Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by Mana
    OT alert.

You guys got me curious about Playmobil minifigs so I googled. I suppose I do get the humor of some of them but I'm rather disturbed by some of the sets, especially by the Axe Man and The Policeman & Tramp. What were they thinking?

Take a look at some of the Lothar Meggendorfer stuff if you want to see disturbing LOL

Very ingenious mechanisms though - very Heath Robinson / Rube Goldberg.

Become what you are
    SLOOH gift certs/cards. DD really enjoyed this during her astronomy/cosmology phase.

(not sure that she's entirely out of this phase, but she's not obsessed the way she was when she was 9-12)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    See, we like that kind of thing. It's admittedly odd, but then again, we're like that.

DD had Far Side collections before she was five, I think, and had seen The Holy Grail twice by the time she was 8 or 9.

Her favorite of the Minis from Playmobil (aside from the obvious winner of the fully tricked-out Hazmat team) is the Caesar one. Got that for her the year we saw Julius Caesar. {snicker} It sits on a shelf next to "Yorick" in her room.

We haven't done far side yet but DS just discovered our collection of Calvin and Hobbes. He is in heaven!

DeHe

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    See, we like that kind of thing. It's admittedly odd, but then again, we're like that.

DD had Far Side collections before she was five, I think, and had seen The Holy Grail twice by the time she was 8 or 9.

Her favorite of the Minis from Playmobil (aside from the obvious winner of the fully tricked-out Hazmat team) is the Caesar one. Got that for her the year we saw Julius Caesar. {snicker} It sits on a shelf next to "Yorick" in her room.

We haven't tried far side yet although DH and I are big fans - DS just discovered Calvin and Hobbes - has been in hysterics for days!

DeHe

B
    B
    I am putting in a bookmark electronic dictionary, so DS can look up new words he comes across while reading, and a metal mini-puzzle. I bought both at Books A Million. The bookmark was around $20 and the puzzle maybe $5? A little pricey for a stocking, but I just put less stuff in to compensate. Oh! And, I also found a Minecraft mini-plush toy there that I'm putting in as well.

D
    D
    Is a harmonica geeky?

I don't know that I'd call it GEEKY, exactly. More like hipster.

In any event, DD8 sure loved hers.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DS loved his harmonica too. That was in the interested in music phase. But years later he still will dig it out - which is much more pleasant than when he digs out the accordion his grandmother gave him!

DeHe

M
    M
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Take a look at some of the Lothar Meggendorfer stuff if you want to see disturbing LOL

I took a look and I wasn't exactly disturbed but fascinated. If I still could talk art history, I would have had something interesting to say but that part of my brain doesn't seem to work anymore.

I couldn't think of anything especially geeky for DD for her stocking so she is getting mostly art supplies but I'm thinking of putting in a little card that says she now has a BrainPOP Jr subscription. She's been religiously watching the free videos for months and is always so sad that she can't access the other videos.

This tee shirt:-

Link

Become what you are
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs