Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    LouDD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    thanks Blackcat smile

P
    P
    LouDD, the WJ-III Cognitive Abilities is an a-ok test! I asked because I think you'll find that in the US and on these forums in particular, most of our kids are more typically given the WISC, so a lot of the posts on dysgraphia and slow processing speed are referencing the processing speed subtests on the WISC. My dysgraphic ds has had both the WISC and the WJ-III Cog, and jmo I found both useful, but the WJ-III perhaps had more info in it than the WISC - yet it's been easier to find info on the WISC online.

Do you have a description of the subtests so that you understand the tasks on each? If not, if you want to post which subtest was low I can look it up for you. I think the subtest that was low for my ds was visual-auditory matching (or something like that - I don't have it in front of me at the moment). His discrepancy between that subtest and his highest scoring subtest was over 100 points on the WJ-III; on the WISC the discrepancy between high scores and processing speed scores was less (I think around 50 points but don't remember for sure). His neuropsych strongly recommended that he should never depend on handwriting to show his knowledge, and as he's growing up he's definitely agreeing with his neuropsych lol.

Was the low score on "instruction following" also on the WJ-III? I wouldn't expect dysgraphia to impact how a person takes in information. I'm curious if the instruction following subtest involved an oral question or did your ds have to read the question? And how did he have to respond - if it was a handwritten answer, and particularly if it was a timed subtest, in that case dysgraphia *could* impact the subtest score - which doesn't necessarily correlate at all with whether or not he can follow instructions. Does that make sense? That's why it's so important to look at exactly how each subtest is administered, how a child is expected to reply, and is the subtest timed.

Also curious what test they gave that assessed handwriting at 2nd percentile? Was that also WJ-III? or something else?

FWIW, I don't think there's any reason to bother with a WISC - you have all the same info in the WJ-III, just wrapped up in slightly different packages. Was the WJ-III Achievement Test battery given at the same time? That can be helpful in showing the impact of dysgraphia (and help with diagnosis of whether or not it's dysgraphia impacting a processing speed score).

Did your Ed Psych mention who *can* give a diagnosis of dysgraphia in NZ? And did she mention anything about handwriting in her report? FWIW, this may not make sense, but diagnosing can be confusing. My dysgraphic/dyspraxic ds was not diagnosed with either dysgraphia or dyspraxia in his neuropsych eval - he was diagnosed with Disorder of Written Expression and Developmental Coordination Disorder - those are diagnoses in the DSM-IV which is the standard diagnostic manual used by psychologists working in the US (I don't know if it's used in other countries). I never heard the word "dysgraphia" until after ds' diagnosis when I was trying to research accommodations online and the word kept popping up. I went back to ds' neuropsych and asked if ds was dysgraphic and her reply was "Well, yes, he's obviously dysgraphic." But she put DOWE in his report because that's how her profession categorizes dysgraphic challenges, and in her words, it's also the terminology recognized by our schools. Later on when we sought out speech therapy for ds and written expression, his slp gave him a diagnosis of dysgraphia - using the actual word "dysgraphia". I know some folks here in the US have their children diagnosed by OTs.... but when our ds went through OT he had to already have a diagnosis, or we couldn't get an appointment... hence they used his DOWE diagnosis. So I wonder - perhaps your tester can't diagnose dysgraphia, but maybe you've got the info you need already to determine whether or not your ds needs handwriting remediation or accommodation?

polarbear

P
    P
    ps - also just curious again about the handwriting test and what was being tested where your ds fell into the 2nd percentile - I'm asking because there are so many different ways in which handwriting can be impacted.... no time to explain at the moment, I'll be back. Just curious which specific set of skills were assessed smile

pbear

I think I was one of these kids; and I know my ds13 tested like that high in some areas, visual spatial (and spelling?) anyway, very low processing speed.
    I was and am very slow at math computation but do great with concepts and logic. I see this same pattern with my son - math fact sheet? no thank you, we did those for a few years and finally just told the school NO. (Now we homeschool altogether so that is nice).

I think of it this way, but don't know if the physiology/growth of the brain really goes like this:
    like a database being built on the fly, you might build a few of the main tables and start collecting data.
    over the years (by age 6, 7, 10?)
    you've built up BILLIONS of rows of records, and many more
    tables.
    Naturally, data is sluggish to return when queries are run,
    however:
    The dba (the brain) will figure out what items are to be
    returned quickly, where to create short cut/reference tables
    and indexing, etc.
    Eventually the paths/data you love to access comes to you EXTREMELY quickly, optimized as it were, but still you might be a bit sluggish on the stuff you *know you need* but don't prefer...

this process takes time (years).

K
    K
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    I think I was one of these kids; and I know my ds13 tested like that high in some areas, visual spatial (and spelling?) anyway, very low processing speed.
    I was and am very slow at math computation but do great with concepts and logic. I see this same pattern with my son - math fact sheet? no thank you, we did those for a few years and finally just told the school NO. (Now we homeschool altogether so that is nice).

I think of it this way, but don't know if the physiology/growth of the brain really goes like this:
    like a database being built on the fly, you might build a few of the main tables and start collecting data.
    over the years (by age 6, 7, 10?)
    you've built up BILLIONS of rows of records, and many more
    tables.
    Naturally, data is sluggish to return when queries are run,
    however:
    The dba (the brain) will figure out what items are to be
    returned quickly, where to create short cut/reference tables
    and indexing, etc.
    Eventually the paths/data you love to access comes to you EXTREMELY quickly, optimized as it were, but still you might be a bit sluggish on the stuff you *know you need* but don't prefer...

this process takes time (years).

You've described my ds12. Never liked math worksheets or being made to do minute maths...yet can understand concepts quickly.

I love your analogy; it really helps me to understand my own ds.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by LouDD
    Hello

Help.. !

So confused...

Our 7 yr old was just tested as gifted but very slow processing.. like VERY slow.. his GIA was severely compromised bc of his processing score... but the Ed Psych still said he was a perfect candidate for ODS due to his reasoning score.

The difference between his highest score and lowest was 49 points ! that's 3 SD isn't it ?

Should we take him to a psych to test for Dyspraxia or (inattentive) ADD?

What are some other causes of slow processing speed?

Someone told me that it is bc they are simply thinking too many things over at once when gifted! That an answer isn't as simple as black and white so they literally have too much info going on?

What can I do to help him ? the huge difference is a worry.

We also have another HG older son.. but his processing is in the 99.8th percentile.. so this is all new to us.. and very scary ! I want to do what is right for him.. but also know that telling the school to focus on his (dis) ability will simply make him MORE bored and disillusioned with school frown

The Ed Psych did little in her recommendations to help except tell us to give him cards with pictures to get him used to a routine in the morning ! which he doesn't need.. he is no different to any other child in terms of routine or getting out the door or following instructions... he simply takes longer to process academic info or questions... he is perfectly able in all other areas of attention and focus... he can sit and do a 100 piece puzzle till its finished etc ... spend ages looking up the theory of evolution of animals.. or watching a documentary...

Please help ! and thank you !

You've had lots of good feedback. I'll just add that our ds12 took the WISC IV last year and had a large spread between his VCI and his processing speed index. Part of the issue for ds isn't that his processing speed is that low, because it's in the average range, but that his VCI is so high. Ds's tester attributed this slowness to perfectionism. Personally, I think there's more to it than that. He's a slow and careful thinker...but very deep. We have not done further testing. We're leaving that particular door open though we do wonder if the school would view asking for extra time for work and tests would seem preposterous since he holds his own academically even after a grade skip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM