Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
    I find it interesting when people consider 'design' something frivolous.

AGREE!

I asked the same question as the OP when I first came here. (But must have deleted it; I didn't get a satisfactory answer, apparently.)

MY op about this site's design: VERY NICE!

Seriously. There are very gifted web designers (probably reading this now) who would make this a site that feeds our full senses.

A
    A
    Ultralight, I totally agree too! I think design is one of those things (like copy editing) that if it's done properly you don't notice it

D
    D
    because if you do notice it, it's not design at all. it is... décor. smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    Usability of websites is a hard problem, and made harder by the lack of agreement on website standards in the industry. But I'm trying to bring my personal website into the twenty-first century. I need a budget to hire experienced website maintainers, which the free information on the website doesn't necessarily support.

Turning this question around, what is an example of a good website for parents of gifted children, with usable and good-looking design?

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand
    Z
    Z
    I like the Sengifted.org website. Summary topics link from the front page a good hierarchy of short dropdown menu options. Pretty modern design, not too busy, appropriate use of fonts and colors, all make for smart UI decisions.

Yikes, you are making me nervous. I hope that my website doesn't fulfill your criticisms of looking outdated! I created it myself this summer, for my advocacy business.

Last edited by elizabethmom; 09/04/13 08:11 AM.
    I think it comes down to form versus function and the relative priorities assigned to each given any situation. Personally, I think that for a forum like this pretty pictures and snazzy razzmatazz are completely frivolous.

The most important things to me are speed to load on a suboptimal connection, ability to search, read and edit text. I am here to read and learn form what others have written here and to offer what little I have learned myself along the way.

As a dyed in the wool geek I find that function itself when presented elegantly is beautiful in its own right. A tool that you can look at, know what it's for and see that it is the perfect tool for the job is a delight to behold. That's how I find this site - it does the job perfectly - why gild the lily?

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/04/13 04:19 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    The beauty of design is that it has a subjective component to it... so, "bad" is not necessarily totally distasteful for everyone.

I took a graphics design course years ago, and I have to say I don't find design frivolous at all... if done correctly it can have a tremendous persuasive effect on the viewer (resulting in a quantifiable impact to a business's bottom line). Colour, lines, layout, white space, etc etc... all influence the way we see what we're looking at, whether we want to continue looking, as well as what we notice and remember...

Last edited by CCN; 09/04/13 06:19 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs