Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I have been all over WTM forum and everywhere under the sun trying to feel comfortable with homeschooling. I am a planner and love structure. I am loving the idea of homeschool. My hard time stems from not finding the right method. Buying a bunch of different books makes me nervous. There is no structure or plan involved and I feel like I would be left in the dark. I need something more mapped out, at least for right now getting started. (some have mentioned staying away from methodology)
    I am so drawn to the waldorfy type curriculum but it is so age based and less intellectual/academic based. I think DD would enjoy it for the fact of drawing and stories but think it would be so easy for her=no challenge. Also DH and I believe in having a strong academic foundation. I think waldorf-inspired could appeal to gifted children but I'm so unfamiliar with all this stuff that I'm not sure I would know how to tweak it for DD.

I've also looked at classical and CM stuff. That approach seems unnatural to me.
    I guess this is more of a thinking out loud post. I feel so lost and I've been readin so much stuff for at least a week now. I'm open for suggestions though smile

Have you looked at virtual schooling?

That's like homeschooling-- with a net.

Someone ELSE devises the curriculum, etc. and keeps all the records for you...

I remember when I was starting to look at homeschooling with my DD3, I looked at a LOT of different pedagogical philosophies. It did make me feel a lot like Alice in Wonderland, though.

Eventually you do make sense of it and come to something that resonates with your own beliefs about education, and hopefully with your own child. Everyone I know thought one thing going into homeschooling and wound up changing gears several times until things fit, by the way. Just remember-- kids are really resilient, and it's okay to try something and not have it work out perfectly as we envisioned, too.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    If you need structure and a plan, how about going to your state department of education website and identifying what your state expects your child to know by the end of the year. See where your child is compared to where you want her to be. Break down what she needs to know in manageable pieces and try to make broad goals, such as learn XYZ by the end of a certain month and think of ways to approach that smaller goal. Your child may surprise you.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Have you looked at virtual schooling?

That's like homeschooling-- with a net.

Someone ELSE devises the curriculum, etc. and keeps all the records for you...

I was going to suggest the same. If that is an option for you, it might be a good place to start. It'd be a good transitional tool if you decide not to use it beyond this year. If it's a good fit then you are spared from having to reinvent the wheel. So why not give it a try?

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you! Other than k12 I haven't seen any virtual schools in my searches.

Any recommendations to get me started?

The two which are MOST likely to have a free virtual charter school in your state are k12 or Connections Academy.

We've been with the latter for eight years. Your state may have something home-brewed all its own, too. Check with the department of education for your state, as some of them have good information about both homeschooling (as in, resources and contact info for local groups) and virtual schooling.

HTH!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    F
    F
    Based on my experience, I would not go the virtual school route. We are having a very difficult time this year with my 6yo because the curriculum, even above grade-level, is just so simplistic and boring. We've homeschooled our kids for 10+ years and I thought I would try the virtual school because I was burning through curriculum so fast with my youngest. It's not that the curriculum is necessarily bad, but it has been a bad fit for a really advanced student and she is still required to take grade 1 reading assessments throughout the year, even though she is reading at 5th grade level. So she is literally sitting there sounding out nonsense words and simple letter sounds with a teacher. I am not sure how much longer I can deal with it and she is constantly telling me school is wasting her time smile

I know a lot of people that homeschool talk about their "philosophy" behind educating their kids, and that is great and all, but really every kids is different and every family homeschools for different reasons. I wouldn't agonize so much about what method to use, I would just research the main subjects and start with them, adding the extras as you get more comfortable. I think the biggest mistake new homeschoolers make is spending way too much money on curriculum the first year.

I really like organization and structure and I homeschooled for many years checking off boxes, but then I had a kid that was very advanced. And she learns quickly and her learning doesn't always wait for my plan. I have just had to accept that and I am much happier.

How old is your child?

I would second the virtual school route. I get what floradm is saying about it still being too easy. That is definitely true, but you have more time on your hands to supplement as you see fit. You can provide your kids with more challenging work after they have completed their daily lessons through the virtual school.

With a virtual school I don't have to worry that I missed something and my kids are not going to get into college because I made a clerical error. I love that safety net.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations