Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    #158313 05/27/13 07:27 AM
    D
    D
    i'm not sure if this will help, but i've used a river analogy very successfully with DD5.

me: let's think of this another way. you're going on a walk through the woods and you come to a river. how will you cross it?
    DD5: i would jump.
    me: ok, now let's say you walk a little further and you come to a river that is too wide to jump. how will you cross it?
    DD5: i would swim.
    me: ok - think about swimming for a minute. is that a single action? can you do it all in one step?
    DD5: no. you need a lot of little strokes.
    me: right - so [X thing] is like a wide river. you need to do all the steps and every one of them matters. they're all connected and they eventually add up to get you to the other side.

at this point, all i have to say is "River!" and she'll giggle and the mood will reset, which is pretty good for a kid who thought that taking a month to master 4 years of reading levels was evidence she was "bad at reading." smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    #158358 05/27/13 11:02 PM
    S
    S
    My DS7 has had trouble with wanting to quit games where he gets far behind. Just today, he wanted to quit a game of Yahtzee with me because I was 50 points ahead. I asked him to please finish the game so that he could practice his sportsmanship no matter what happens. He looked dubious, but he finished the game anyway.

I was so proud of him!

#158359 05/27/13 11:28 PM
    G
    G
    Haha. Sounds like he has had a little breakthrough, skateycat. DS4 and I were playing chess the other day and when it started going bad for him he said he wanted to play without Kings. Madness!

#158360 05/28/13 12:46 AM
    K
    K
    Six is a tender age to begin with. I would probably take a common sense approach with him.

First I would simply explain that chess is a game and like every other game, there is a winner and a loser. Not everyone wins 100% of the time and not everyone loses 100% of the time.

When he is playing and he starts losing and wants to quit, I would ask him how it would make him feel if no one else ever wanted to play chess against him if they knew they couldn't win.

If he can't make the natural connection to the example and his own attitude, I would make the connection for him by explaining that how he would feel is how other people feel when he won't finish the game to completion because he fears he might not win (or he foresees he might not win).

I would tell him that chess is like any other academic topic he is interested in and that he will learn a lot by playing against people who have higher skill sets and can beat him.

Sure winning is fun, but losing can be viewed as an opportunity to get better, rather then a negative experience.

I think sportsmanship has to be taught to every child, it isn't usually a natural personality trait. The perfectionism in gifted kids just make situations such as this a little bit more sensitive then normal because you want to teach them to be good sports without turning off their love for an activity.

I think in time he will probably understand and accept what you are trying to convey.

#158361 05/28/13 02:03 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I made a little breakthrough by using manipulation lol. I explained to him that since he had already entered the comp, if he quits then he has definitely finished last. Whereas, if he plays he might finish 1st, 10th, or 50th- only quitting guarantees last place. Well, he didn't like that idea and wants to continue smile

#158363 05/28/13 02:07 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Just to add, I've been thinking about it, my son is only like this about chess. I can't really think of another situation in which he has acted like this (mind you, he doesn't really have many interactive activities).

#158364 05/28/13 03:20 AM
    P
    P
    If you think he is going to be rude or throw a tantrum at the tournament it might be better if he does withdraw.

Eta. I don't see my youngest ever being able to cope with losing.

Last edited by puffin; 05/28/13 03:22 AM.
    #158367 05/28/13 04:29 AM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by squishys
    I made a little breakthrough by using manipulation lol. I explained to him that since he had already entered the comp, if he quits then he has definitely finished last. Whereas, if he plays he might finish 1st, 10th, or 50th- only quitting guarantees last place. Well, he didn't like that idea and wants to continue smile

Awesome! You found his logical loop hole!

#158371 05/28/13 07:28 AM
    U
    U
    Ches sis just tough for this, I think. My DS5 is generally a good sport (he's a game addict), but he often cries when he loses at chess. He's not a snotty bad sport, but a weepy one. (Both are unpleasant, IMO.) He will be able to compete next year in K through school, and I'm wondering if he's really mature enough yet. To some extent, though, I think this may come with practice. I wonder if you have any coaches or chess...leagues (sorry, don't yet know the terminology) in the area where experienced adults could offer some advice? I wonder if playing some other kids at something less charged than a competition might be a better starting point? You don't want him to get turned off. I say this having seen a friend's (highly competitive) child compete recently in something different, lose, and declare that he never wants to enter something like that again.

deacongirl #158385 05/28/13 08:49 AM
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I understand and recognize this behavior, I think HK was right on. CCN, if my dd6 knew that was possible she would do it! (I thought it was against the rules...)

It probably is, lol. (sigh)

Last edited by CCN; 05/28/13 08:50 AM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM