Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    So the tester finally sent me extended norms, but didn't really say what they meant much, just that how can you really tell the difference between on 99.9 kid and another, and that DD's IQ just can't be accuratly measured by the test, but at least I have them in writing now. Never know if they will help advocate for her in the future.

But anyway here are the extended ones- what do these really mean?

VCI- 170
    PRI- 165
    FSIQ- 154
    GAI- 183

We applied to DYS this month and I am really looking foward to having some resources. We homeschool on a small island- total population of under 4000, how likely is it for dd to ever find an intellectual peer here. She has really been struggling lately.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    K
    K
    Wow! Those are amazing scores!

G
    G
    Has your daughter ever taken a class from onlineg3.com? Kids tend to "meet" other kids there. My daughter loves the classes.

D
    D
    I have to say I don't know how you do it. Is there any chance of getting off of the island?

Those are such high scores that your DD wouldn't be any more likely to find an intellectual peer in her neighborhood if you lived in a city versus your small island. In either case, I think you'd have to reach out to gifted-centric activities to find kids close to her intellectually. Hopefully, while I know you said she's struggling a bit now, she can find someone that she connect to on more of a heart level.

Just wanted to say, though, that you connect to her on a heart level and that you seem like you are doing a really great job for her. You should be really proud of who she is and the job you're doing as her parent.

She thought she could, so she did.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Those are such high scores that your DD wouldn't be any more likely to find an intellectual peer in her neighborhood if you lived in a city versus your small island. In either case, I think you'd have to reach out to gifted-centric activities to find kids close to her intellectually. Hopefully, while I know you said she's struggling a bit now, she can find someone that she connect to on more of a heart level.

Just wanted to say, though, that you connect to her on a heart level and that you seem like you are doing a really great job for her. You should be really proud of who she is and the job you're doing as her parent.

I agree that LOG is rare, and I wish the OP the very best luck in getting her dd's needs met. Hopefully DYS will have some good suggestions. I thought population density was a problem on the island we moved from last year, connected to the mainland by a bridge and within one hour of a city. I feel for you (and her).

E
    E
    Those are some fabulous scores. I agree with mnmom, that you seem really tuned in to her and should be proud of the connection you're maintaining.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks yall. I have never checked out onlineg3.com. I am headed to do that. I am not sure how our internet will work with it. I tried an online typing thing yesterday for DD and we tried dreambox, but our connection speed on the island is too slow.

No chance of moving for a few years, and dd is getting the chance to make some amazing memories, berry picking in the tundra, watching the bald eagles fight, fishing in the Bering Sea, the boat surrounded by roaring stellar sea lions...etc. She has one good friend, but is often lonely. I am her main playmate and confidant.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    D
    D
    She is lucky to have you! And those experiences do sound pretty amazing!

L
    L
    Those are AWESOME scores! Just a crazy thought! If there is any wild life or climatology or any other cool research project happening on the island, maybe you dd could be part if the team and help out in little ways. She is sure to find intellectual peers among adult scientists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM