Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #162453 07/18/13 08:45 AM
    A
    adte Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I keep reading it is so important for gifted kiddos to spend some of their time with other children of similar ability and age...how did you find other gifted children (especially with a younger child who is homeschooled?)

adte #162510 07/19/13 12:09 AM
    C
    C
    My daughter has met gifted friends or further connected with gifted kids in a number of places, church, ballet, through the piano teacher and space camp. I expect that anywhere you would expect to find intelligent children, you will end up running into certain ones on more than one occasion. If there is a local homeschool group, if you listen the other parents, you will discover who is homeschooling because their child is advanced.

adte #162515 07/19/13 02:01 AM
    A
    A
    I'm with you OP, peers are impossible to find! Especially if you break it down further than just being 'gifted', or the Xth percentile, and you're after specific age or gender or interests or temperaments. Not to mention we're in a small country so we're fishing in a pretty small pond ... very small clever delightful science-maths-history-buff girls are very hard to come by!

adte #162518 07/19/13 02:32 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My son has only two gifted friends, one from school, who has since moved interstate for a year; and one whose mum I met through a gifted group on Facebook. AvoCado is right about the different levels of giftedness and interests: the fellow mathy one isn't as gifted, and the friend that is to his level is verbally gifted.

adte #162527 07/19/13 06:42 AM
    Mana, that really sounds like a good plan.

Honestly, depending on a child's LOG and the size of the area in which you live-- that is, the size of the pond, as AvoCado helpfully put it--your child's friendships are likely to take one of three paths:

a) "good enough" and domain-specific/shared-interest friends-- they may be similar age or not, but have some shared interest/ability/developmental level in common and both parties can live with the other differences. This type of friend is NEVER going to be a soulmate, though, and your child is eventually likely to 'grow' past the other party, which is painful. Most other gifted students are in this category for kids with high LOG.

b) one-way friendships-- your child IS the friend to his/her friends, but in spite of all that they get out of the friendship, your child feels that the friendships are missing something critical, or are hollow somehow. Generally the other party is unaware that the friendship feels anything but genuine. This is, (I hypothesize) due to different developmental levels socially. Davidson and SENG both discuss this in their materials about friendships, and I've seen it time and time again in my DD14. Most non-gifted-- and some MG-- kids are in this category.

c) Friends who eventually become so insecure that they turn into something harmful to your child-- jealous/envious frenemies who passive-aggressively undermine and pick at your child. This is a VERY real phenomena, and a child who places value on his/her loyalty won't necessary enforce boundaries and shed the friend when they should-- parents may need to step in and gently discuss healthy relationships and boundaries. Tiger-parented or status-conscious peers whose identity is "I'm smarter than others" tend to be this type.

d) True peers. This begs the question, though-- "in what sense of the word?" Intellectually? Cognitively? Socially? Most kids who are EG/PG only find such peers in programs or activities specifically intended for kids at this LOG. This is where summer camps and other away-from-home things come into play. Luckily, those kids can maintain contact throughout the year with modern social media and e-mail/Skype, etc.

My DD14 has never had a "best friend." Not one that is in the true peer category, I mean. She has only met a couple of other PG youngsters, and only one of them is a chronological peer (well, almost). The two of them share pretty much no interests, and are socially/philosophically at opposite poles. Not much chemistry between them, sadly. (And I mean that for both of them, actually.)

The closest friendships my DD has had have been with HG children a few years older than she is-- or with 2e kids 2-6 years older. She has learned to be choosy about another person's level of inclusiveness and prosocial behaviors.

We are hopeful that college will bring more opportunities for authentic friendships that have the depth that she has been seeking.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    HowlerKarma #162529 07/19/13 07:02 AM
    K
    K
    HK,

You nailed the friendship types.

adte #162531 07/19/13 07:11 AM
    C
    C
    Ditto.

adte #162532 07/19/13 07:12 AM
    D
    D
    extra-curriculars are the only place DD5 has found real friends so far - and it's because of the ability-grouping, rather than age-grouping. her dance friends are years older than her, and it works really well: they dance, they play, they read, they joke around - it's awesome.

this year in Pre-K she experienced a boatload of HK's aptly categorized (b) friends and it was so hollow and sad. her teachers saw her as the most popular kid in the class - and DD saw herself as the kid with no friends.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    adte #162535 07/19/13 07:28 AM
    Yes, over the years, the vast majority of my DD's friends have been of the B type. It makes her very lonely and sad. This is an area where we've had to do a LOT of discussion with her about the fact that not 'feeling it' doesn't mean she's a sociopath or anything-- it just means that her needs as a person aren't met by the relationship, and that the other peer in most cases just isn't capable (yet) of going there to begin with.

She seems to understand that last bit instinctively-- she seldom demands more than another individual can give (in fact, she is terrific with kids who have limitations, because of that characteristic) but I can see quite easily that most kids would need specific assistance with that.

Many other posters over the years have had their kids get angry/frustrated with peers who can't reciprocate what a high LOG child is looking for and offering.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    HowlerKarma #162537 07/19/13 08:02 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ...a LOT of discussion with her about the fact that not 'feeling it' doesn't mean she's a sociopath or anything

hee - we had this exact conversation last week! "mummy, am i a sociopath?" uh, given the fact you feel desperate empathy for the predicament of a) bugs squished by cars b) people in prison and c) Voldemort - probably not.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM