Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    DD constantly surprises us and others with her deep thoughts, or wisdom about situations and life in general. I thought we could start a thread with some of these that our kids say that leaves us speechless or with chills.

These are all from dd who turned 6 recently and were spoken in the last few months.

Yesterday while looking standing with her arms outstreatched in the solitude of an empty beach, her arms outstretched and the surf breaking against her boots she says...
    "The world is far from perfection, but this is all I've ever dreamed of on earth"

Last week when she blew out a candle.
    "You know what the candle reminds me of? The flame is like Jesus and when we blow it out, it is like when he died on the cross. The smoke is his glory and it still goes on after it is blown out."

And a few weeks ago out of no where. (A little back story, my father who passed away when she was 6 months old was not a very nice person to my mom or myself, a lot stems from his own childhood. Although I have never said this to dd, just that he was not very nice sometimes)
    "You know I don't think you dad meant to be a mean person. Sometimes people just can't help themselves because they are hurting so much. I think inside he was good, and that's very sad."

Truly, sometimes her insight and deep thoughts blow me away. Amazing what big thoughts can come out of such a small little person.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    I'm not sure if this counts or not, but the other day a coach told my DD that she is very mature for someone going into eighth grade. What he doesn't know is that, yes, my DD is going into eighth grade, but she is also just 11!

She does have a lot of interesting and intriguing thoughts and tends to see the world from a very unique perspective. But she often gets the comments about maturity, and usually from people who think she is 7th grade age.

She thought she could, so she did.
    P
    P
    Be sure to write down all those wonderful thoughts as she shares them - they start going underground once your child is a little older smile

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 05/30/13 03:31 PM.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My DS6 told me recently that he was thinking about life, and how there are billions of people in the world right now and he has no idea what they are doing. He only knows for sure what he is doing, and those who are with him. (He stated this far more eloquently than me lol)

It was so nice to hear him thinking about something different; usually when I am asked, "Do you know what I am thinking about right now?" the answer is something to do with maths or science.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Be sure to write down all those wonderful thoughts as she shares them - they start going underground once your child is a little older smile

polarbear

I completely agree and second this!! I was just thinking wow, I know there have been MANY times that Emily has shared a deep thought but my alzheimer brain can't recall them anymore. I should have written them down.

I wish that I could remember all of those things that my DD said when she was little!!

At 2:

She 'needed' to learn Spanish to comfort a younger child at daycare... because he "doesn't know English" and the "teachers don't know how to help him not feel so sad."

At 4: She was convinced that people ignoring the "no food or drink" signage prominently posted at the local public library was a matter of those poor learning disabled people who could not read the signs. (I just smile every time I remember her worried, earnest expression when this occurred to her as I explained that some people have difficulty with tasks that other people find simple.)

At 4, also: Failing to verbally defend herself against a peer who was trashing her in front of a group of their agemates (basically taunting her about skills she lacked, etc-- most of which weren't even TRUE things)...

Me: "Why didn't you tell {child} off? You KNOW that what {child} was saying isn't true! Why did you let her do that to you??"

Her: "Oh, momma. {Child} just needed to make herself feel better. If I said something to her, I would just make her feel worse again. I know that what she said wasn't true. Her saying it didn't make it true. {shrug} So why would I make her feel bad for no reason?"

That one was probably THE moment that I realized that my child is eerily PG, even if most of the time, she doesn't actively seem freaky that way. It's there, just under the surface. She was born knowing what makes people tick. Thank goodness she's so kind and compassionate.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations