Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Just sharing this in case others can relate. I dropped my younger son (3) off at his preschool and it hit me that with him, I never have that stressed feeling like "what are they going to tell me today?" When ODS (PG) was this age, we were constantly getting bad reports from his teacher about this, that or the other thing he did that day (in hindsight, she was a very bad fit not just for him, we didn't know that at the time). So much angst and stress, especially because he was our oldest, and while far better at home, hardly a calm and docile child.

DS is also very smart, time will tell at what level of bright. But he is more easy going and follows directions so much better that he fits right into a class. Our experience has been so easy. (Knocking wood here.) Is this what parenthood is like for most people?

I
    I
    Mine is exactly the same. Although older DS was never really a behavior problem per se, people often just didn't get him. It didn't really start until pre-k though. His intensity, his questioning just annoyed people who just wanted him to accept "you get what you get and you don't get upset." Younger DS, on the other hand, gets GLOWING reports. People love him. teachers call him a "joy" - they were all trying to get him their class. And he works that halo. He's easygoing and not as verbal. He had talents tho that seem like he'd get a very high PRI whereas older DS is extremely verbal and that can bother adults. I feel relieved and a bit sad about it all at the same time.

I
    I
    I should add younger DS has no disabilities unlike older DS. Younger DS had great fine motor, gross motor and executive functioning skills -all the things teachers love.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Irena
    And he works that halo.

Our YDS is a pro at this already! Thanks for sharing your story. I agree, most of ODS' behavior "problems" were really just finding something else to do after he'd done whatever they were supposed to be doing.

C
    C
    OMG yes. My oldest was a challenge from day 3 and while some of it can be attributed to first time parenting cluelessness most of it was his INTENSITY and a variety of issues that took a while to figure out (some medical early on now mostly gifted quirks). Daycare was a disaster and school has been a rolller-coaster. This year we're ok but I suspect it is only because of an amazing teacher so who knows what next year brings.

DD on the other hand is a teacher's dream. She doesn't seem to have the same 2e issues, loves to please people and loves the kids in her class. Usually her only complaint is that they don't give homework in kindergarten (she often begs to do DS's grade 2 work so I just make copies and she's happy as can be). Kindergarten here is very play based so I suspect we'll run into boredom issues next year but for now I'm enjoying the calm since I know there likely will be another storm soon for one of them.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by Irena
    And he works that halo.

Our YDS is a pro at this already! Thanks for sharing your story. I agree, most of ODS' behavior "problems" were really just finding something else to do after he'd done whatever they were supposed to be doing.

This is my DD to a tee.

DH and I have finally figured out that the world is divided into two distinct groups of people for my DD-- those IN her circle, and those outside of it.

She is quite slow to show people the "real" DD underneath the "perfect" exterior. Well, it's not that she's "perfect" exactly (she still mostly does as she pleases, and ignores what she doesn't like, but she's very quiet about it and seemingly angelic/placid/agreeable the whole time). People outside that circle LOVE her and think she's the cat's pajamas, and only rarely notice the flaws, or discontinuities in the scenery, so to speak. They also tend not to really understand how gifted she is. She shows them exactly what they need/want to see.

It's only with those inside that circle of truth (who she lets in) that see the ravening beast that she can turn into when thwarted, and who get treated to her mouthiness and verbal precosity. LOL. Boy, are THEY surprised...

We call this "{DD}'s Inner Circle. Think Dante."

grin

I also have a vague sense that many adults who have made that transition with her tend to have an impulse to apologize to DH and I for their earlier judgments about us and our parenting. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    This is my DD to a tee.

DH and I have finally figured out that the world is divided into two distinct groups of people for my DD-- those IN her circle, and those outside of it.

She is quite slow to show people the "real" DD underneath the "perfect" exterior. Well, it's not that she's "perfect" exactly (she still mostly does as she pleases, and ignores what she doesn't like, but she's very quiet about it and seemingly angelic/placid/agreeable the whole time). People outside that circle LOVE her and think she's the cat's pajamas, and only rarely notice the flaws, or discontinuities in the scenery, so to speak. They also tend not to really understand how gifted she is. She shows them exactly what they need/want to see.

It's only with those inside that circle of truth (who she lets in) that see the ravening beast that she can turn into when thwarted, and who get treated to her mouthiness and verbal precosity. LOL. Boy, are THEY surprised...

We call this "{DD}'s Inner Circle. Think Dante."

grin

I also have a vague sense that many adults who have made that transition with her tend to have an impulse to apologize to DH and I for their earlier judgments about us and our parenting. wink

This describes one of my sons exactly. Sometimes when I am talking with his teachers I feel as if I am discussing someone else's son, because DS just doesn't have the same personality at school as he does at home. It is not even close. Last year at the first parent/teacher conference I actually interrupted the teacher to make sure that she was talking about DS and not one of his peers because it didn't sound like him at all. The quiet, shy, calm child described by his teachers bears almost no resemblance to the loud, boisterous, wildly energetic child who lives with me- LOL. wink

Last edited by momoftwins; 02/06/14 09:57 AM.
    N
    N
    I was thinking of this the other day. DD has a pretty restrictive teacher this year, so she brings home a report about once a week that she's had her color changed because of some silly thing -- she touched someone's backpack last week, for instance. Oh, the humanity! She talks when the teacher has said to stop.

But when I think of DS in 2nd grade, I was always in fear of the call from the school or the pink slip (I think he got six that year -- three would have gotten him suspended if it weren't for his blessed IEP) because he was having meltdowns, yelling inappropriate things, and whacked another kid because he got to the light switch first when it was DS' turn. That was the year we started the serious behavioral intervention stuff with the school counselors, outside counselors, social skills groups, etc.

So DD lets us off pretty easy -- and I just laugh at her reports. I can't help it.

Our older DD (now 9) made it all the way to 1st grade before the boredom got to be too much for her. That year she was in trouble from day one and always having to stay after school or bringing home notes from the teacher. This was partly due to just a general poor student/teacher match ("bad fit" as you stated)and the teacher having quite a few students with behavior issues all in the same class. It was pure torture for DD and scary, stressful, and confusing for DH and I. DD9 has matured quite a bit and (sort of sadly) learned what she has to do to blend in better at school. I even had a teacher recently comment on how well she is doing (behaviorally) this year. At home DD9 has some behavior issues, but for the most part she doesn't push the limits.

Then there is DD8 - she is a total pleaser at school. She has tremendous social skills (IMHO - especially considering how far out she is on the bell curve). At school she is never in trouble, offers to help out, gets along with everyone, and tries to do her best at all times - the epitome of the perfect student. Then she comes homes and lets it all fly! At home she is defiant, lazy, and (the one that drives me batty) whines about almost everything. It is like she works so hard at holding it together at school that she hits the threshold of her safety zone at home and unloads all her day's frustrations.

I really don't know which way I'd rather have it: 1. the pleaser kid that never gets in trouble at school, but is hell at home or 2. the kid that gets in trouble at school and knows her boundaries at home.

I do have to admit, it is nice knowing I don't have to worry about what DD8 will do at school today that will warrant a note being sent home or a phone call from her teacher.

M
    M
    It's funny ds6 did well at church preschool. He loved to play, read to the class, and run. His teachers loved him. Kindergarten was disastrous. I think he really started to wrap his head around that he was different or maybe the other kids saw him as different. Rigid teacher- active, highly verbal child- didn't work. This year is better, because teacher is kinder, has more tolerance for my sons personality. He is a pleaser, so he always seeks approval from his teacher. Yet, still no friends at school.

Ds3.5 (at the same church preschool older ds went to) is less obvious about his knowledge (likes to say "I don't know", but if playing a game can add, spell). He told me the other day that he's only kinda smart- lol. Yet, he's more creative about getting what he wants. Ex: he played sick and refused to attend music and Spanish, so the teachers let him stay in the classroom. When I asked him about this, he said, "I like my teachers better than my friends."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM