Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I am not sure how to phrase this without getting into trouble, but I am going to try because I am very curious about this. Please help me keep the discussion positive.

Would you agree that how we learn is one of the defining aspect of giftedness? (If not, then what?)

What are the strengths of gifted learners? (This is mostly review but I'm hoping to have them listed in one spot)

And what are the strengths of learners in the center of the bell curve?

ETA: changed 3rd question a bit (I couldn't think of the way to say it and forgot NT)... what I'm wondering I guess is if gifted learners are just more, like most kids are curious and gifted learners just tend to be more curious, or if it's like a Venn diagram, with gifted learners and traditional learners having mostly unique qualities and some overlap?

Last edited by Somerdai; 11/24/13 10:11 AM.
    C
    C
    Not really with you - like NT learners, gifted learners have a wide variety of strengths. What do you mean by "in the centre"?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I changed my original post a bit, does that answer your question, CollinsMum? I mean strengths particularly in how we learn, not just in general, since yes, I believe we all have strengths in one way or another.

I wrote it around 3 am so it made sense to me, lol, but maybe it's one of those things that rattle around in my brain that I should keep to myself. Oh well, it's out there now. blush

K
    K
    I would think the answers would depend on the individual but maybe someone else here has a different take...

I think I get what you're asking. I don't have a lot of time to expound right now, but I'll just throw a few thoughts out there to see if I'm getting at the heart of your question.

I've been interested in exploring the link between aptitude and personality type. Here's an article that goes into some research showing that the gifted population has a higher percentage of I's, N's, and P's on the Myers Briggs: http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...sychological-types-of-gifted-adolescents

And here's an article discussing how personality preference can lead to different behavior at school: http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/documents/x-PersonalityandSchoolAdjustment.pdf

Most explanations of the Myers Briggs go to great lengths to show that each personality type has unique strengths. If the gifted population has a different mix of personalities compared to the NT population, it would stand to reason that the gifted population would tend to have different strengths compared to the NT population, even though individual personality type will vary.

S
    S
    I will take a stab at one difference... Repetition. The farther along the bell curve, I believe the less repetition necessary to understand a concept.

Often attention to detail or awareness of/interest in details is another.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    I think I get what you're asking.
    I don't.

I guess I possess the particular "strength" that enables me to look at a question and make a list of possible questions that could conceivably be being asked, but I totally lack the particular "strength" that enables me to figure out what the asker is is actually asking.

Originally Posted by Somerdai
    I'm wondering I guess is if gifted learners are just more, like most kids are curious and gifted learners just tend to be more curious, or if it's like a Venn diagram, with gifted learners and traditional learners having mostly unique qualities and some overlap?

My take is that gifted learners tend to be qualitatively different, especially when you get to the higher LOG. I will try to explain my understanding, but I'm afraid this will get tedious and jargon-y!

The first article that I linked to, found that 50% of the gifted in their study identified as either INFP, INTP, ENFP, or ENTP. Whereas, those types comprised only 15% of their normative group (the general population has a similar percentage.) One thing in common between those four types, is that each has Extraverted Intuition as their dominant or auxiliary cognitive function. From Wikipedia: "Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action."

Compare that to the 4 most common types identified in the US population: ESTJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ. Each of these has Introverted Sensing as either their dominant or auxilliary cognitive function. From Wikipedia: Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.

After comparing those cognitive styles, I come to the conclusion that many (but not all) gifted students aren't just more curious than NT students; they are curious in a different way. While a typical NT student might be collecting apparent data and comparing it to a similar past experience, a gifted student might be digging below the surface, asking what-if questions, imagining new possibilities, making connections to other areas of knowledge, etc.

The second article goes into the fact that many students, especially SJ's, will do what they've been asked without much fuss. A Perceiver student is more likely to object to things that seem pointless or "not right" for them. Specifically, TP students will lose respect for the teacher and will probably put as little effort as possible into getting assignments done; FP students will argue and feel deeply misunderstood and offended by assignments that don't have value to them.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the replies.

Space Cadet, it's interesting that you mentioned personality types (I enjoyed the links), because that's actually what got me thinking about this. It seems to be neutral to talk about your child being an extrovert or an introvert, perhaps because there are certain advantages and disadvantages inherent in both types. I began to wonder if it would be easier to discuss gifted and NT if each side perceived the others' strengths. The scenario in my head is at play group or the bus stop and a mom says, "I have an NT learner and it's great because _____."

For strengths of gifted learners, I think about faster pacing (like SAHM said less repetition), absorbing large quantities of information, linking diverse ideas, seeing patterns, intense focus, a good memory, that sort of thing.

I was just wondering if there were other advantages to being an NT learner, such as perhaps (in general) compliance, an adequate fit with traditional school and curriculum, ability to move on, or something like that (I just made these up as examples).

Although perhaps the strengths of both groups are more related to personality or learning styles than being gifted or NT.

22B, you made me laugh. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM