Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #16328 05/20/08 05:39 PM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    For the past 2 years we have taken DS to the annual meeting of a local conservation organization. They have panels on wildlife, water quality, endangered species, and public policy with real experts often with differing opinions discussing the current issues. In the afternoon they have field trips for small groups led by the experts. The program is definitely for grown ups but is kid friendly. DS (age 11 last year and 12 this year) sat through almost every presentation and even asked questions during the QandA periods.

Wildlife biology is a passion of his and finding this group has been wonderful for him. At the meeting this year, he was even offered the chance to come and help one of the local field workers for couple days this summer.

This has been such a huge success for us, I wanted to encourage other parents to keep an eye out for opportunities such as this that are the "real thing" not just more school. DS is often squirmy when in school, but because he could tell this was important and fun for him, he paid full attention and even took a few pages of notes (something he never does in school).

Have other parents done this same kind of thing? Are there other groups that you recommend we keep our eyes out for?

acs #16330 05/20/08 06:24 PM
    We did that with our kids and now with GS8. He goes to the cattleman & breed association meetings with us. The local cattleman's association is set up to have guest speakers on a regular basis for educational purposes. The junior associations he belongs to are set up with a bit more educational activities than the adults, but they groom the kids to become fully participating members of the adult associations at 18-21.

GS8 has gone to lots of farm related seminars with us. He attends field days with us and goes to the Farm Science Review. He's gone to clinics put on by the Department of Natural Resources, similar to what your son just did.

Anything we're interested in, we take him. We have him take along a book in case it's too far over his head but he takes in more & more each time.

But, this is fairly common among the agriculture community.

ACS, have you checked out your state Department of Natural Resources?

acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My parents were farmers and I did grow up going to farming conferences, sometimes sitting through sessions and other times playing hide and seek with my brothers. Good memories.

But DH and I are both city folks in professions where you really do not bring your kids to conferences. It even says specifically that young children are NOT welcome. Older kids can come, I guess, but they would have to have to register at $300 or so. So we don't take him along with us!

I should just add that there is no way that I would have gone to this conservation conference if it weren't for DS. He saw the agenda and got so excited and kept asking to go. I don't have a problem with the group (they're great folks), but I just have a lot of other interests and time commitments. At the meeting I introduced myself as DS's driver. I was the one tagging along, not the other way around.

acs #16334 05/20/08 07:30 PM
    You know, I'm always looking for opportunities like that too, those real life experience are where I see the girls really excited to learn.
    That was the main reason we applied to DYS for DD8, because the info suggests the children could have access to mentors.
    We've had a lot of success at The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They have a lot of young people who are pursuing or have achieved degrees in science, math and physics doing what they call on floor demonstrations. These are just live science experiements that are done in different spots in the museum. The girls love it and usually stay after asking tons of questions. They particularly like the young women and DD8 followed one around for a while after the demo bugging her. But the nice young lady really was nice and told her about a science program the museum had for kids which we didn't know about.
    I try to accomodate the girls when they are on fire about learning something as well, ACS. Whether or not someone else thinks it's not appropriate.

((shrug))

acs #16339 05/21/08 04:31 AM
    ACS, your DS is a bit older than our GS8, but I can see in just a few years where I'll be taking GS to an adult activity of his choosing. I like how you introduced yourself as his driver smile

Acs - what a wonderful opportunity for your son! I'll keep my eyes open for such things for my son.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations