Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    N
    N
    Oh, I thought of something else -- the book called "Pocket Ref" is just astounding.

Also, field guides for anything a person may be interested in -- birds, rocks, etc.

DS got rocks for several years when he was into them -- crystals, agates, geodes and such. And, of course, office supplies are a big hit with both of my kids -- markers, pens, stapler, and last year DS got two of those whiteout tape thingies from Office Depot, and for months DD wanted to go back and shop some more for herself. When the reading program prizes came along, she picked a gift certificate for The Depot (a hamburger place here) because she thought it was Office Depot. smile

I haven't really started on stockings yet this year, except for the Minecraft magnets.

The mention of Radio Shack makes me recall that one can find some cools things on jameco.com, and probably lots of other electronics websites. (little spider robot is an example of a low priced kit - $7.)

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Not sure about Pocket Ref for the kids, but that is TOTALLY what I am getting my dad (and maybe DH)!!! Thanks!

N
    N
    Oh, DS fell in love with Pocket Ref when he was in 2nd grade and his math teacher gave him one. laugh

Not gt-specific by any means, but puzzle erasers are a perennial hit around here.

If your child is picky, specific brands and styles of pencils or pens make an appearance in stockings at at birthdays, too.

Last year I got DD13 a bracelet usb-drive (32gb) and another one that was a really cute little owl.

She really liked that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    OT alert.

You guys got me curious about Playmobil minifigs so I googled. I suppose I do get the humor of some of them but I'm rather disturbed by some of the sets, especially by the Axe Man and The Policeman & Tramp. What were they thinking?

See, we like that kind of thing. It's admittedly odd, but then again, we're like that.

DD had Far Side collections before she was five, I think, and had seen The Holy Grail twice by the time she was 8 or 9.

Her favorite of the Minis from Playmobil (aside from the obvious winner of the fully tricked-out Hazmat team) is the Caesar one. Got that for her the year we saw Julius Caesar. {snicker} It sits on a shelf next to "Yorick" in her room.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Oh, I totally want the Hazmat team set, which seems to be a HTF retired item, and the Caesar is hilarious but the axeman pushes my limit of black humor for toys.

I can't decide if I want the Yoda Santa minifig. It's a bit creepy yet festive at the same time.

S
    S
    Aren't they a German company? They are not bound by American political correctness and shaped by German thought processes.

.I love playmobil, my kids never really got into it. One birthday I got a tiny set as a cake topper for my birthday cake (a shopping cart with a mom pushing it)...she has been called shopping cart mommy ever since...her shopping cart is long since lost. I also got a woman figure key chain with one of my orders and many times my younger son would play with her in waiting rooms and she started being called shopping cart mommy key chain.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    Sweetie, yes, they are a German company. I'm not American but my SO often accuses me of American PC. :P

Going back to OT, this is not small enough as a stocking stuffer but me wants it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/17...chtype=&gclid=CIOFqaeQr7sCFYVlfgod6CYAGQ

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM