Originally Posted by LouDD
Hello

Help.. !

So confused...

Our 7 yr old was just tested as gifted but very slow processing.. like VERY slow.. his GIA was severely compromised bc of his processing score... but the Ed Psych still said he was a perfect candidate for ODS due to his reasoning score.

The difference between his highest score and lowest was 49 points ! that's 3 SD isn't it ?

Should we take him to a psych to test for Dyspraxia or (inattentive) ADD?

What are some other causes of slow processing speed?

Someone told me that it is bc they are simply thinking too many things over at once when gifted! That an answer isn't as simple as black and white so they literally have too much info going on?

What can I do to help him ? the huge difference is a worry.

We also have another HG older son.. but his processing is in the 99.8th percentile.. so this is all new to us.. and very scary ! I want to do what is right for him.. but also know that telling the school to focus on his (dis) ability will simply make him MORE bored and disillusioned with school frown

The Ed Psych did little in her recommendations to help except tell us to give him cards with pictures to get him used to a routine in the morning ! which he doesn't need.. he is no different to any other child in terms of routine or getting out the door or following instructions... he simply takes longer to process academic info or questions... he is perfectly able in all other areas of attention and focus... he can sit and do a 100 piece puzzle till its finished etc ... spend ages looking up the theory of evolution of animals.. or watching a documentary...

Please help ! and thank you !

You've had lots of good feedback. I'll just add that our ds12 took the WISC IV last year and had a large spread between his VCI and his processing speed index. Part of the issue for ds isn't that his processing speed is that low, because it's in the average range, but that his VCI is so high. Ds's tester attributed this slowness to perfectionism. Personally, I think there's more to it than that. He's a slow and careful thinker...but very deep. We have not done further testing. We're leaving that particular door open though we do wonder if the school would view asking for extra time for work and tests would seem preposterous since he holds his own academically even after a grade skip.