Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 298 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    L
    This got me curious so I tested dd4. I asked her if I gave her some water in a tall big jar and she ours it into 5 smaller cups, will she have more, less or same water. "Same. If you want more water, let it sit for a few days and it will get real dirty and the dirt will make it more." Okay, then I did the exact same experiment and asked her the same question. She hesitated for a second and then replied more water. When I asked her why, she ignored me and started to play with the water making a big mess. Not sure why she didn't get it when presented visually.
    Ps. I consider her advanced in math. She taught herself to add and subtract ( including negative numbers), multiply, divide, tell time, count money, and even basic fraction operations like 1/4+1/4=1/2.

Last edited by Lovemydd; 09/04/13 06:08 PM.
    A
    A
    Ooh, I genuinely love the real-time data! We should draft an interview guide and present the results of our interviews to MK's teacher as a series of case studies. I'd pay to see her expression, MK! wink

I remember reading a study (Patricia Kuhl or her husband, I believe) a while back that suggested that children's ability/inability to disconnect height from size was really a question of language. As in, the vernacular "big/small" were used imprecisely to apply to a number of different dimensional changes, so children didn't fully conceptualize that height is a different dimension from total volume, quantity of receptacles, and so forth. Perhaps this is more of a language arts exercise than one in math.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    aquinas, I do agree that in many cases it might be a matter of language. ... and I just can't wait for your little one to get to school! lol

M
    M
    My children also struggle with Age when you ask about the biggest/smallest. We asked who was the biggest in the family at dinner last night, my 3yr old said daddy (correct by height and weight, he's 6'7") then changed to her grandma (who is oldest)...

M
    M
    This was in relation to why Daddy starts the meal with more food on his plate than the 3yr old... Greed being the primary lead in to math edcuation in my children's early lives.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    aquinas, I do agree that in many cases it might be a matter of language. ... and I just can't wait for your little one to get to school! lol

(Partial?) homeschool for kindergarten, baby! (That's my unofficial, wildly beyond appropriately premature plan A). wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    ugh! I just read this thread ... http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/166577/3.html and now it all makes sense. It's enVision math that DS5 has in K frown

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    I'm just worried that if I push for something more, the teacher will come back saying DS5 makes mistakes, meaning he hasn't master the topic. I haven't seen any mistakes on his work ... YET ... but knowing him he will start making them because when he does stuff that's too easy, he doesn't pay any attention to it and will just mark "whatever" to be done with it.

We had this problem. My son didn't pay attention when filling out the counting sheets, and then later the "1+1" sheets, and would get the answers wrong because he was rushing through it to be finished. (He apparently made it a game to see how quickly he could finish.) The teacher really thought he hadn't mastered counting or basic addition, although at home he was working on square roots and multiplication. He used to write more difficult problems in the margins - somehow that never made an impression on her, though. Having to complete homework at that level all year really caused problems for my son by the end of the school year. Talk to the teacher asap and see if you can substitute harder worksheets or if she will give him something else. At our school, it couldn't just be ignored - students would be kept in from recess to finish homework that wasn't completed, even in K.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    math used to be so much FUN for him and I'm just sad to see how much he regressed in preschool! He's still good at it but before, everything around him was math. Once he was in preschool, it was all about "I don't know this! I haven't learned it at school yet!" I can't imagine keeping him at the snail speed level for another year. I'm slowly testing the teacher to see how much she'll tolerate from me. Once a week I send in our own finished math worksheet that's about end of K / early 1st grade along with the work she sends home and I'm planning on slowly increasing the difficulty and frequency. Hopefully she'll be ok with it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM