things of a 15yo. But she was FIVE.

My daughter, had I permitted her to have her way completely, would NEVER have learned writing skills at all. She would not have note-taking skills. In other words, she would be outstripping my ability to facilitate her learning... but also be utterly unprepared to go into an environment where she COULD continue learning (college/uni). So my primary goal over the past seven years has been to keep an eye on the developmental arc that will take her into college-- and make sure that her support skills are up to that task. If she can't compose written work and take notes like a college student, then she's going to have trouble accessing that learning environment. I have the maturity to realize that; she doesn't. So in spite of her reluctance to work on those skills that most needed it, I had to insist. Sometimes forcefully. I didn't do that because I needed to control her or because I wanted to "win" some power struggle-- but because I could see why letting HER win that struggle would be bad for her in the long run.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Thanks for this thread. I have one of those kids too. He turns five in May, childcare assistance will cease and I will have to send him to school. I am thinking it could be interesting. He will be charming at first of course.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM