Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 265 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #164681 08/17/13 10:47 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Just curious what other parents do to take care of themselves? We do so much for our children, and as we gear up for a new school year and challenges that may come with it, what do you do to recharge and take care of yourself?
    As summer comes to an end, I'm realizing that I need to do a better job of recharging my batteries, so I can try to keep up with DD!

P
    P
    2 hours a week where I have finished work but the kids are still in care or at school.

S
    S
    I volunteer at this very special place that has nothing to do with my children. Reading is another recharger for me.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    A
    A
    I take an evening class at the local university one day per week.

I'm not logging the time exercising that I'd like, as that's my preferred release, so I'm arranging for my sister-in-law to care for my son for an hour in the afternoon a few days per week.

Less interestingly, I try to ensure that DS and I do one activity outside in a natural setting every day. It's good exercise for us, gets us our vitamin D, and is relaxing.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    There is a rock climbing gym 2 minutes from my work. So, I climb during lunch. Also, I drive back up there on Tuesday and Thursday evenings to climb and do yoga. It's been FANTASTIC for me. I've met new friends that don't have anything to do with kids or work.. And in a couple of weeks we are going to Horseshoe in Arkansas to climb outdoors! I am super excited.

~amy
    I read.

I sew.

I knit.

I listen to music almost constantly (this is my soul's version of oxygen)

I help others by coaching parents to become better advocates.

For quite a number of years, I worked part time as a researcher. I'll probably return to that when DD enters college next year. My job as a parent won't be done given her relative youth, but she'll be independent enough for me to work at least half time. I'm really looking forward to that.

Things that I need to do that I don't do enough of:

exercise (Tai Chi is my preferred mode, but I also like dog agility and just walking)
    meditation
    playing a musical instrument

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Sadly lacking. I recently realized that my "leisure" time is listening to books on CD during my 1:45h daily commute to and from work.

S
    S
    Does continually reading/highlighting books on giftedness, organizing the unorganized child, researching advocacy count? Lol. No, I really enjoy the educational theory works from Roeper, etc. and would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of Terman's work. Call that the geek in me, love, love, love trying to piece this all together and the psychology behind it.

I also love dogs, have a Great Dane as my go to buddy..named Caspian. And, I workout 5x a week to keep my sanity and keep my boys from driving me insane with the constant chaos of school crises, competitive soccer, and dh's heavy workload as a CTO.

Shannon L.

J
    J
    This coming school year , we're going to homeschool DS . Normally during previous years , when he's at school i would run or going to the gym working out 5x a week . Now that he'll be homeschool , i will do my long run somehow , meaning i will have to wake up earlier , before DH goes to work , or if it's short run , then DS can bike while i run with him .

Other than that i love cooking , baking , esp. bread baking smile it's relaxing

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs