Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    After writing this, I realize my grandfather and uncle were not always textbook motivated to learn math/physics but was still intensely driven to gain knowledge with transistors, wires, and other electrical do-dads.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    To my mind the most useful way for parents of the children we talk about here to think is probably "My child's IQ is never likely to be the factor that limits their achievement. So what else matters, and how do I remove the obstacles that might otherwise limit my child?".
    Unfortunately, for some, the child's IQ does become a factor that limits their achievement, because our society may only be interested in teaching to a different strata.
    To clarify, my point is that many parents on gifted forums report experiencing schools which are focused on teaching lower-achieving students while gifted students are faced with benign neglect.

During the school day, gifted students may be socially isolated, expected to teach themselves, and/or pressed into service tutoring low achievers, rather than being grouped with intellectual peers at a similar level of readiness and ability and being taught with appropriate curriculum and pacing at their challenge level. The current thread on deliberate self-harm discusses some of the problems which can occur when a child is steeped in this type of toxic learning atmosphere.

Meanwhile, the subject of correlation between early milestones and giftedness seems closely related to this recent thread: 4yo needing constant input which describes the difficulty in keeping up with a child and how exhausted parents can become in supporting the natural pace of learning set by their gifted child(ren).

E
    E
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    I find this interesting with a 2e pg son and thinking about the childhoods of people such as Stephen Hawking and someone who I knew briefly that worked at a very high astrophysics level (ie. helped discover the Higgs Boson and worked at the CERN, etc.).

I haven't read Hawking's bio, but I believe that Hawking didn't show much aptitude or display his remarkable abilities until much later in life. Ditto for the astrophysicists I briefly knew. I asked his recent widow if she knew whether her husband was like my son (ie. flying through algebra at 8 yrs old) but she said that he wasn't like that at all as a child.

I'm not sure if these two individuals (Hawking and the other astrophysicist) just didn't display pg signs, if they were late bloomers, didn't put up a stink in school or something else was going on. But it's somewhat hard for a mere mortal to wrap their head around. I know the astrophysicist, who I knew, was a very unassuming, shy, quiet, gentle man who did not wear his achievements on his sleeve. So it's entirely possible that perhaps he just slipped under the radar with his earlier education and then excelled once at university and as an adult. I don't know.

Cdfox, my mind's awhirl with your post, because it raises some very interesting points. My guess is that the learning style and interests(hands-on, VSL, creative, taking things apart) of these people were probably not recognized in the classroom with the focus on auditory-sequential learning in areas outside of their domain of strength. In fact, the very nature of how they learn was most likely viewed as a problem in the classroom and their spatial strengths regarded purely as a mechanical or practical aptitude. Maybe late blooming is really just late recognition once they are finally able to enter university.

As to how to remove the obstacles for your DS and other strong spatial learners, it seems like a systemic problem. Despite the growing focus on STEM, advocates are still in the stage of making a case for the importance of spatial skills and inclusion in selection criteria and assessments.

According to the Vanderbilt study listed below that shares your concern about how many spatially talented students are missed by talent searches, "70% of the top 1% in spatial ability did not make the cut for the top 1% on either the math or the verbal composite".
    https://my.vanderbilt.edu/smpy/files/2013/02/Wai2009SpatialAbility1.pdf

Is there an opportunity to get help from someone experienced in gifted advocacy for your DYS situation? Perhaps someone such as Linda Silverman at GDC, who specializes in VSL research and understands learning challenges. My PG 2e science loving DS and I will be trudging up behind you and your DS in a few years, so please leave big footprints and a flashlight wink

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/162888/1.html

http://www.spatiallearning.org/

Thanks EmeraldCity. I'm trying. Really I am trying here to make heads and tails of the situation. It's not easy with these 2e kids and I'm finding that there aren't many road maps or guides here. Jake Barnett is seen as an anomaly, I think.

Most pg 2e kids are not featured or identified as easily as people like Terence Tao or Tanishq Abraham -- who displayed profoundly giftedness in infancy or around 2 years old. My son had global developmental delays and other issues so I had dismissed those examples because they didn't reflect my son's asynchronous development which was partly due to his special needs. One of the reasons Jake Barnett has garnered attention is due to the autism and due to him not reaching those early developmental milestones like Tao or Abraham or many pg kids either.

I contacted Dr. Linda Silverman a couple of years ago. I also saw her colleague Dr. Lovecky last June. She inadvertently muddied up my head a bit more, though, by saying she thought my son was more a mixed learner and not a true vsl which I had previously thought. Still, ds8 definitely has visual spatial strengths -- despite being born with visual deficits and been recently diagnosed with convergence insufficiency. And in fairness, Dr. Lovecky gave some sound, practical advice to follow before pursuing future assessments and testing.

I'm thinking about contacting Joanne Ruthsatz or someone like her. I contacted Ellen Winner at BC (who studies prodigies) after reading a NPR article and she responded to my e-mail, but that was it. Annoying. It's not like you can easily find these people to help.

Still, your points about learning style, environment and the focus within the classroom are very valid. VSL gifts are often neglected and underrepresented in g/t and other programs. That's very true. And schools are very much asl-focused and geared to those who are rule-based. That's one of the reasons why math, music, and chess prodigies have been studied so much -- 1) relatively easy to identify, 2) very asl and rule-based who are easy to study and research. They stand out. The same cannot be said for many vsls.

There's also always been less attention and credit given to informal and visual learning. Ian Stewart makes this case for math and how math should be much more visually based than it currently is but won't be because visual maths is seen as being less rigorous or intellectual as formal maths is. And while Benoit Mandelbrot may have shown interest in math in early childhood, he wasn't a math prodigy or a pg either -- yet he's the founder of fractal geometry!

Charles Darwin, too, didn't enjoy school or do well in it. Ditto for Edison, Roald Dahl, Bee Gees, somewhat the Beatles, and many, many others. We just tend to forget those who didn't play by the rules or be more sequential/orderly oriented.

Indigo - your points about the school, curriculum, and environment are accurate and relate to EmeraldCity's points and what we've previously experienced with ds8. But, of course, one of the problems is that most gifted schools do not cater and cannot/will not accommodate pg kids, especially if there's only one pg kid involved. In these situations, it can become, as you've aptly described, a toxic atmosphere.

B
    B
    Both of my kids are much higher with the perceptual reasoning index on the WISC than verbal. DD scored 153 with extended norms. DS appears to have a photographic memory (or something close to it)--how many 6 year olds know the exact shape of Idaho or any other state and can draw it from memory?
    I'm not sure how it's going to play out in a gifted program where the focus will probably be on writing and reading. DS is very strong in math along with the visual-spatial skills, but he is quirky and 2e.

The pscyh who gave DD the WISC wrote a lot about visual spatial learners in the report with a lot of links and info for us and the school--but I doubt anyone from the school would actually check any of those references or try to tailor a program to her needs. DS's neuropsych also said something in his report about the high perceptual reasoning score and how he may struggle in a traditional school setting. Right now he is doing ok--he is about 2.5 years ahead or grade level in reading and 3 in math--but the gap will probably close at some point for reading.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by EmeraldCity
    ... Maybe late blooming is really just late recognition ...

Exactly. A lot of so-called "late bloomers" are actually "early bloomers" who are recognized late.

Most pg 2e kids are not featured or identified as easily as people like Terence Tao or Tanishq Abraham -- who displayed profoundly giftedness in infancy or around 2 years old. ... One of the reasons Jake Barnett has garnered attention is due to the autism and due to him not reaching those early developmental milestones like Tao or Abraham or many pg kids either.

I think the Jake Barnett case is something quite different from what you describe. Instead, he did display profound giftedness at a very young age, but the professionals, incompetently, did not understand what they were looking at, and so they incorrectly diagnosed autism when there was no autism.

E
    E
    But, of course, one of the problems is that most gifted schools do not cater and cannot/will not accommodate pg kids, especially if there's only one pg kid involved. In these situations, it can become, as you've aptly described, a toxic atmosphere.

Cdfox, your DS is lucky to have such a strong advocate. I will PM you with the name of someone who I hope can help.

You're right about the gifted schools. So many seem to prefer high-achieving gifties within a certain range of abilities without any of the more challenging characteristics.

The question then becomes what to do for the outliers of the outliers?

M
    M
    Hi everyone - this is just a reminder to please keep this thread on topic, in regards to Marnie's original post.

Thank you!

Mark

B
    B
    From my experience as a parent of much older kids. (Mine are 19 & 14, and I've known many other kids their age.) There are some toddlers that are just obviously gifted. They read incredibly early, or pick up an instrument, or show amazing mathematical ability. And others that don't really bloom and show until they are 7 or 8. Kids are all different and it's very hard to test preschool age kids for giftedness.

For example my son was one of those obviously gifted at 3, while one of my BF's girls wasn't interested and didn't really read well until the beginning of 2nd grade and then she just bloomed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM