Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ultramarina Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 08:37 PM

Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 08:49 PM
Is there a computer available in class? Lots of individualized options that way at least. Also, there would be a good chance that there aren't sufficient level books in the classroom. Make sure the library is lenient with him on non-grade level selections. Send some books in to school with him.

If he can get even a few minutes of individualized attention a day while other students are doing other work, that made a big difference with DS in K. But basically occupying a seat with zero instruction always seems a sad state to me.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
DS was very gifted (!) and that she is very willing to work with us to accommodate his needs. However, she is teaching a class that is mostly low-SES kids who mostly need to just catch up and get on board with basic K skills. She talked about providing harder homework but indicated that she wants our input and is open to our ideas.

I'd look outside the box. What resources are there in the school that can be leveraged? Our younger DS's best kindergarten experience was a pull-out book group run by the school librarian while the other kids were doing phonics. Could the gifted teacher give him even half an hour a week?

so giving him some self-directed writing assignments (short book response stuff) is one idea.

Is he willing to write on his own?

Fill in the bubble reading comp is another. I would like to exempt him from rote letter and phonics work because it makes him insane, but am not sure if asking for that is too much.

We always asked for our younger DS's pullouts to happen then.
The major concern here is that he started off his previous school year at an academic pre-K (state funded curriculum) enjoying the novelty, but my midyear he hated it. Could not stand the repetition and cried most days before school.

That's data. I'd make it a cooperative project based on that. "How can we all accommodate so DS isn't frustrated, while he still gets the writing practice and [whatever else] he needs in K?"

DeeDee
Posted By: KJP Re: Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 08:59 PM
One thing we did for DS5 last year and will continue this year is a journal. His teacher loves this.

It is something he can work on once his regular work is done. He doesn't write much but will sketch and lable. He shares a lot of his entries at the closing circle.

Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 09:15 PM
Collage is another idea that works well with journaling at this age. Often kids who aren't way ahead in motor skills will tire of writing, but can also use practice in scissor skills, etc.

Posted By: aquinas Re: Good news/bad news - 08/26/13 10:11 PM
Is there a quiet place available where he could dictate compositions or assignments into a computer or small digital recorder? He could always write the first [X] sentences/words and complete the rest of his more complex study orally.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 08/27/13 12:07 AM

Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 08/27/13 04:30 PM
So DS's teacher seems to be pretty awesome. Turns out she has already spoken with a gifted expert in the district about how she could accommodate my DS.

I just want everyone to pause and appreciate that. She did that BEFORE I emailed her. In the first week of school.

They do ability-group for both reading and math. However, it is my suspicion that he will be well beyond the highest reading group. But they use a system where they get boxes/stations with work to choose from for a good portion of the day, so she says I can send things in for him. She will also provide other work she can get from other grades.

I am touched by her clear desire to help my son. We'll see how it goes, of course, but I think she is really trying.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Good news/bad news - 08/27/13 04:40 PM
I just want everyone to pause and appreciate that. She did that BEFORE I emailed her. In the first week of school.

Pausing. Appreciating.

Many teachers really do try for our kids.

DeeDee
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Good news/bad news - 08/27/13 05:24 PM
So DS's teacher seems to be pretty awesome. Turns out she has already spoken with a gifted expert in the district about how she could accommodate my DS.

Those are the sort of hope building moments when good intentions meet "getting it."
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 08/27/13 05:31 PM
Again, we'll see. But I was placing faith in the hope that school culture (the fact there is a GT magnet in the school for older children) would work in our favor, and I believe we are seeing that here.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 09/04/13 12:16 PM
Bless her heart, she is really trying. She's seeded the library box with high-level picture books (this is fine--DS still likes picture books) and is sending home different homework for him. I think she is giving him as much first-grade work as she can. Will it be enough? I don't know, but I am so pleased to have a teacher who is proactive and responsive. DS seems to be relatively happy with school right now.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Good news/bad news - 09/04/13 12:27 PM
Oh, lovely. Surely as she gets to know him it will all continue in this direction....

DeeDee
Posted By: geofizz Re: Good news/bad news - 09/04/13 01:03 PM
Ultra, I've encountered enough fabulous teachers for it to reinstill my faith in public education. May this teacher be one of those.

If your kid is like mine,my caution would be against doing anything that looks like your child is being asked to do more because of his level. My kids tend to view that as punishment for being smart. This goes 10000 fold for anything that's writing.

My approach for out-of-the-box accommodation requests are for the material/instruction be something that a child wouldn't get in school otherwise. I've gotten some creative accommodations by asking that the teacher give my kid "that stuff that you wish you could teach kids but don't have the time. Here, we've got time? What would you love to do?". DD got some great comparitive history projects and poetry assignments last year (5th grade) and DS has done some pretty cool mathy projects. In each case, the teacher modified the instructions of an existing assignment such that it wasn't much more work for the teacher and it didn't look like extra work to my kids.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 09/04/13 02:07 PM
Fortunately, he is just super psyched to learn--not a kid who wants to sit back. He's kind of a teacher's dream, other than some perfectionist, emotional tendencies and occasional overfocus on fairness and rules (sound familiar, anyone??) The one thing he is not quite so eager about is writing, yes--but on the other hand, he is writing a long story at home of his own volition, which I am pleased about! He has a great role model in his sister, who tends to sit around and write little plays, letters, and songs for fun.

Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 10/01/13 12:31 PM
Things have been relatively quiet and DS5 is seeming relatively well differentiated. But yesterday I got some pushback on school that looked depressingly familiar. I sent him to school with the chapter book he'd been reading (he wanted to stay home and read) and emailed his teacher about his requests for harder writing work. (Yes, my kindergartener asked for harder writing work. I KNOW.)

She immediately wrote back and said "Of course he can read that book during class--let's get him set up with a writing journal--I can pick him up some things at the teacher supply store for him--and I'm talking to the other teachers this morning about some more writing ideas for him."

We may need to clone her.
Posted By: momoftwins Re: Good news/bad news - 10/01/13 01:04 PM
That's great! She seems to really get it.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Good news/bad news - 10/01/13 08:16 PM
Things have been relatively quiet and DS5 is seeming relatively well differentiated. But yesterday I got some pushback on school that looked depressingly familiar. I sent him to school with the chapter book he'd been reading (he wanted to stay home and read) and emailed his teacher about his requests for harder writing work. (Yes, my kindergartener asked for harder writing work. I KNOW.)

She immediately wrote back and said "Of course he can read that book during class--let's get him set up with a writing journal--I can pick him up some things at the teacher supply store for him--and I'm talking to the other teachers this morning about some more writing ideas for him."

We may need to clone her.

I think this is where you tell her exactly that. Or, better yet, have your son write a quick note to her stating how much this means to him as one of his assignments. So nice to read this thread, ultramarina! smile
Posted By: Loy58 Re: Good news/bad news - 10/01/13 08:28 PM
So happy for you and your DS!!!

Yes, please clone her and send our way. My DS needs some of what you are describing. wink
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Good news/bad news - 10/01/13 10:03 PM
I have definitely told her many times how great I think she is. I may have mentioned earlier that she was apparently mentored closely by an older teacher with a strong interest in gifted education. What luck for us!

DS was so happy when he came home that he got his own special journal to write in.
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: Good news/bad news - 10/02/13 01:50 PM
I love to read happy stories! Enjoy your year with a teacher who really gets it and tries. smile And may she influence a successful placement for next year as well.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum