Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    I
    My D is 18, and I have noticed there is definitely a majority of parents of younger posters out here! Maybe partly because this resource hasn't been around that long -- if the current group stays around, you can all age together. laugh

T
    T
    I was very stressed just before starting school, up through to finding a solution after a couple of years. The was when I was googling and posting here. I can't imagine getting to nine or ten years old and not having something sorted out is as common and wrangling with first grade.

There is a relatively large number of people who are very eager to see their two year old as unusual, but that doesn't always mean they're unusual. They would disappear as the child got older.

I
    I
    My DS is 8 and in second grade. There is always a problem with one of the exceptionalities with a twice exceptional child... Either the school is failing with regard to the disability or it's failing with regard to giftedness.

N
    N
    I still come and read - my son is 10. He's in 5th grade, and goes to middle school (6th grade) for math. All has been going fine (if you ignore the fact that he is still gettng 100% or very close in most tests). I've relaxed a little, as there is a brand new full time gifted program starting in the fall at his middle school, so I see some challenge in the future smile This board has bene invaluable over the past few years!

M
    M
    I still come and read as well. My son is 9 and doing great, thanks in large part to advice and resources I found here when he was in preschool. I was definitely reeling then and somewhat panicked about school, but our school situation has been so good that I mainly follow the parenting and resource discussions these days.

My DS just turned 10. I was here a lot when he was younger and I was trying to figure things out. Then when he went to kindergarten, I went to work full time. For the most part, I am here less frequently because we found a good fit school for our son. Plus we're much busier than when he was younger. I do try to visit to give BTDT advice when appropriate, since people helped me so much when I had questions. I wish I had more time.

I also came here a lot more when DD was younger. Now that she's in school and more activities, things are easier so I don't feel as much of a need to come here unless I have a specific question or some times just want to check on something.

I agree with what others are saying. A couple of months after finding the right school situation, I completely lost my need to post. Now I occasionally lurk for fun.

Also, in the early days I really needed to tell my stories in order to check my own sanity. For example, this morning I read to DD5 from a chapter book and we discussed foreshadowing; then we did an impromptu probability experiment with coin flips in runs of five. Then it was 7:30 and time to start packing lunches.

A couple of years ago, I would have been all "zOMG! What's going on here??? Hey everybody look! WTF?!?!?!?!" Now it's just another morning with my kid.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    A couple of years ago, I would have been all "zOMG! What's going on here??? Hey everybody look! WTF?!?!?!?!" Now it's just another morning with my kid.

YES this!! I think when the GT thing is new for us we NEED a place to post the stories that we quickly realise we cannot share with other friends/parents and even often family.

As you get into it more, find the solutions that work for you (or switch to homeschooling) and as you and your kids get more comfortable with who they are, you accept it more easily and there is not such a big need to freak out over it.

I still love coming here to share and to learn and to find new things, then again my kids are still relatively young and I love reading the anecdotes and encouragement here.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    My son is seven and I plan to check in regularly, even if we do get it all figured out! It's so helpful to hear from "been there, done that" parents. We've already had to switch schools, be educational advocates, and try to sort out asynchronous development (by far the hardest thing for us to deal with).

Kids in the 140+ range are rare, and it's difficult to talk about their needs and accomplishments without alienating other parents. We haven't gotten far in elementary education, but I can sympathize and provide some of my own experiences to help parents with very young, gifted children. It's hard when a child is emotionally and intellectually far out of sync.

Maybe I can help someone and maybe when my DS is older and we're dealing with mine craft addiction, underachievement, or hormonal unpleasantness--or however he chooses to challenge me, I can use this site for insight and reassurance that "this too shall pass."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM