Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (lululo4321), 83 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    Hi - not sure if this is a gifted issue, or a bad parenting issue, but here's my thought. My DS4 has tested at AE 8.6. I am wondering if this somehow makes it OK to bring him to see the latest Indiana Jones movie. I was reading the movie reviews online on some of the sites that talk about appropriateness of movies for kids, and many comments I read said the movie's OK for kids 8+ if your kid isn't going to be afraid of the various spooky things in the movie (killer ants crawling in a mouth and dragging a man into their anthill, skeletons, some shooting, etc). DS has been begging to see the movie, and I think this is one of those movies worthwhile to see on the big screen. I read to him all the descriptions of the horrible things that happen, and explained that it's going to look real and it's scarier to really see something like that, and (of course) he insists he wouldn't be scared. (And he's not scared by skeletons and such.)

Am I just being a ridiculous parent, even thinking I could bring my 4-and-a-half-year-old to this? Am I using a "gifted issue" because I just want to bring my kid to the movie? Would appreciate thoughts, especially from anyone who has seen the movie.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 06/05/08 06:46 AM. Reason: I forgot the "and-a-half" - see, he's much older than just 4! ;)
    I don't think this is a parenting issue or a GT issue really. I think this is really more of a kid's personality issue. I have a friend who has taken her kids to all the Star Wars movies and all the other action adventure type movies since they were tiny and they have never gotten scared. My DS10, on the other hand, was scared of Dumbo and the Lion King when he was 1 and 2 years old. He kept seeing possible ramifications of events in the movie, that although they didn't happen, freaked him out a bit. I don't think I will let him see the newest Narnia movie even now (I've heard it is very intense) and probably not the Indiana Jones movie either (until they are on DVD anyway) but that is about how I know he is, not about his being GT or not GT. His imagination runs too wild and he can't keep with what is actually happening in the movie, but rather with what he thinks might happen, which is apparently awful!!! crazy

So I'd say, you know your child and you know what he can handle. I haven't seen the movie but I've heard it is somewhat intense. Maybe others can help you with the actual content.

Last edited by EandCmom; 06/05/08 07:06 AM.
    acs Offline
    I know I'm too young to go and I'm ten times his age! LOL.

I took DS to see the first Pirates of the Carribean movie when he was 7 because people told me it would be fine for kids and because we actually knew someone in it. But as a family we don't watch TV and rarely go to movies and both he and I were on sensory overload for several hours afterwards--we had a hard time shaking the images and a hard time getting to sleep. DH was fine.

So I think it matters if your child is easily overwhelmed by sensory stimuli, if there are things in his life that allow him to be desensitized, if he is likely to get images "stuck" in his head etc.

OP Offline
    Thanks - I like your answer. I will not cloak it in terms of gifted anymore. My child is not very sensitive (which always made me wonder before he was tested for giftedness whether he really was gifted!) And he says all the time "I like being scared!" So maybe we'll just tell him we can leave the movie if it gets too scary, and check it out.

OP Offline
    I guess we're a roller-coaster loving family! DS has seen some of the Star Wars stuff, and wasn't scared.

I think the only sensory stimuli that overwhelms DS is if his clothes get wet - even a drop of water will make him freak out and immediately remove the offending article. (And since it's festival time, now it's happening in crowds, much to my chagrin.) But that's a whole other post...

Sigh....I have a scene from a movie I watched in my late teens, early 20s stuck in my head. The memory recently resurfaced for some reason. Anyone know how to purge memory banks - except for using illegal drugs? I'm sooooooo sensitive to movies and so is my DS.

I think it's a child personality issue.

OP Offline
    I am just reading the Spark (by Dr. Ratey) book recommended by someone on this forum (sorry - can't find the post). It suggests that you can "rewire" your brain concerning some things, using exercise, but I'm not very far along in the book, and don't know if anything can be done about memories. It's a great book, though.

I do have a problem with crying at the end of movies, which DS4 thinks is odd, since I sometimes cry even when the ending is happy.

OP Offline
    Yay! I'll use "Dottie says..." again! I think I could easily bring DS4 to a Lord of the Rings movie, but not DH! I remember we saw the first one, and I glanced over at DH, who was snoring...

K
    K
    I will throw in my 2 cents here since DS7 has seen the Harry Potter movies, the star wars movies, Pirates, Indiana Jones, and some other probably equally inappropriate movies. Many before kindergarten!

I do think it is a combination of personality, sensitivity, attention span, ability to follow the story formula that just varies kid by kid. My husband and I don't watch any TV, but we do love movies. Actually right now we're watching the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD, which is the first TV series we've tried. Of course DS wants in on that action too now!

We're going to see Indiana Jones tomorrow for my birthday. smile

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I'm with kimck. With kids spanning 6-13, the 6 year old ends up watching programs that may have been inappropriate for the 1st or 2nd kid at the same age, primarily so that we can all watch as a family. We try to avoid graphic violence, sex, and profanity. PG-13 or lower for DS9 & DS6. DS-12 & 13 are allowed to watch some R if we're there and assuming it's not just gratuitous sex or violence.

Kimck, if you like DVD sets for TV programs without commercials, I'll tell you our favorites over time (not necessarily in order):

LOST
    Heroes (we Love this, though it's a little scary/suspense)
    Veronica Mars
    The Unit (boys & weapons)
    Intelligence (the kids were not as mesmerized, but it's excellent)
    Firefly (kids Loved this and the movie Serenity)

It makes us sound like we're TV addicts, but we really just watch one program a night and they're shorter than movies (usually about 45 minutes). The continuity is great (we don't have to wait a week to find out what happens--just the next night).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM