Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: blessedmom04 May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 06:13 PM
I was hoping to hear today but it looks like it will be a quite day as it is the day before the long weekend and no emails. I guess that means we hear 28-31.
Posted By: gabalyn Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 06:46 PM
I get the feeling DYS sends stuff out often in the afternoon their time. I am on the East Coast and got my e-mail after 5 pm my time.
Posted By: blessedmom04 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 06:52 PM
Thank you. I guess I am figuring that since it is a long weekend folks are going to leave early and if they were sending anything they would have sent it by now.

Well there is only to wait and see!

I do know I am being silly and caught up in some idea that the resources could really help us. I do believe that. But there isn't magic to this week or next month or even next year. Sigh.
Posted By: TheMamaLisa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 07:13 PM
I have not heard anything.
Posted By: Jtooit Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 07:23 PM
When we got ours it was late afternoon on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. You still might see it today.
Posted By: KADmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/24/13 10:42 PM
We received an email two days ago informing us our application was complete and would be considered for June.

Good luck everyone!
Posted By: mama2three Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/27/13 10:00 PM
When someone asked about responses this month on Hoagies, there was a response that Davidson was in transition and this would be the first month of applicants since the changes and they were interested to see how this might impact the application process. Anyone know what this means?
Posted By: teachermom7 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/28/13 06:22 PM
Not sure, they have just implemented an online application (not the PDF) maybe that is the "transition."
Posted By: mama2three Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/28/13 07:54 PM
Bet that is it! Thanks, teachermom! Who knows, perhaps that may impact the turnaround next month... or simply simplify the way apps are handled on their end.
Posted By: svmp Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/28/13 09:50 PM
3 more days to go for the month end ! I've never waited so anxiously for a month to end smile
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/30/13 10:39 PM
Okay I am going nuts. It is almost the end of the day here, and tomorrow is the last day of the month. I always though people heard before the end of the month. I am getting so anxious. We could really use the help and advocacy...dd scored well over the cutoff on IQ and Achievement. Sigh
Posted By: blessedmom04 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/30/13 10:47 PM
I am just guessing no one has heard yet or someone would have posted here. So I guess it must be tomorrow.....or Monday, there's always the possibility that it slips a day.
Posted By: svmp Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 12:13 AM
Finally ... we received our response today 6:15 PM EST. DD13 was accepted !!! Good luck everyone.

Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 12:23 AM
Gaah we still haven't heard.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 12:30 AM
DD8 is in. Having had her application get lost last month (April), I couldn't bear to watch this too closely over the past month but now the waiting is over. Phew!
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 12:31 AM
No word here...should I call them?
Posted By: madeinuk Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 12:48 AM
I think you should at this point.

Good luck - sending good thoughts your way...
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 01:00 AM
Just tried and no one answered. Gaah, this has totally given me a migraine. I won't be able to sleep tonight, that is sure.
Posted By: blessedmom04 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 02:09 AM
Seems like only one person heard so far, at least visiting these boards. (Congrats btw!). Do folks really think it is time to contact them? I did get an email much earlier in the process confirming that our application was complete. Hate to call them prematurely.....
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 02:17 AM
I didn't get a hold of them and didn't leave a message. I feel better know you haven't heard either, although I hate it for you. But knowing I'm not alone helps. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

You can tell I'm distracted though, I was trying to get a ham bone out of my soup and splashed scalding hot broth all over my face and chest. Immediately put cold water on it and called my doc who lives a few houses away. She came up and checked me out- 1st degree burns but gave me the awesome cream EMS crew use and said I will be fine in a few days with no scars. Gaah. I am a mess.
Posted By: TheMamaLisa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 03:02 AM
Bummer, I didn't hear anything. I sent our application 6 weeks ago. I did get an email when I sent it that looked like an auto response but nothing since then. :-(
Posted By: mama2three Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 03:27 AM
MamaLisa-- We received the auto-response, which was later followed by a personal email from a family consultant telling us that our app was complete and would be reviewed this month. So, if I were you I might follow up tomorrow, just to make sure that your app was being reviewed this month or if something might have been misplaced.

Amazed and Blessed, like you, nothing yet. I'm thinking (hoping) that we will hear tomorrow. Amazed -- rest easy! I just found the forum in April after testing, but your DD has to get in, right? Blessed, looks like you and I are in the same boat --having sent in portfolios, we may be asked to send more info. Hopefully we will all hear tomorrow!

Posted By: mama2three Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 03:31 AM
And, yes, congrats to svmp and madeinuk!!
Posted By: Ephelidasa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 01:30 PM
No response here either, if that helps.

I've read people commenting about how they had to provide more "evidence". I wonder if that is done earlier in the month, or if they just make a decision on each child and email out all the accept/reject letters.
I'm just trying to see if there's reason to be optimistic.
Seems to me that if the child has the test numbers and Davidson hasn't requested more evidence/work examples, then there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
But maybe I'm wrong. Find out soon I suppose.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by mama2three
And, yes, congrats to svmp and madeinuk!!

Thank you - best of luck to the rest of you.

I do think that as long as the scores are good there should be nothing to worry about except the waiting...
Posted By: svmp Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 04:01 PM
We had initially sent in our application Apr 1. We got an automated response, and a follow up after few days that they need additional portfolio items. We then submitted 2 more items somewhere around Apr last week. At that point, we got a confirmation email the application is complete and it will be processed in May pool.

We heard from them last night that DD was accepted.

We submitted DD13's SAT score (which were way higher than minimum cut-off) and portfolio items of her writing samples.

Looking back -- application process was fairly simple. We just submitted what we had. The only pain point was WAITING for THAT email!!

Good luck everyone. Hope you will hear from them by this evening.
Posted By: blessedmom04 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 04:03 PM
It is nearly 8 am in Nevada so I am thinking that if I don't hear by 4pm Eastern I will call. But the fact that a # of us have heard and others have not suggests that they just have a process that is not yet complete.
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 08:36 PM
DD's in! We had gone to the library and store and my stomach was in knots driving home waiting to check my email. I am so relieved.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 08:59 PM
Congratulations to svmp, madeinuk, and amazedmom! Blessedmom04, I'm sure yours will be along shortly, too.
Posted By: TheMamaLisa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 09:18 PM
I still have not heard but since I never received a true confirmation email I'm sure I'm not going to get an email. I sent an email this morning but never even heard back from that. :-(
Posted By: KADmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 09:18 PM
Yay, good news for all of your dc. Blessedmom, I'm sure you'll be hearing soon!
Posted By: KADmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 09:20 PM
Oh I hope you get good news, themamalisa.
Posted By: TheMamaLisa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 09:46 PM
No good news here. I did finally get an email that said my application was blank! Ugg, why couldn't they tell me that 6 weeks ago? Now there is no way to get a new application submitted today so we wouldn't be considered until July. I was needing help deciding if we should grade accelerate since the school gave us the green light to do so. Plus, they need a different form for IQ and that was given by the school and there is nobody there over the summer. I'm thinking I will just forget it at least for now.
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 09:48 PM
Oh no MamaLisa! I got an email after I sent in dd scores that they had the letter of rec and the scores, but the application did not go through and asked me to email it to them. This was the night after I sent the stuff.

I am sorry it is not working out where it would help you. What are your concerns with grade skipping since the school gave you the green light? Maybe we can help you here make a decision??? HUGS
Posted By: TheMamaLisa Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 10:09 PM
I just can't seem to talk myself into it. He is old for his class which is not ideal with an IQ of 153 but he missed the deadline by 11 days. I have not met anyone who has accelerated and were glad they did so I worry about it. I just don't know what to do. He doesn't act out at all, he is actually an angel at school but he is very bored and doesn't ever work on anything even close to his level. After the first semester of first grade he tested on a late 4th grade reading level and 3rd grade math level. If I skipped him to 3rd then I don't think that would challenge him any more than he would be in second and I could never talk myself into advancing him two grades. Sigh, this sucks.
Posted By: amazedmom Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 05/31/13 10:47 PM
Oh MamaLisa, I understand. Our tester told us even if DD was grade skipped 3 or 3 years it wouldn't have been enough to challenge her this year. Although I know that she would not have been okay staying at grade level. Mainly dd's personality is not the kind to be an angel when bored. She tends to act up and she is not a people pleaser at all. She could careless a majority of the time (something we are really working on and is hard for me to parent because I was the complete opposite growing up).

If it helps, I know several kids who were grade skipped. I went to an academic magnet school and kids had to test to get in, then I was in the gt program there which you had to test even high into and for some kids that was not enough and they were grade skipped one to two grades. All did well and I lost track of them in college, but in school they were happy and well adjusted. I did know one girl in college who was grade skipped and started college at 16 living in the freshman dorms and she had a hard time, not academically but she ended up hooking up with some wrong guys and I think just overall had a hard time because she was immature to be living alone and all that freedom to a 16 year old. The guys she was hooking up with were in the 20's for what it's worth.

On another note, I almost skipped my senior year of high school to enter college early. My dad didn't let me, but I did get accepted in to that program after interviewing. For what it's worth I am glad I didn't but only because I would have been living at home and in the same town for college and my home life with my father was horrible and triggering for an eating disorder. My senior year of highschool was a complete joke. I coasted, earned straight A's and was bored out of my mind...I was at a magnet school in a gifted program too, luckily my photography teacher gave me keys to the lab, I would leave class constantly and go in there and work. I know the security guard, and well I take that back about not learning anything, he took me out of class to show me how to change a student's tire. He said it was a life skill I needed to learn LOL. But because I didn't skip it, I left for college, moved 12 hours away on a full paid scholarship and learned to be healthy away from the trigger influence of my father. I think if I had had a normal healthy homelife, skipping and starting college early would have been a godsend. Just some thoughts to maybe help you think. Feel free to pm me anytime. HUGS
Posted By: mom of 1 Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 06/01/13 02:29 AM
TheMamaLisa,

I don't normally read this thread, but I wanted to chime in. We did a grade skip last year from kindergarten to second grade for our son who tests at DYS levels, though we haven't applied. He was reading well at about a 5th grade level and doing math between 3rd and 4th grade level as a kindergartener. Second grade was a challenge in terms of independence, writing and organization. Math, reading, spelling, content areas were not a challenge, but he has actually enjoyed school this year and goes willingly. We anticipate needing additional acceleration in the future, but the one grade skip has helped for now. We are currently thinking that we will enroll him in a private school in fifth grade that goes through high school to allow him access to high school math classes more easily and seamlessly. We decided we want to "save" an additional skip for later on, and not hurry through elementary school since middle school is where things are really lockstep in terms of curriculum.
Posted By: mama2three Re: May DYS emails? Anyone hear? - 06/03/13 02:40 AM
Mom of 1, thanks for sharing your experience! Your description of where your DS was in k describes our DS perfectly. As we've just decided to skip first, it's reassuring to read that it has gone well this year!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum