Further update: DS isn't in love with going to 1st. frown It seems to be a lot of repetitive writing practice, which he finds dull, and the reading is still way below his level. He isn't exactly saying that he wants to go back to K, but he says he prefers K. ("It's too easy, but I can color and stuff.") Also, he LOVES his amazing K teacher and seems lukewarm on the 1st teacher. Oy. What now? I think we're going to wait a few more weeks, but I'm worried because things got so bad last year in preschool when school was dull and unsatisfying for him. He is never a behavior problem, but he can fall into a gloom and a funk like nobody's business.

(I'd worry that the writing was too hard, but I don't think so. To me hs handwriting looks just okay, as discussed elsewhere, but the 1st grade teacher thinks his handwriting is amazing. I don't see any real resistance to writing tasks. I would describe him as rather more interested in writing than the average boy his age, but not a nutty little story-scribbler like my DD was at this age.)