Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Gardengirl09 Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 05:47 AM
Just curious what other parents do to take care of themselves? We do so much for our children, and as we gear up for a new school year and challenges that may come with it, what do you do to recharge and take care of yourself?
As summer comes to an end, I'm realizing that I need to do a better job of recharging my batteries, so I can try to keep up with DD!

Posted By: puffin Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 07:59 AM
2 hours a week where I have finished work but the kids are still in care or at school.
Posted By: Sweetie Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 11:16 AM
I volunteer at this very special place that has nothing to do with my children. Reading is another recharger for me.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 12:24 PM
I take an evening class at the local university one day per week.

I'm not logging the time exercising that I'd like, as that's my preferred release, so I'm arranging for my sister-in-law to care for my son for an hour in the afternoon a few days per week.

Less interestingly, I try to ensure that DS and I do one activity outside in a natural setting every day. It's good exercise for us, gets us our vitamin D, and is relaxing.
Posted By: epoh Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 03:17 PM
There is a rock climbing gym 2 minutes from my work. So, I climb during lunch. Also, I drive back up there on Tuesday and Thursday evenings to climb and do yoga. It's been FANTASTIC for me. I've met new friends that don't have anything to do with kids or work.. And in a couple of weeks we are going to Horseshoe in Arkansas to climb outdoors! I am super excited.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 03:59 PM
I read.

I sew.

I knit.

I listen to music almost constantly (this is my soul's version of oxygen)

I help others by coaching parents to become better advocates.

For quite a number of years, I worked part time as a researcher. I'll probably return to that when DD enters college next year. My job as a parent won't be done given her relative youth, but she'll be independent enough for me to work at least half time. I'm really looking forward to that.

Things that I need to do that I don't do enough of:

exercise (Tai Chi is my preferred mode, but I also like dog agility and just walking)
meditation
playing a musical instrument
Posted By: coveln Re: Taking care of you? - 08/18/13 11:16 PM
Sadly lacking. I recently realized that my "leisure" time is listening to books on CD during my 1:45h daily commute to and from work.
Posted By: sblora Re: Taking care of you? - 08/19/13 12:04 AM
Does continually reading/highlighting books on giftedness, organizing the unorganized child, researching advocacy count? Lol. No, I really enjoy the educational theory works from Roeper, etc. and would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of Terman's work. Call that the geek in me, love, love, love trying to piece this all together and the psychology behind it.

I also love dogs, have a Great Dane as my go to buddy..named Caspian. And, I workout 5x a week to keep my sanity and keep my boys from driving me insane with the constant chaos of school crises, competitive soccer, and dh's heavy workload as a CTO.

Shannon L.
Posted By: jaylivg Re: Taking care of you? - 08/19/13 08:29 PM
This coming school year , we're going to homeschool DS . Normally during previous years , when he's at school i would run or going to the gym working out 5x a week . Now that he'll be homeschool , i will do my long run somehow , meaning i will have to wake up earlier , before DH goes to work , or if it's short run , then DS can bike while i run with him .

Other than that i love cooking , baking , esp. bread baking smile it's relaxing
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum