Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 298 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi! I cannot ask this question anywhere else, so I am wondering if other parents can give me an idea...what do you consider "good RIT point growth" from year to year (fall to fall) on MAP tests for your DC, who was already scoring well? I am trying to evaluate DD's growth since last fall (2nd grade, current 3rd grade), and while I can find some ideas about growth for the average child online, I am wondering what it usually looks like/should look like for a child who is already scoring well on these tests? Also, do you consider MAP tests useful/accurate over the long run? This will help me evaluate whether DD has been on a good path school-wise, enrichment-wise, etc. (and possibly make adjustments for younger DS, who might have the same schools, programs). At the moment, I think her growth looks pretty good, but I am comparing it to "average growth charts" I've found online. TIA for any opinions, feedback, links. smile

Q
    Q
    I would still use the RIT Growth projection in the report as a guideline. I don't think there is a hard or fast rule as there are several competing considerations. MAP tests, like other achievement type tests, can be useful when you have many data points over time. It can also validate other type of testing being done when all the tests are consistent. However, the MAP testing is also limited so I would not gauge progress/growth solely on the MAP scores either.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks! I should clarify - I am not trying to use MAP testing as a sole measure. It is interesting, though, since they can perform above grade level. Also, we did not get growth goals last fall, so I do not have anything to go on there. Thanks, again!

Hello Loy58, I don't have any links for you right now re: whether there are gifted growth charts, but I some of my personal opinions about MAP and growth. When dealing with GT kids, the MAP seems like a great tool in elementary, particularly the lower grades. Once your kiddo starts getting very high scores on the 2-5 test, you'll want to request that they are given the 6+ version, as there will be more higher level questions.

I think the growth for GT kids may at times be lower than the average, as they're already ahead and need to be exposed to new things to get further ahead. Many kids will continue to learn through osmosis and continue to get good growth on the MAPs, and I'm sure some schools will try to challenge the kids more if they get crazy high MAPs. But many schools don't pay a lot of attention to the MAP scores. As a gifted student goes into higher grades, they will start hitting the ceilings of the test and the data will not be useful. You may want to do some talent search tests if you are having ceiling issues, so you can get good information from an above-level test.

Personally, if I see that my kiddo is still getting scores in the same percentile, and still getting some sort of increase in RIT score, then that's good enough.

Also, remember that if your kid is 99th percentile for grade, you'll want to check the charts in appendix B in the link below. Hitting the number at grade level that is the lowest for 99th percentile is quite different from hitting a much higher number, which may put you at high percentiles several grades up.

The appendices below have
    http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA%202011%20Norms%20Report_01.17.2012_2.pdf

OK, I'm feeling like I just gave a bunch of really vague info. Sorry! Someone else will hopefully post some more concrete info. smile

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I am probably paying more attention to these scores this year, because they comprise 1/2 of the school's screening for G&T.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I think the growth for GT kids may at times be lower than the average...

See this is what I prepared myself for, because I think I read this somewhere, too! DD grew 20 points in math and 22 in reading. Her percentiles were very high last year, so the percentiles alone are not telling me much. wink I actually wish I had growth projections from last year, because that would help (I do have them for the upcoming spring). It IS interesting to see the scores relative to different grades, though - thanks! Not vague, I appreciate the response! smile

We only have these 2 scores so far, as the school did not take any others for her. Fall 2nd grade was her first time taking MAP tests.

F
    F
    just as an FYI. Growth is measured fall to spring not fall to fall. Also as the scores get higher the growth will be less.

Loy, How many times does your school test on MAPs? Our school tests 3 times a year (fall, winter, spring), and I always like to see an upward trend. There have been a couple of times where DS's fall score dropped a bit from the previous spring, usually in math, as he doesn't do any math over the summer. That is pretty common. Sounds like your DD got some great growth though, if that was a spring to fall jump.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Loy, How many times does your school test on MAPs?...Sounds like your DD got some great growth though, if that was a spring to fall jump.

Thanks! It is actually fall to fall, because I have no other data. They only gave one MAP test all year last year, in the fall of 2nd grade. Starting in 3rd grade, the school will give the test 3 times a year, I believe. Right now, I only have the 2 fall scores (last fall and this fall), and I'm just trying to understand what, if anything, they tell me about her growth.

MAP is giving me a crazy lexile level of roughly 1110-1270, so her 3rd grade reading report card grades are not very helpful in illustrating whether she is making progress, KWIM?

Another side issue - we were told in a group that parents would not get the winter scores this year ("these are only for teachers"), but I would actually like those winter scores. I would like to know if she is growing and being challenged this year before spring MAP tests (reading and math work seem easy for her, but I am hoping that is because I only see her homework and not everything they do everyday). Again, I know that MAP testing is not the only measure, but because her scores are coming in above grade level (and she IS performing above grade level in everyday life), it is the only above-grade-level measure that I have at the moment. I am hoping for some type of progress - at least that she hits the upcoming RIT projections (but they seem modest). Anyone have any luck with their schools sharing scores with them that the schools were reluctant to give? I really feel as though if they are collecting data on our DC, they should be sharing this with parents. I appreciate hearing what others here think are reasonable expectations for growth, too. Thanks, again, so much!

S
    S
    Anyone have any luck with their schools sharing scores with them that the schools were reluctant to give? I really feel as though if they are collecting data on our DC, they should be sharing this with parents. I appreciate hearing what others here think are reasonable expectations for growth, too. Thanks, again, so much!
    -------------

Federal Law says you have a right to ALL records kept on your child. I would take a letter to the front office that says that you have a right to see it under Federal Law and you would like the score and will come back in a reasonable amount of time, I would say 72 hours, to collect it, although they do have up to 45 days to give it to you. (well obviously you will ask for it after you know they have it). You can word the letter really nice but mention FERPA...if they collect the information on your child, you have the right to review it, they don't have the right to withhold it for teachers only. If they don't want to share it, then they shouldn't take time out from learning to collect it.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    B
    B
    Our district uses a test similar to MAP. Someone suggested to me that I request the teacher print out a "Suggested Learning Objectives" form from the test website for my child. From that, I was able to see specifics of what DD should be learning next, for instance what math concepts she needs to learn next, and that she should be working on 6th grade material for a certain type of reading passage and 7th grade for another. From just her scores and percentiles, I had no idea what grade level she was testing at. I don't know if they have something similar for MAP, but I found it somewhat helpful in terms of it telling me specifics about what she's mastered on the test and what she needs to work on next.

The school is pretty open about sharing percentiles, but specific info needs to be requested from the teacher. The teacher probably thought I was a nut even asking (and probably didn't know she could print out such a thing), but that's Ok. All the school cares about is that the scores go up. They don't really care what level a kids is at or use the scores to differentiate instruction and give kids material at the correct level(at least that's what my cynical side says). I am almost positive DD is not given reading at a 6th-7th grade level even though that's what the test says should be done. And that is definitely not happening with math.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM