Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    U
    U
    When you think of "gifted" as "prodigy" or even just "remembering all the states at 2", "learning times tables at 3", or on being "really fast" - these are all skills that are dependent on gifted to VERY gifted working memory and/or processing speed, as well as interest in the sorts of things that draw that sort of attention.

Yeah, this is a conclusion I've come to. Though DD wasn't tested with a test that measures WM or processing speed, it's clear that hers are very high. This may make her "look" more gifted than she maybe is, although after a certain point I'm not sure what the point is of trying to figure this all out.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    And think carefully about what it means when your child is motivated to please others.
    Some kids are complete and total chameleons socially-- they give everyone they know a slightly different version of themselves, and try to aim for the one that is most useful in the relationship.
    My DD gives people what makes them feel comfortable and allows them to be relaxed and open. What that means in functional terms is that pretty much NOBODY sees all the way down. No way is being with a PG person in full intellectual flight a "comfortable" experience. Exhilarating, maybe-- but not relaxing or comfortable. So that isn't who she is for others.
    Thank you for putting this into words. I have repeatedly seen my gifted child trying to "blend" in with kids around him to gain acceptance in his social circle and just be considered "one of those guys" so that he can "fit in". It ranges from reluctance to answer a question in the classroom when the teacher introduces a topic that is not new to him to "dumbing down" his sentences and grammar and vocabulary to sound just like someone else who is the "popular" guy in his circle of friends.
    Yes, they are chameleons and know what to show others ...

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM