Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Val #162369 07/17/13 02:44 AM
    P
    P
    Sounds fun. I guess they just magically become gifted after kindergarten?

Honestly from here any gifted programming that doesn't cost a fortune and take place somewhere else seems quite good. A two hour pull-out enrichment would be better than nothing.

The problem with great high school courses is if things at school are bad you don't make it that far in good enough condition to qualify.

Why is his current school not an option - cost? Does it not cover all the elementary years? It does sound like a good school.

KJP #162381 07/17/13 07:46 AM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I worry about elementary at the current school because of the 2e issues. It is likely that DS will need some accommodations as he progresses. It is my understanding that the staff in the upper elementary class tends to be rigid and unaccomodating.

This is something that happens now in the K class and would be even more likely in upper elementary given the increased workload:

Suppose DS spends the morning working on a map coloring project. He has to stop a lot because his hand hurts and to sharpen the map pencils because he keeps breaking the tips. By the time he is done, his hand is really hurting. Next up on the assignment sheet is writing his spelling words three times each. At this point many kids have finished their assignments and are getting out free time activities like Legos and games. DS can't join in until his words are written. Correctly. This means if he did the "g" reversed on every word, he will need to correct it. If his correction involves putting it facing the right way but on the wrong line, he will have to correct it. After all this, there is no time for him to have free time. What he doesn't finish gets sent home as homework.

I understand that this could happen at any school. Hopefully things at this school will improve in this area after his evaluations. As it stands, "time" is the only accommodation available to any student. They see it as fair because he gets as much time as he needs.

It doesn't help that his self advocacy is very "5 year old style". He doesn't exactly say, "Excuse me, my suspected genetic disorder and learning disability are making it difficult to complete this assignment in a timely manner right now. Could I please finish it orally for now and maybe complete the written portion later when I have rested my hand?"

Instead he whines that he doesn't like writing, goes to the bathroom half a dozen times to put his hand in cold water and might stop to "watch/comment" on what the free timers are doing.

KJP #164826 08/20/13 05:36 AM
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by KJP
    I am just venting.
    So we are still looking at houses...

DH called Option B's gifted coordinator. It didn't go well. Gems from this conversation included "There is no such thing as a gifted kindergartener" and "We never look at outside testing because parents can buy the scores they want"

Frustrating! We are in a similar situation. I am still amazed at how the viewpoints of GT educators can vary so widely, especially when they claim to focus on their needs on their website.
    Good luck! I second what St. Pauli Girl said...can you try to open enroll?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM