Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #165547 08/26/13 01:37 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:00 PM.
    Z
    Z
    Is there a computer available in class? Lots of individualized options that way at least. Also, there would be a good chance that there aren't sufficient level books in the classroom. Make sure the library is lenient with him on non-grade level selections. Send some books in to school with him.

If he can get even a few minutes of individualized attention a day while other students are doing other work, that made a big difference with DS in K. But basically occupying a seat with zero instruction always seems a sad state to me.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DS was very gifted (!) and that she is very willing to work with us to accommodate his needs. However, she is teaching a class that is mostly low-SES kids who mostly need to just catch up and get on board with basic K skills. She talked about providing harder homework but indicated that she wants our input and is open to our ideas.

I'd look outside the box. What resources are there in the school that can be leveraged? Our younger DS's best kindergarten experience was a pull-out book group run by the school librarian while the other kids were doing phonics. Could the gifted teacher give him even half an hour a week?

so giving him some self-directed writing assignments (short book response stuff) is one idea.

Is he willing to write on his own?

Fill in the bubble reading comp is another. I would like to exempt him from rote letter and phonics work because it makes him insane, but am not sure if asking for that is too much.

We always asked for our younger DS's pullouts to happen then.
    The major concern here is that he started off his previous school year at an academic pre-K (state funded curriculum) enjoying the novelty, but my midyear he hated it. Could not stand the repetition and cried most days before school.

That's data. I'd make it a cooperative project based on that. "How can we all accommodate so DS isn't frustrated, while he still gets the writing practice and [whatever else] he needs in K?"

DeeDee

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    One thing we did for DS5 last year and will continue this year is a journal. His teacher loves this.

It is something he can work on once his regular work is done. He doesn't write much but will sketch and lable. He shares a lot of his entries at the closing circle.

Collage is another idea that works well with journaling at this age. Often kids who aren't way ahead in motor skills will tire of writing, but can also use practice in scissor skills, etc.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Is there a quiet place available where he could dictate compositions or assignments into a computer or small digital recorder? He could always write the first [X] sentences/words and complete the rest of his more complex study orally.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    OP Offline
    U

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:01 PM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    So DS's teacher seems to be pretty awesome. Turns out she has already spoken with a gifted expert in the district about how she could accommodate my DS.

I just want everyone to pause and appreciate that. She did that BEFORE I emailed her. In the first week of school.

They do ability-group for both reading and math. However, it is my suspicion that he will be well beyond the highest reading group. But they use a system where they get boxes/stations with work to choose from for a good portion of the day, so she says I can send things in for him. She will also provide other work she can get from other grades.

I am touched by her clear desire to help my son. We'll see how it goes, of course, but I think she is really trying.

D
    D
    I just want everyone to pause and appreciate that. She did that BEFORE I emailed her. In the first week of school.

Pausing. Appreciating.

Many teachers really do try for our kids.

DeeDee

Z
    Z
    So DS's teacher seems to be pretty awesome. Turns out she has already spoken with a gifted expert in the district about how she could accommodate my DS.

Those are the sort of hope building moments when good intentions meet "getting it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM