Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    P
    Ds6 is just finishing y2 (first grade). He gets a single sheet of homework on Monday to be returned Friday but if we don't have time we just write a note on it saying so. He used to have readers but at the moment he just gets books from the library for reading.

OK we are ina different country but i doubt the kids are much different.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Update: Going much better socially--DS reports that his buddy is nice and no one has said anything else unkind. BUT. OMG. Yesterday he brought home a TWELVE-PAGE packet of homework. Due Friday.

Seriously???

We did four pages yesterday, and he was actively complaining. The work is easy for him in terms of reading and understanding, but there's a lot of handwriting practice ("Write these words five times"), which he is still relatively slow at.

If it's going to be like this all the time (maybe this is an assessment packet? please??), we may have to reconsider. frown Is this at all typical for first grade?? 4 pages of reading/writing homework a night? DD's first grade was nothing like this, but she was at an odd charter school.

DS is in first grade and was getting 1 page of math (1 side of 1 sheet) on M-Th. Other than that, he gets nothing written but he is supposed to read books of his choice 20 min. per day. He has a spelling test each week but never looks at the words or studies for it.

DD got one reading worksheet per week in first grade, in addition to the one sheet of math (different teacher). Even in second grade she hardly got anything. Two sides of math instead of one. Now in third she gets the same amount of math, but also has a 4 page spelling packet each week.

What you describe sounds extremely excessive for first grade. My 6 year old would be rebelling if he had to do all that writing.

S
    S
    I know it might make him be seen as not able to handle it...emphasize that this is temporary during his transition to the new expectations.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Today he brought home two additional sheets of reading/writing ...come on!!

M
    M
    Ultramarina, I would not use homework for working on handwriting, he's the. Thinking about handwriting AND the actual task. I'd be going for writi the upper and lower alphabet once a day, on dotted thirds paper. Possibly even copying YOUR pre written alphabet at the start. So he doesn't even have to think about the order of the letters and has a guide for spacing etc.

M
    M
    And that homework is crazy!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Great news! I emailed the teacher and it turns out that she thought I WANTED a ton of homework, or that DS was so into doing work that he would like it, and so gave poor DS this "special" homework packet that no one else got. OMG! I quickly disabused her of this notion and she was totally fine with that and agreed to send home 1 page a day of writing work, which will go along with his 3-4x a week math enrichment work. That is totally fine and manageable.

SO RELIEVED!! And she had nothing but good things to say about DS. In fact, she even said his handwriting was wonderful.

Wow! Communication certainly is important.

D
    D
    Oh, dear, Ultra, I'm glad you sorted that out...

M
    M
    Whew!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Further update: DS isn't in love with going to 1st. frown It seems to be a lot of repetitive writing practice, which he finds dull, and the reading is still way below his level. He isn't exactly saying that he wants to go back to K, but he says he prefers K. ("It's too easy, but I can color and stuff.") Also, he LOVES his amazing K teacher and seems lukewarm on the 1st teacher. Oy. What now? I think we're going to wait a few more weeks, but I'm worried because things got so bad last year in preschool when school was dull and unsatisfying for him. He is never a behavior problem, but he can fall into a gloom and a funk like nobody's business.

(I'd worry that the writing was too hard, but I don't think so. To me hs handwriting looks just okay, as discussed elsewhere, but the 1st grade teacher thinks his handwriting is amazing. I don't see any real resistance to writing tasks. I would describe him as rather more interested in writing than the average boy his age, but not a nutty little story-scribbler like my DD was at this age.)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM