Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Ok, I feel a little bit bad posting this, since the people who create/maintain/host web sites for gifted kids are doing the public a great service.

On the other hand, why are so many Gifted-themed websites stuck in the mid-1990s when it comes to web design? Why do people accept it when they would not accept poor spelling, grammar, or sloppy formatting on an essay?

Money can't be the sole reason. Plenty of individuals maintain crisp, well-designed web pages just for themselves -- and there are free templates that take the guesswork out of it. Is it something about the gifted psyche? Or what?

-ULH

Well, as a proportion, I'd say that this has much more to do with compensation than anything else.

Why? Because there are a lot more shoestring/support websites with this problem than there are those which are "well-funded."

The other factor is that branding/redesign work isn't actually web-design, per se. It's graphic design and marketing work as much as technical web design.

So yes, outdated color/font/layout is a problem in a lot of websites. Most gifted websites fall under that umbrella as well. Then again, most "fringe" support for ANYTHING does.

Unless... it has $$$$ behind it. Then the pros get involved. Otherwise, it's mostly volunteers, and volunteers have limited time and energy to devote to these things. I also strongly suspect that graphic design/arts and marketing are not areas which draw gifted in large numbers, or when they do, those people are often doing several jobs at once, leaving little time to apply those skills on a volunteer basis. As we all know, there isn't much $$ in gifted education.

I've also noticed (and this is just anecdotal) that the overlap between technical skill (even rudimentary) and that marketing/design savvy on the human/soft side is relatively RARE in any population of people, gifted or not.

The other factor at work here is that the entire notion of webdesign has veered toward social media clearinghouses like FB, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.

The result is that even with established "brands" there isn't a lot invested in periodic redesign or updating to message boards, stand-alone informative sites, and the like.

Managing an active message board is actually more work that it looks like, leaving little left over for prettying things up on a regular basis with a small (or all-volunteer) staff. smile

Of course, momentarily Jon will come and post that it's due to gifted people being Retro (and therefore cool) without even trying. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    The GeoCities look isn't cool anymore? Oh, crud.

My bet is that most of the sites are developed and supported by volunteers and parents who are a lot tech-savvy than they are passionate about sharing knowledge that they think would have helped them with their kids.

C
    C
    Gifted people are able to look beyond fashion, which is a much better parallel for website design than spelling and grammar are?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I still like the idea of HTML as it was intended, so every web-site I do looks outdated, because I refuse to force graphic design elements, and I try to keep the accessibility up.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    I suspect the reason most gifted sites aren't populated with shiny objects is the same reason my house isn't full of doilies and porcelain animal figurines.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I suspect the reason most gifted sites aren't populated with shiny objects is the same reason my house isn't full of doilies and porcelain animal figurines.

Cats?

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Originally Posted by Dude

Cats?

Nailed it.

Shiny websites attract cats, and I'm browsing with a mouse, so...

J
    J
    not to brag, but check out: www.egifted.org -I think it is the best one out there. E-gifted is young (started in Jan) but they have experienced experts.

Because graphics are slower to load, not everybody has high speed, and some people browse on their phones. (?)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM