Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    I just went through a battle with my DS's teacher to get his MAP-P scores (at our school they don't give any of them out to parents of kids in younger grades). I had to ask four times (and the fourth time I invoked FERPA and insisted I had the right to all his school records) before she gave them to me. Of course then she insisted that she had "never meant to withhold them," which was patently untrue. But even if it isn't the school's policy to give out the scores, you have the right to request them. Good luck!

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, Blackcat, that test does sound similar to MAP testing. I am taking the grade equivalents with a BIG grain of salt! smile

Originally Posted by Loy58
    MAP is giving me a crazy lexile level of roughly 1110-1270, so her 3rd grade reading report card grades are not very helpful in illustrating whether she is making progress, KWIM?

This may not be as crazy a score as you think. You can check scholastic's book wizard to search for books in that range, and there are over 300 that pop up in the 3rd grade level. The Wind in the Willows is 1140 Lexile. Here's a link to the search results: http://www.scholastic.com/tbw/quick...95+1496+1497+1498+1499+1500+1501+1000131

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the link! This is super-helpful in case we run into a teacher who insists she only read at her lexile level. Her teacher this year actually had the opposite reaction and told us at conferences that she gave DD a slightly lower "fake" lexile level for school (I think they are sometimes asked to search for books independently, it is not that the teacher won't allow her to read anything in her lexile), so that she would not accidentally run into material that was overly mature and inappropriate.

Fortunately, DD loves to read!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    ... gave DD a slightly lower "fake" lexile level for school
    Some may say this does not seem right, but rather may represent a glass ceiling. Even when done as a way to help a kiddo choose age-appropriate reading material.

Are the books at school arranged only by lexile? Is there no way to find books to choose among, by genre? Fiction / Non-fiction? Biography? Historical Fiction? Nature? A parent can't take on every issue, but someone someday may wish to ensure kids at school can read up to their challenge level without undue concern they may find mature content.

Meanwhile it's great that she has a mom who appreciates her love of reading, so she can read up to her level outside of school. You may have already shared whether you are keeping a reading list, but I do not recall. Some parents like to keep a list of books their child reads... including lexile or reading level, and date. Such lists may prove valuable for future advocacy... for example substantiating interests, and/or demonstrating independent preparation or self-study in an area, when an opportunity arises which may have prerequisites. This may become important especially if the school has a lower lexile level on file.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I actually thought that the "fake" lexile range was a bit odd at first, but when the teacher explained the reasoning behind it - she really was thinking "like a mom" - and I actually appreciate that she cared about DD, who turned 8 this summer, stumbling across sex and violence when looking for books on her own.

We go to the library OFTEN and USE our library, so DD reads - fiction, nonfiction, in-lexile, out-of-lexile, including above-lexile (we realize it is just a guide) - no problems there! She is the kid I need to tell, "STOP READING AND GO TO SLEEP!" But it is a great problem to have, really. smile

My bigger problem is tracking her progress - and this is why the MAP test interests me. I seems like at least "a" (and certainly not a sole) measure for progress above grade-level. When she brings home 100% grades on schoolwork that looks easy for her, I am not necessarily convinced she is making progress in learning. I need to find more/better ways to ensure she continues learning in various subjects.

I do appreciate the suggestions and concern - this place is great! I love the idea about keeping track of the books - that is easy to overlook when you have a "book eater." wink Thanks so much!!!

Thank you also for the suggestions about FERPA. I am familiar with it, but I hate even bringing up the law, if I can accomplish my goals with gentler persuasion. I want to avoid making anyone adversarial, if possible. I am very happy to have it in my back pocket, though.

Last edited by Loy58; 10/23/13 07:52 AM. Reason: Confidentiality
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent