Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #181371 02/04/14 12:17 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I finally told DS's school that I've had enough, and I withdrew him and transferred him to a different district school. A couple people in upper level admin have been trying to deal with the old school (DD still is stuck there) being so awful and noncompliant, and now transition us over. So there was talk about who DS should have as a teacher, and they put him with someone who has a Master's in special ed. She knew exactly what DCD is and was all over all the neuropsych report and IEP, IEP eval, etc. She asked me how I know his vision is Ok (he had double vision after a brain injury). She told me she really needs more outside reports--as much as I can get. I told her that it will probably be 2" thick and is she sure she wants that and she said she has all weekend to read it. She knew what the WJ test results mean. She said she can figure out what level he is at and give him appropriate work. OMG. She looked at his IEP and didn't look too pleased (as in the services he is getting not being adequate). So I have a feeling she will want the IEP changed.
    She saw DS's atrocious handwriting which has gotten much worse since Sept. and said that it will need to be dealt with ASAP.

She did seem kind of know-it-all and a bit bossy but if she does actually know what she's doing, that doesn't bother me.

We have had such a bad experience so far with teachers that it seems almost shocking that someone would actually want to read DS's medical records and figure out how to help him. Fingers crossed that this is going to work out. He started today and was excited about it, and very laid-back.

K
    K
    Oh I hope this new school and teacher work out. Fingers crossed...

P
    P
    Great news Blackcat!!!

Having someone who "gets it" can be a game changer. This is awesome. From my experience it is going to be a transition for you too. If this teacher gets it you can engage in meaningful discussions about what might work best. It may take some getting used to. Just remember to breathe and give this teacher a chance. She is willing ... sounds eager in fact... to spend her weekend reading information about your DS so she can better meet his needs. I would take a bossy know-it all attitude over what you had before. Soon enough she will see you a partner. If she is this eager for info about him you will be her best source for that.

Enjoy your celebration. You earned it!

M
    M
    Positive thoughts for this teacher knowing and helping your ds!!

L
    L
    Fingers crossed for you and your DS, blackcat - sounds exciting!!! smile

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks everyone. I picked DS up (had to go thru the carpool lane which is new to me) and teacher said it went really well. She said "if you can get me those papers by tomorrow that would be great." "Um, what papers? The medical records?" "Yes." LOL--I just can't get over that. Most people never make it through even the neuropsych report. Ok, then.
    DS was super excited and said everyone is his friend and she gave him hard math which was great. She made him write numbers. So I am glad we switched him. He is so laid back I never should have given it a second thought.

C
    C
    I am so happy to read about your experience. It is so nice to find someone who understand a little something about children like yours, and who is eager to get started differentiating for them. I hope we all can be so lucky.

I remember being denied a 504 for ds and the principal not beleiving in a "dyslexia diagnosis" and then admitting she had no idea how to read the neuropsych report. It is so disheartening to spend so much time and money providing the school with important info only to have them not look at it.

I would love to hear how things continue to go at the new school. I know it won't be perfect, no situation is, but it sounds like they are really on the right track. Good things happen with good heated and educated schools.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, yep, we'll see how it goes. But my first impression is good. Some people that were on his last IEP team will be on the new one, which I'm not crazy about but it seems like this teacher will let them know what they need to do. She already arranged for the SLP to come in and observe him tomorrow.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Teacher showed me DS's writing from yesterday and said that it looks good to her (relatively speaking) and she is really confused about why it was so awful at the other school. She saw his journals and how hideous his writing was. The OT is the same at both schools and she asked the OT and the OT didn't say much. I explained that it was the old teacher--she ignored DS (didn't come right out and say this but implied it), didn't work with him much, and didn't ask or expect much of him. I wish I had had the chance to show the prinicpal at the last school his work and bad it had gotten, since he didn't seem to believe me about the teacher.

She said he is amazing at math and she will be giving him differentiated work. She is still trying to get an idea of his reading.

Now if only I could get this teacher's help in terms of DD. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM