Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    Yay, good news for all of your dc. Blessedmom, I'm sure you'll be hearing soon!

Last edited by KADmom; 05/31/13 02:20 PM.
    K
    K
    Oh I hope you get good news, themamalisa.

T
    T
    No good news here. I did finally get an email that said my application was blank! Ugg, why couldn't they tell me that 6 weeks ago? Now there is no way to get a new application submitted today so we wouldn't be considered until July. I was needing help deciding if we should grade accelerate since the school gave us the green light to do so. Plus, they need a different form for IQ and that was given by the school and there is nobody there over the summer. I'm thinking I will just forget it at least for now.

A
    A
    Oh no MamaLisa! I got an email after I sent in dd scores that they had the letter of rec and the scores, but the application did not go through and asked me to email it to them. This was the night after I sent the stuff.

I am sorry it is not working out where it would help you. What are your concerns with grade skipping since the school gave you the green light? Maybe we can help you here make a decision??? HUGS

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    T
    T
    I just can't seem to talk myself into it. He is old for his class which is not ideal with an IQ of 153 but he missed the deadline by 11 days. I have not met anyone who has accelerated and were glad they did so I worry about it. I just don't know what to do. He doesn't act out at all, he is actually an angel at school but he is very bored and doesn't ever work on anything even close to his level. After the first semester of first grade he tested on a late 4th grade reading level and 3rd grade math level. If I skipped him to 3rd then I don't think that would challenge him any more than he would be in second and I could never talk myself into advancing him two grades. Sigh, this sucks.

A
    A
    Oh MamaLisa, I understand. Our tester told us even if DD was grade skipped 3 or 3 years it wouldn't have been enough to challenge her this year. Although I know that she would not have been okay staying at grade level. Mainly dd's personality is not the kind to be an angel when bored. She tends to act up and she is not a people pleaser at all. She could careless a majority of the time (something we are really working on and is hard for me to parent because I was the complete opposite growing up).

If it helps, I know several kids who were grade skipped. I went to an academic magnet school and kids had to test to get in, then I was in the gt program there which you had to test even high into and for some kids that was not enough and they were grade skipped one to two grades. All did well and I lost track of them in college, but in school they were happy and well adjusted. I did know one girl in college who was grade skipped and started college at 16 living in the freshman dorms and she had a hard time, not academically but she ended up hooking up with some wrong guys and I think just overall had a hard time because she was immature to be living alone and all that freedom to a 16 year old. The guys she was hooking up with were in the 20's for what it's worth.

On another note, I almost skipped my senior year of high school to enter college early. My dad didn't let me, but I did get accepted in to that program after interviewing. For what it's worth I am glad I didn't but only because I would have been living at home and in the same town for college and my home life with my father was horrible and triggering for an eating disorder. My senior year of highschool was a complete joke. I coasted, earned straight A's and was bored out of my mind...I was at a magnet school in a gifted program too, luckily my photography teacher gave me keys to the lab, I would leave class constantly and go in there and work. I know the security guard, and well I take that back about not learning anything, he took me out of class to show me how to change a student's tire. He said it was a life skill I needed to learn LOL. But because I didn't skip it, I left for college, moved 12 hours away on a full paid scholarship and learned to be healthy away from the trigger influence of my father. I think if I had had a normal healthy homelife, skipping and starting college early would have been a godsend. Just some thoughts to maybe help you think. Feel free to pm me anytime. HUGS

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    M
    M
    TheMamaLisa,

I don't normally read this thread, but I wanted to chime in. We did a grade skip last year from kindergarten to second grade for our son who tests at DYS levels, though we haven't applied. He was reading well at about a 5th grade level and doing math between 3rd and 4th grade level as a kindergartener. Second grade was a challenge in terms of independence, writing and organization. Math, reading, spelling, content areas were not a challenge, but he has actually enjoyed school this year and goes willingly. We anticipate needing additional acceleration in the future, but the one grade skip has helped for now. We are currently thinking that we will enroll him in a private school in fifth grade that goes through high school to allow him access to high school math classes more easily and seamlessly. We decided we want to "save" an additional skip for later on, and not hurry through elementary school since middle school is where things are really lockstep in terms of curriculum.

M
    M
    Mom of 1, thanks for sharing your experience! Your description of where your DS was in k describes our DS perfectly. As we've just decided to skip first, it's reassuring to read that it has gone well this year!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM