Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    I can't watch horror films, either. That commercial with the one that's out now with Liv Tyler freaks me out. My first scary movie moment that never went away was from Jaws. I can't imagine my parents took me to see it when it came out (i would have been 4 or 5), so i must have seen it on TV. Someone is scuba diving and a corpse pops up from inside a sunken boat - yikes!

I can cry at pretty much every movie too - things that are very sad or happy get to me. But adventure and ants crawling out of bad guys mouths don't get to me!

It took me decades to get over the shower scene from Psycho (was that the name of that movie?).

I too can't watch horror films, watch the news....I get these images in my head which won't leave or I just get so profoundly sad. I recall one time, my DH, then my boyfriend, went to the video store to rent Babe Pig in the City, which I wanted to watch. He came back with "Reservoir Dogs" by Quinton Tarantino. I was doing OK until the torture scene. At that point, I ran from the room crying "But I wanted to watch Babe Pig in the City!!!!!"

K
    K
    I'm just like that. I can't do horror films at all. My all time freakiest movie would be Silence of the Lambs. I can still get scared thinking about that movie! I will also start shedding tears at any emotional scene in a movie.

But action/adventure stuff does not bother me a bit!

shocked It's almost like a horror show for me to read how young all of you were when some of these movies came out for the first time!!!! eek

Haha, it really doesn't bother me!

LOL OHG!!

E
    E
    Well, DS had an about face over the past week and decided that the only thing he wanted to do with his Dad on Father's Day was go to see the new Indiana Jones Movie. He did really well and didn't seem upset by any of it. We also do the how they make movie magic discussions. That was the ONLY way to get me through the movies as a child (hmm and maybe still :)).

The movie was entertaining but it would have overwhelmed me until my late teens I think. I have to say I'm with Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes...

C
    C
    I haven't read the replies, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Our DS saw Raiders of the Lost Ark about 6 months ago (at age 8) and he was a little scared during parts of it. However, I realized that the violence was beyond my comfort level for what *I* think is acceptable for him to watch. We're going to wait a few years to see any of the other Indy movies. The second movie in particular is super-gory (remember them lifting out the still-beating heart during the human sacrifice scene?!).

So, in our situation, our son might be perfectly fine to see gore and horror at age 8. But as his parent, I have decided to draw the line at a certain point, at least for the next several years.

My opinion about this sort of this has been forming for years, in part because he loves learning about ancient history and battles and is always begging to see movies like "Troy". My stance is that when a child reads about violence, they can choose (to a certain extent) how much detail to put into their mental picture of what is happening. But when they see the violence/gore in living color, that choice is taken from them, and they must see the scene as the film director wants them to see it. That vision may be too extreme for the child, and you may not know it until it's too late, so to speak.

I realize that I'm fairly conservative in this regard, and also on the low-media end of the spectrum, so take my opinion with that in mind. smile

Tara

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...