Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
    M
    M
    Good point about the kids (players) and parents being kept separate. The tournament itself is in a separate room from the parents; you can't watch the kids play at all. The organizers at the tournaments we've been to joked that the parents did not need to help the kids find their place at the table, saying that if the child can play a game of chess, then surely that child can also find a numbered spot at the table!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Really? A separate room? Is that standard? I could definitely see you not being able to sit by them--didn't imagine we would.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by MurphysMom
    Good point about the kids (players) and parents being kept separate. The tournament itself is in a separate room from the parents; you can't watch the kids play at all.

A good player (parent or coach) can watch the games of his children and later remember at least the opening moves and comment on the play. If a 5yo plays in a tournament where no spectators are allowed, and if he cannot write down the moves (my kids are older and can't/don't), he won't learn much. It may be a better to have a young child just go to a club where he can play more games (no waiting for the next round of a tournament to start) and where parents and coaches can watch.

Would you take your child to a baseball or soccer match you were not allowed to watch?

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, separate room seems weird! But I do see the problem with parents potentially coaching--how is that avoided?

U
    OP Offline
    U
    BTW, I'm thinking DS needs to wait a while longer...not due to lack of skill, but lack of emotional maturity. I'd like him to get more experience playing lots of different kids at chess club. He has time.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Um, hoo boy. We are now being pretty assertively courted by the chess team coaches.

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/12/14 05:56 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Um, hoo boy. We are now being pretty assertively courted by the chess team coaches, who are suggesting we consider hiring a private coach and strongly advocating for entering him in tournaments.

I don't know if I have explained that the school's chess team is pretty serious. They have a history of winning some big championships, and regularly travel. So this is cool, on the one hand, but also kind of overwhelming. Again--he's 5. And he's an emotional little mite.

JMO, but I think with chess you're right to be cautious - chess is such a competitive world and children sometimes seem to spend *so* much time on it... The skills seem less transferable than maths competition skills (not that they're devoid of things that are no use outside competition) and less capable of bringing pleasure to people around than music - two comparisons that seem relevant when thinking about what my kid should spend time on. It seems like a better thing to do if you're *not* going to be very good at it than if you're in danger of being sucked into the whirlpool... But if your DS wants to and would enjoy it, tricky. I don't know how possible it is to stay moderate.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    He really likes PLAYING. He loves the game. He loves ALL kinds of board and card games--he's just a total game hound. Is he a competitive personality? Not really. Winning is not his big motivator. I'd hate to see it go that direction.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Is he a competitive personality? Not really. Winning is not his big motivator. I'd hate to see it go that direction.
    I don't think being competitive (or not) should be seen as a flaw. The business world often wants people who have demonstrated a degree of competitiveness. Lots of good junior chess players become financial traders (to address ColinsMum's comment about transferable skills).

I want my children to be good sports. The other day, when my son reported to the tournament director that he had "creamed" his opponent, I told him to simply say "I won" in the future. But I also want them to want to win, whether it's at chess, physical sports, or talent search tests smile and to prepare accordingly.

A 5yo boy may cry if he loses. A benefit of a chess or other tournament is to toughen him up, although that could certainly wait for a few years.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, well--difference in life philosophy. wink I'm a believer in excellence for the sake of excellence, improving on your own performance, enjoying the experience, etc. Not a fan of encouraging my kids to value winning just for the sake of winning. I don't think it leads to happiness in life.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM