Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I am feeling frustrated and overwhelmed with school (and life but that's a topic for somewhere else).

The backdrop is that my husband and I are about to separate after a year an a half of work to repair our marriage from unhealthy behaviors he is unwilling to stop. He literally plans to move out this weekend after 10 yrs of marriage. Our son is sensing his dad pulling away and is back to full blown anxiety (he has a diagnosed anxiety disorder anyway). So plenty of stress to go around and I feel like I may be overreacting to what I am hearing at school. I know I am not "on my game" for the advocacy I need to be doing but am disappointed in how things seem to be shifting the wrong direction after all our meetings and work last year.

Last year they tested my child and promised subject acceleration for this year as he outscored their children taught in the target grade. I've just been notified that they will be doing more testing to make sure my child knows "common vocabulary, basic skills, and has no holes and gaps in his learning". I know the placement we were given is not nearly enough as their testing also showed already... and am frustrated because my child's learning disabilities (for which they are delaying the process to address) make repeated testing a hardship for him. They say all the children will be tested but ugh!

I am also being told that they want to "give time to settle in" before starting the process for the 504 paperwork I asked for this summer. We see the Neuropsychologist in a couple weeks and I will have all my info together at that point, but I know without starting the paperwork and getting something scheduled it often takes months to get them to move forward.

So I'm pretty emotionally strained already and not feeling cool headed enough to think clearly about this or interface much with school. I would just love it if some of you would help talk me through this. I have 2 emails sitting that I need to respond to and am vacillating on what to say in response to their rather disappointing words.

Pretend that you are not you. I know, I know-- you don't feel like you right now anyway, and what the heck does that even MEAN??

Well, what it means is-- remember that you're writing a letter to a stranger.

Letter to the Stranger

Write your ROUGH draft. Remind them of all that you know they said and promised, be as angry as you want, REALLY let them have it for dumping this on you right now. THEN--

Throw it away. (Still with me?)

Now, write the rough draft that a professional parent advocate-- or someone here who isn't in your personal bind right now-- would write on your child's behalf. That person's ONLY goal is to get what your child needs and not burn bridges doing it. No emotional investment, no taking personally anything done/said in meetings... no pulling in outside stuff that might matter a lot to YOU right now, but probably isn't 100% relevant (or at least isn't stuff you should share right now with them).

Sit on that draft at least overnight.

Then read Letter to the Stranger-- and read YOUR letter again. Is there anything that a stranger would think was nutty or hostile? Personal? Anything that doesn't serve your ultimate goal of making things BETTER for your child? Get rid of it-- no matter how much you like it or needed to say it, if they don't need to hear it.

{{hugs}}

Hang in there.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Here's a starter on that second letter;

Mr/Mrs/Ms/Dr {school official},

I appreciate how busy these first weeks are as we begin the new year. However, I feel that it is imperative that {child fullname} be given an evaluation under Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act as soon as is practical. Delaying means that his {diagnosed disorder} will worsen, particularly in light of changes in {child firstname}'s life outside of school, impacting his ability to access educational activities to the same extent as his unaffected peers.

I know that we all want to make this a good year for {child}, so time is of the essence. I look forward to hearing from you about scheduling an eligibility meeting. {You could provide dates/times when you'll be available and offer to provide "material" for eligibility, if you like.}

Sincerely,

{Super-frazzled Mom}

A
    A
    HappilyMom, so sorry for everything you're going through.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    L
    Happilymom, you were there for me when I really needed support. I am sad to read about the turn of events in your personal life. I have no advice to offer on the school issue as I have no experience with that. But I liked HK's suggestion and her draft letter. I will send you a PM. Love and hugs to you and your ds.

P
    P
    Sending you a big hug - what a tough time to be dealing with school on top of everything else, for both you and your ds.

HK has given you wonderful advice re how to start - I'll add to not be stymied over having to "write a letter" - email counts as a letter (written correspondence) when you are advocating for your child at school.

One thing I'll add to HK's sample letter that our advocate always recommend - give the person you are sending it to a requested time period to respond - be sure to give them a reasonable amount of time - our advocate usually suggested 10 business days as a good rule of thumb. So, for instance, if I wrote a letter requesting that the school staff schedule a 504 meeting, I would ask that they respond to my *written request* within 10 days (not schedule the meeting within 10 days, but let me know if they agree a meeting can be scheduled and if so, when). (eta - one note, also a suggestion from our advocate - if you know your school district's policy re deadlines it is also a good idea to wordsmith that into your letter - so for instance, if you are requesting a 504 meeting and you know your school has to respond by setting up a meeting within 60 days of a parent request, then request that they set up a meeting within 60 days).

I would also break down in your own mind what your ds needs into two "parts" - accommodations for his disabilities, and acceleration for his advanced academics. I would treat them separately for two reasons - first, you need to move on the accommodations issue *first* and asap - if your ds is not receiving appropriate accommodations, he will (most likely - I don't know him, so I'm just guessing this here) - not be able to show his full knowledge and you might potentially get caught up in a situation where the school denies a needed acceleration based on test results that are more influenced by disability than true knowledge.

Last year they tested my child and promised subject acceleration for this year as he outscored their children taught in the target grade. I've just been notified that they will be doing more testing to make sure my child knows "common vocabulary, basic skills, and has no holes and gaps in his learning".

I wouldn't worry about the *content* of the tests they want to run - knowing where there are gaps (if there are any) is a good thing. I would be ok with them giving your ds these tests *if* he has appropriate accommodations *and* if it's not going to ramp up his anxiety too much. I would - if I thought it would be ok with your ds - try not to argue against taking the tests based on anxiety simply because I would worry that the school would bring up anxiety as a reason to not accelerate too. BUT - I'm a bit jaded based on our own experience, so I should say that's most likely what would happen in my ds' former school. Actually it did happen, more than once - so - take my advice on the anxiety with a grain of salt smile

Anyway, if you are ok with your ds taking the tests, let him take the tests. If the school comes back and says he has significant holes, *then*, at that time, put together a game plan to argue those holes shouldn't hold him back - find a way to fill them in, etc. You'll be able to do it then, but if you spend time and worry over it now, that's potentially just wasted time and energy if it turns into a non-issue based on his scores. Also *try* to think positively about it - it's natural for us parents (particularly us 2e parents who've had struggles advocating for our kids - to assume that the intentions are to prevent something we are advocating for, when it's possible the school just wants to know where any gaps are so *they* can fill them in. I might suggest simply asking what the school will do with the info once your ds takes the test - suppose they find a gap in one area, how do they plan to address it? Ask the question assuming that your ds *will* receive the promised acceleration.

I know the placement we were given is not nearly enough as their testing also showed already... and am frustrated because my child's learning disabilities (for which they are delaying the process to address) make repeated testing a hardship for him. They say all the children will be tested but ugh!

Advocating for a 2e child is tough, and seeing what they sometimes have to go through with both the challenges their disabilities present plus with the roadblocks that might be put in front of them at school is very frustrating. It helps me sometimes to just acknowledge that it is what it is. My ds is not as far ahead in his areas of academic strength as he would have been if he'd never had a disability to deal with. That's his life. But he *is* happy, and he is very comfortable in his own skin, now, as a middle schooler. He had a really tough time for quite a few years in elementary school, both with the struggles of dealing with his challenges and also from being bored with most of the class discussions. I had a really tough time caught up in advocating for him - sometimes it felt like a full-time job. It wasn't what I wanted for him, and it wasn't what I wanted for me. BUT - he came out of it all better than ok, and he *did* accelerate in academics once we got past the whole milestone of understanding what his disabilities really were and how they impacted his academics.

[quote[I am also being told that they want to "give time to settle in" before starting the process for the 504 paperwork I asked for this summer. [/quote]

I think I heard this "give us time to settle in" or "give us 6 weeks to observe" every single danged year any of my kids were in public elementary school... no matter what it was I needed to address smile Drove me nuts! I do think the start of the school year is understandably crazy and busy for most teachers, and I can see as a teacher that it would be helpful to have spent time getting to know a student and their work before I was asked to participate as a meaningful contributor in a meeting addressing that student's needs. *HOWEVER* there is a big difference between waiting and observing when the upcoming meeting is an IEP eligibility meeting where you are putting together an individualized education plan and a 504 meeting, where the purpose is to put together an *accommodation* plan to assure the student has fair access to the curriculum and will be able to show their knowledge in the classroom. If your ds needed glasses to see the board, no one is going to tell him to "wait a few weeks and see if he really needs them". Granted a 504 requires a bit of paperwork, but really, 504 meetings in general and the paperwork involved are *not* complicated. I would send off a written request for a meeting *tonight*, send it to your ds' teacher, the school's 504 coordinator, any other staff members that you feel it should go to, and cc the school principal. You can attach your professional reports if you want to, but you don't have to. If you can sum up briefly the nature of the disabilities in the written request that would be good - not the accommodations you're requesting, just the *why* you are making the request.

We see the Neuropsychologist in a couple weeks and I will have all my info together at that point, but I know without starting the paperwork and getting something scheduled it often takes months to get them to move forward.

I'm glad you have the neuropsych eval coming up so soon! Be sure not to delay making your written requests to the school because of it - as you've noted, dealing with school, setting up meetings etc - it can all drag out in time. Even if you are able to schedule meetings at school prior to the neuropsych, you can call an update team meeting after the eval - nothing that happens with the school is a "closed door" - you make decisions, as a team, with the info you have at the time of any given meeting. If you have new information later on, you call an update meeting and change the plan as needed.

So I'm pretty emotionally strained already and not feeling cool headed enough to think clearly about this or interface much with school. I would just love it if some of you would help talk me through this. I have 2 emails sitting that I need to respond to and am vacillating on what to say in response to their rather disappointing words.

Would it help you to share the actual words sent to you in the emails and have some of us give you specific suggestions re words to respond with? If you don't want to post them in the public forum, you could pm us. I am sure that whatever you decide to say, it will be the right thing - and again, there are really no absolutely "right" or "wrong" ways to respond.

Hang in there -

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 08/26/13 07:04 PM.
    I
    I
    Polarbear, you're a gem - truly . Wonderful and thorough advice! Happilymom, so sorry you are going through this stuff - hugs to you frown

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you all so much! Both the words of consolation and the advice were exactly what I needed. I'm taking some time to be quiet this morning and try to focus my mind. (Did I mention I sprained my ankle yesterday too? It was a really really bad day)

I will take you up on your generous offer Polar and PM you the emails. I know you've been there and beyond and dealt with similar issues on the 2e side. I'm grateful for your experienced advice.

Today we are having more crisis. He is breaking down when time to go to school and I'm afraid we may miss class today. After he stopped crying hysterically and clinging to me, he started complaining about the chaos of specific transitions, problems with PE, and that there isn't anything for him to learn. He says school is "stressful right now". He also says "only someone with their brain not working could stand 6hrs of not learning anything".

Yesterday I thought it was more home related and today it is looking like it's really more school related. I'm working on an email incorporating this information about how not accommodating his disabilities is impacting him. Feeling a bit more rational today.

Oh, I'm so sorry that your little one is struggling so already this year.

I wouldn't assume that the home situation isn't what is fueling things-- it's likely that it's a slow burn and that it is filling up his capacity for managing his anxiety... which is then leading to a reduced capacity in other areas.

I'm glad that today is looking better.

I'm also glad to help you craft/wordsmith letters via PM, if you like. I'm pretty experienced at the art of oral and written methods of advocacy, given that those have been the only methods available to us over the past eight years.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    PMing you HK.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 08/27/13 08:43 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM