Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD toe-walked until VERY late (she was still doing this occasionally at 4-6yo), and also went through an echolalia-like phase.

It's possible that this behavior (which DD also did for a time) is more about "did I hear you correctly?" and not something else. This only made sense to me when DD was older and we realized just how impaired her hearing was when she was <2.5 yo and had basically continuous ear infections and congestion. No wonder she was using what in an adult would be considered "mirroring," and seeking confirmation that we were understanding one another!!

This makes me wonder if it's not what he's doing. We know his hearing is fine, because since his language has been delayed his hearing is tested every 6 months. He certainly seems to be aware of doing it and he does stop for short periods of time if asked (it tends to drive me batty after he does it 6-7 times in a row.) So, he could either be double checking what I'm saying or just enjoying his use of words now that he has them.

Originally Posted by Dbat
    DD did the same thing about talking a little later than typical kids, but interestingly since then her enunciation has always been excellent--we had very little 'baby talk.' She also did the echolalia thing especially when she was 2-3, and would repeat the whole thing that was said to her, without changing the pronoun. She stopped that but now she does the palilalia (?) thing--repeating her words under her breath. I think she's just fine but you should be aware the echolalia is sometimes associated with the autism spectrum, and our DD has been diagnosed as having Asperger's/ high functioning autism. But IMO I wouldn't worry about your DS at this point if that's the only unusual thing you've noticed; as you say, he might just be processing how to communicate.

I do appreciate the heads up about that! I do not think he's on the spectrum because he's been watched for it during his speech therapy because he was so delayed without a clear reasoning. He also didn't walk until 16 months, so we were concerned at that point. Since then, this seems to be the only oddity in his behavior. The rest can be explained by being ahead of his peers mentally.

I think we'll just keep an eye on it at this point. Unfortunately, since he just turned 3, his next appointment isn't for another year. So, we'd have to make a special one for this. We'll just see. I'm glad to know that this doesn't seem to be a permanent thing and that others have experienced it to know what I'm talking about. I feel less crazy!

Thanks everyone!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    now she does the palilalia (?) thing--repeating her words under her breath.
    Gosh, this has a name. My DS does this (did? I don't notice it now and it's hard to say how much is my brain editing it out - DH says he now often repeats just the last phoneme, but I can't confirm).

Actually the number of things associated with autism that my DS has is beyond a joke - sometimes feels as though the one thing he doesn't have is a problem!

Last edited by ColinsMum; 03/03/13 01:01 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    P
    Pss Offline
    P
    DS5.5 repeat sentences (whispering) and I also chalk it up to working on language processing, but will keep an eye on it going forward.

S
    S
    Very interesting reading. I'm not sure I have much intelligent to add, but my 2 yr old has had a long mess of ear, hearing, and language concerns beginning before she was a year old (3 ear surgs, 6 hearing tests so far, 1 EI eval, sigh) and she's ok "enough" that she hasn't qualified for any services or help but it really freaks me out a little overall. We have a great and caring med team, a friend who is in EI, and so it's not a lack of access, but...

I keep wondering when I can get someone to say, ok, NOW we can help her out, she meets XYZ criteria.

She is very talkative now and quite bright, but a whole lot of what she says is garbled, and she has done the repeating thing for a LONG time. Half the time now it's "Huh?", the other half it is two words of what we just said, seemingly confirming or asking us to explain something. This feels like a huge improvement (versus only repeating). I've also read that repeating can persist up until around age 3, and since she has slowly been making verbal forward progress, I'm trying to be patient...

Last edited by sunday_driver; 06/27/13 09:11 PM.
    J
    J
    As always, make sure your child for whom you have any concerns for hearing or language issues get an audiology hearing exam. Not just the pediatrician's quick screen. My son has a 70 dB loss in his ear (85 dB is totally deaf, so it's a huge hearing loss) that was missed at the yearly pediatrician's visit. I finally asked for an audiology exam in the soundproof room, and that is when it was discovered.
    He's successfully worn a hearing aid for the last 4 years and has done fantastic. Just FYI.

S
    S
    Jack's Mom - Most definitely, for anyone reading this - she has had ALL of her hearing exams at Mass Eye and Ear by many excellent AuD's. There are consistent inconsistencies, so it's been frustrating to say the least. We know she is hearing conversational levels well, and speech development should not be impaired.

However, for lack of a diagnosis of anything her speech has always been challenged. I think I may have spoken with you in the past, actually...

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Jolaine83
    Shoot, I was hoping you'd say I was worrying for nothing. frown CCN, I'm hoping that since your DS took a similar path that it will prove to be nothing. I might give it a few more weeks or so to see if it improves or disappears.

i'll just chime in with my dad's favourite story about me as a child. apparently i said NOTHING for 2 years - and then one day in the car, we passed a construction site, and i said, "look, mum, look at the crane!" dad apparently nearly drove off the road, pulled over and then everyone had a good cry.

they told me i also repeated everything they said for a time, as well - but they eventually worked out that i was actually mirroring THEIR pattern. every time i said something, they would repeat it to me... so i started reflecting that behaviour back to them - until i realized that wasn't the way everyone communicated - just my weirdo parents!

so... it totally could be something as silly as this! but everyone's advice above, is as usual, totally great. all the best to you!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM