Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    ... but-- if you are truly LOW income, there are programs which are intended for children like yours.

QuestBridge

My daughter knows (well) not one, but TWO QuestBridge scholars who are/will soon be attending Ivies. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    ... The problem is, I have absolutely no clue as to what the difference is between Harvard, Yale, and the community college down the street, ...
    ...I was surprised to see that most expensive/prestigious colleges were the ones most likely to cover the tuition for those of us on the lower end of the income field. << This makes mama relax. cool ...
    One of the similarities between Harvard and the community college down the street is that if you're on the lower end of the income field, then they cost about the same.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by intparent
    Not wanting to add to your concerns... but relaxing about having your tuition covered because your kid is high performing and you are low income would not be a good idea. Here is a link to a very long discussion out here a few weeks ago that included some discussion of this.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/162887/1.html

That was an interesting/scary post. smile However, I was merely reflecting on the idea that IF she wanted to and IF was able to get into the top $$$ that she wouldn't be required to turn them down because of my financial limitations.

One of the reasons that her middle school encourages students to start feeling out their college desires is so that they can begin to taylor their social/academic/volunteer life to align with their goal. Those with higher goals will have more tailoring. We have one of the top rigorous IB high-schools (2nd according Newsweek's last list) in our county. Her school encourages the serious high achievers with the higher college goals to align themselves to feed into it. I'm not pressuring her to take that path. If she's happy with a relaxed middle/high school experience before heading into the local university, than so am I. However, I want to make sure that she has all the information she needs to make an informed decision as to how she want to draw out her pre-highschool plan. We'll save the getting in stress for later.....

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ... but-- if you are truly LOW income, there are programs which are intended for children like yours.

QuestBridge

My daughter knows (well) not one, but TWO QuestBridge scholars who are/will soon be attending Ivies. smile
    Thanks for the link. We make around 45k a year for a family of 4. Which may or may not qualify. In anycase I'll keep the link around for future reference or sharing.

Val Offline
    I have absolutely no clue as to what the difference is between Harvard, Yale, and the community college down the street, so I don't feel that I am in any position to offer assistance or guidance.

When I said I didn't know the difference between Harvard and community, I was exaggerating a bit. I do understand the basics and am well informed as to our local central Florida options. We live within an hour of USF and UCF which will certainly be on her list to investigate. However, when it comes to the top schools, I am at a total loss as to what (other than money) makes them so special.

Okay, well...my advice would be that when you ask people to spend some time helping you, be sure you ask the precise question you want answered. Personally, I would feel bad if I had led others to waste their time finding information I didn't need but said I did. In this case, it isn't a big deal, but TBH, I don't quite trust you now when you say that you're "at a total loss" about what makes the top schools so special, given your first message's claims about cluelessness. smile

Also, you may want to try formulating your question and just typing it into a search box.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Val
    Okay, well...my advice would be that when you ask people to spend some time helping you, be sure you ask the precise question you want answered. Personally, I would feel bad if I had led others to waste their time finding information I didn't need but said I did. In this case, it isn't a big deal, but TBH, I don't quite trust you now when you say that you're "at a total loss" about what makes the top schools so special, given your first message's claims about cluelessness. smile

Also, you may want to try formulating your question and just typing it into a search box.

Does anyone have a good non-biased website or reference book which outlines many of the US schools in qualitative not quantitatve terms?
    ^^ I thought I was being specific with my request for information. Sorry if I was unclear. frown By "difference between" I meant from the angle of how instructional format and freshman opportunities etc. would vary. and compared to most on this site, I am clueless. wink

I
    I
    I give the OP credit for starting her D thinking about this in middle school at all (okay, so the school is prodding her, but that is okay!). It is an "interesting/scary" topic, as you said in your comment about the other thread. Good luck!

I do, too, intparent. I don't think that most schools are doing enough early enough with career/college counseling/guidance.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I do, too, intparent. I don't think that most schools are doing enough early enough with career/college counseling/guidance.
    Currently, counseling anyone away from prestigious careers, and towards ones that are more consistent with their academic achievement, is politically difficult, especially before high school. If career counseling is not done in a realistic manner, it may be better not to do it at all.

Here's a book with a lot of really interesting ideas surrounding college. Much of it is very well-suited to HG+ kids.

The New Global Student

It does, however, ignore the reality that in some fields/disciplines, such a creative approach isn't entirely feasible. (mostly STEM fields aside from medicine/healt-related)

It also doesn't have a great set of instructions for how to do this as a PARENT who needs to work as an expat in a non-virtual environment.

It is intriguing, however.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM