Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    At age 4.5 DS reading level was almost 6th grade but comprehension "only" 2nd grade according to the WJ achievement test. Turns out he had vision issues and he had to focus so much on making his eyes read that he didn't have time to think about comprehension. After vision therapy at age 5.5 his comprehension had gone up to 5th grade.

M
    M
    DD ignores adults when they ask her meaningless questions. When I ask her afterwards why she was being so discourteous, she tells me they were being discourteous first by asking such silly questions. So my first reaction would be that maybe your DS doesn't want to talk about fictional fox's favorite food because it just isn't all that interesting to him. If he is a sweetheart unlike my oppositional DD, please ignore me here.

DD gets really annoyed when I ask her comprehension questions but I force the issue by telling her that I need to know if she is paying enough attention to follow the story so she rolls her eyes and answers my questions.

If this isn't a compliance issue, I'd try talking throughout the book by asking questions and answering them myself with detailed explanations.

It's so interesting how each early reader is different from one another. DD needs to understand what she is reading. She can attack words and decode in isolation but she will not sit and read passages she doesn't understand.

ETA: I agree completely that reading to children is so very important. DD is on a princess stage (Frozen is a gift that keeps on giving...) so we've been reading this as our bedtime story:

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-...0639040&sr=1-3&keywords=beauty+and+beast

It's not a book that she's ready to read on her own (1100L) but she is really enjoying it. We'll be watching the animated Disney version and do compare and contrast afterwards. It's not something we could do if we limited our reading selection to her independent reading level. smile

Last edited by Mana; 01/25/14 01:51 AM.
    It's so interesting how each early reader is different from one another. DD needs to understand what she is reading. She can attack words and decode in isolation but she will not sit and read passages she doesn't understand.

:nodding:

-- and laughing more than a little at the compliance issues outlined. My DD, to a tee.

She actually had some trouble being taught that last little missing bit of "full decoding" because, well, Bob books were so... er...

stupidly insipid. I believe that may be an exact quote on the subject from when she was about 6 and reminiscing about the process. If only there were phonetically controlled readers in a Monty Python or Far Side boxed set for kids like her. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    Calvin and Hobbes version would be fun.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    calvin and hobbes for kids...now THAT would be brilliant.

Originally Posted by Marnie
    calvin and hobbes for kids...now THAT would be brilliant.

yep, that's what I'm getting at with the comics. smile

er...lemme rephrase, it is easy to think of stuff like Calvin and Hobbes as intended for adults because it's so darn good, sophisticated, etc. But there are also other comics out there like that , though you have to do some digging...they're a nice aid for this odd spot for some asynchronous kids.

Last edited by chris1234; 01/25/14 04:14 PM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Calvin and Hobbes version would be fun.
    At 4/5 (when I was looking into K programs) my son was reading through our entire Calvin & Hobbes collection. I worried a bit about him imitating art. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM