Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I pegged our kiddo at mildly to mabye possibly the lower end of highly gifted, because in my head profoundly gifted meant prodigy. Very surprised and kind of freaked out by how much we underestimated.

Yes. Same here.

That prodigy word is a killer. It calls to mind those kids being paraded on tv for doing something so astonishing. And at 3 I was saying, well it's not like he's going to be one of those college students at 10. Well fast forward a few years and I am starting to wonder if I will need to do that for science. But even saying that I still don't think prodigy. The media has made the word feel creepy to me.

DeHe

But even before the modern media, (IMO) people like Herr Leopold Mozart had given it a bad name, quite honestly.

Cringe-worthy, though. That's how I think of that term.

We all thought that it was adorable when my then-preschooler was telling anyone who would listen to her that she was going to go to college at 12.

It was cute until it started to look (at 6 or so) like she meant to do just that. eek Then it was scary. I don't want to be Doogie Houser's mom.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Put me with the vastly underestimators. I knew ds6 was bright but I thought he was round 120 to 135 kind of range. 158 no that must be wrong. Ds4 though - he is probably about the same but there are some things that make me think it will be higher. Probably though they just have different strengths and ds4 has an older brother to teach him stuff (but much less input from me).

U
    U
    I overestimated my DD, but they used the RIAS, and she tanked one of 4 sections and also refused to guess. She scored MG, in the 130s, but I think she is a bit higher. Not DYS.

It may more be that she is very well-rounded and achievement-oriented, with a very good memory.

I think her brother is HG, but again not DYS. I'd really like to get him tested on the WISC, but the RIAS seems to be what the schools use here.

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/16/13 01:09 PM.
    A
    A
    I overestimated. I thought DS (6 year old) would be 155+ because there are 2 other family members who scored in that range. His score came in the 140s. He was tested at 4 years. Not DYS material as per that score.
    I was also told that he was very chatty during the test and took a long time to get to the point (lower processing speed because of that), did not know how to read some words that were shown to him (he started reading at 4.5 years old), he had an undiagnosed color blindness at that time and he easily says "I don't know" when his attention flags. I am hoping to test him in the next year again to see if the new scores are higher or lower than last time!

N
    N
    I had dd when I was comparatively young and so, without friends' kids to compare against I only had parenting books and their milestones. She so obviously didn't fit them. Worried at first I started looking for reasons why and came across giftedness. I only allowed my self to acknowledge that she'd likely be 135ish, but she turned out to have a FSIQ comfortably above 99.9%, with a higher still VCI.

Last edited by Nerdnproud; 08/16/13 01:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
    G
    G
    We had no idea. Like all parents, we thought our daughter was smart.
    it wasn't until she started reading (4 yrs. old) and comprehending what she was reading that I started to wonder. There isn't anything she can't read and comprehend. Her favorite book is the dictionary. What was more amazing to me is DD's memory. She's got the memory of an elephant!

From the time she wakes she's asking questions and reading books...there are books everywhere in our house! But, her asynchronous issues with emotions, sensitivity and perfectionism some days shine through quite strongly.

I nearly fell of the sofa when the Child Psychologist told us her score, specifically her verbal score of 148. While her FSIQ is 133, DD had difficulty understanding the importance of not talking during the timed portions, the psychologist thought her scores would be higher still under better circumstances. I was guessing in the 120's, but really had no idea. All of this is so very new to us, that we are just trying to understand who she is and what sort of educational environment might be best for her.
    We mainly had the testing done (at the suggestion of her preschool teacher) so that the school see where she was at and maybe take us seriously!

What an interesting thread!

I overestimated or tested too early, one or the other. I thought my kid would be dys so I got testing. It came back "above average to highly intelligent" (mg/hg?) with only one high spike on a reading achievement subtest. DAS-11 & WIAT. His low math achievement shocked me. Are more than 10% of almost six year olds really able to do word problems, knows about fractions, +-/x? Last year I broke a donut in half and gave him half and ate half of my daughters side before I gave it to her. He said, "I get 1/2, you get 1/4, she gets 1/4." I thought most little kids would call that thirds, since we all got one piece. He learned about fractions from that book "Apple Fractions", and I learned how to bake an apple pie to make it more fun.

Oh well, the one thing I've completely taught him yet was phonics and that spiked at 99.8% achievement. So either his IQ hasn't bloomed yet, or I'm just that good of a teacher. smile
    fwiw, he has a couple generations of family members who tested on the eg/pg border. I am aware of regression to the mean and the pitfall of unrealistic expectations. I'm not sure if this is that, or immaturity/late bloomer. I also believe in Carol Dwecks incremental theory of intelligence, maybe he just needs time to mature. I highly value his education, either way.

This is my first post here about this and it happened a few months ago.
    Since I've been the one teaching him it didn't really change how I'm going to keep teaching him, but the results just mean he doesn't qualify for any kind of DYS or MENSA consultant.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    coveln Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Gardengirl you remind me of when I gave my dd6 a dictionary a couple years ago. She was ecstatic. She insisted on decorating a special box to keep it in to protect it and wanted to sleep with it and take it with her in a backpack to the park. smile It was hilarious. Thankfully she eased up a bit as it us a big dictionary. I had forgotten about that.

C
    C
    I didn't guess a number for my daughter per se, but I knew my IQ was somewhere in the mid 140s and I knew that she was smarter than me, certain things she did would just astound me. When she was 4, we signed her up for testing for a preschool gifted program. They spend 10 minutes and asked questions about animals which she couldn't answer (They should have asked her about tools). The didn't have her read or anything and told us her IQ was 115. I knew that was wrong. Her school takes the OLSAT and that came in the high 130s in 1st Grade and I knew that was wrong. 3rd and 4th grade it came in at the high 140s. Knowing the compression on that test, and needing more ammunition to advocate for her,even with my husband(her unbelievable EXPLORE scores weren't enough, which actually was the point where I was actually blown away and a then a little scared), I finally had WISC-IV done. Her GAI was 155 which made much more sense to me given what i had seen and here we are getting started with DYS.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM