Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    I think science wouldn't be this tough if they weren't doing so little of it in elem to begin with - which I do not understand at all!

True here too. They seem to recycle the same few facts about the solar system, the water cycle, and the parts of plants over and over again. It's been hard on DS10 waiting to get to the good stuff.

We did let DS do ALEKS chemistry, but I bet your DS7 doesn't quite have enough math yet. Hang onto that as an option, though; it kept DS out of trouble for a little while.

DeeDee

Just wait-- in middle school they do the same experiments to go with those same basic facts. Again. Rinse, repeat.

No wonder DD found this mind-numbing.

It wasn't really until high school science past the freshman survey course that she started doing and studying some things that she hadn't seen again and again and again.

It was like the novel material came at her one painful drop at a time, year after year.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I think science wouldn't be this tough if they weren't doing so little of it in elem to begin with - which I do not understand at all!

True here too. They seem to recycle the same few facts about the solar system, the water cycle, and the parts of plants over and over again. It's been hard on DS10 waiting to get to the good stuff.

We did let DS do ALEKS chemistry, but I bet your DS7 doesn't quite have enough math yet. Hang onto that as an option, though; it kept DS out of trouble for a little while.

DeeDee

I actually was talking to DS about online classes this morning - the MOOC's - he's intrigued by them - I just checked out the ALEKS - the college level science one? I didn't see any others? Maybe we should do some CTY or something. Although I am still miffed that the whole point was to give him more IN SCHOOL ala Zen's idea of depth.

DeHe

D
    D
    I actually was talking to DS about online classes this morning - the MOOC's - he's intrigued by them - I just checked out the ALEKS - the college level science one? I didn't see any others?

This was high school chemistry; they call it "Prep for AP Chemistry". Scroll down to the "specialized" courses...

http://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/co...ized23_papchem#gk12specialized23_papchem

Although I am still miffed that the whole point was to give him more IN SCHOOL ala Zen's idea of depth.

Exactly. We never wanted DS to have more homework, only to have him learning well in school.

And yet one feels it might be regarded as unwelcome to send a little guy into school with a high school physics textbook under his arm and ask that he be excused from their excellent curriculum.

DeeDee

Fair warning-- not all science teachers in high schools are thrilled with kids that already "know" what they are teaching, either. You'd think they'd be thrilled to have a kid that INTERESTED, but it isn't always the case.

(Witness exhibit A, my DD's biology teacher. {sigh} )

I'm not sure that the answer is "you stop that scholarly activity right this instant, young lady-- what are you trying to do?? RUIN YOURSELF for high school chemistry?"

In any case, though, be aware that this is not necessarily a problem that gets better with time.

Of course, DD can hide what she does on the side that much better now that she's 13 and not 7. So there is that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    W
    W
    I think science is a hard one to accelerate in school. It requires materials.

DD was fortunate to do a weekly science class at the AMNH for the last 3 years. They are able to do amazing things that no school could compete with. Perhaps you could look within the environment.

There are many science camps and maybe you could find something that fits.

I find it easy to accelerate math and reading at home but science is a different game. When they did earth quakes, they were able to visit the museum display with the seismograph and visually see the frequency of earthquakes in any timeframe and the size. Use the equipment to test the effect of a small earthquake. And this was in grade 2.

My advice is to look around for science advancement.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Fair warning-- not all science teachers in high schools are thrilled with kids that already "know" what they are teaching, either. You'd think they'd be thrilled to have a kid that INTERESTED, but it isn't always the case.

(Witness exhibit A, my DD's biology teacher. {sigh} )

I'm not sure that the answer is "you stop that scholarly activity right this instant, young lady-- what are you trying to do?? RUIN YOURSELF for high school chemistry?"

In any case, though, be aware that this is not necessarily a problem that gets better with time.

Of course, DD can hide what she does on the side that much better now that she's 13 and not 7. So there is that.

That is a terrible attitude for a teacher.

So far my ds has had teachers excited to have him. When we got the skip the Honors Bio teacher said, "I was a little leery of a middle schooler keeping up but what a great fit and good work getting it done!" The head of the dept is looking forward to having him in her class next year. OTH, She is the teacher that said is his age should not be a factor in placement to begin.

Thankfully my DS has done just as well as I expected him to do. Hopefully he has paved the road for others in the future in district.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Just wait-- in middle school they do the same experiments to go with those same basic facts. Again. Rinse, repeat.

No wonder DD found this mind-numbing.

It wasn't really until high school science past the freshman survey course that she started doing and studying some things that she hadn't seen again and again and again.

It was like the novel material came at her one painful drop at a time, year after year.
    This is what I was about to say. Junior High science isn't much better.

I have found it's easy to get a principal to agree with you but a lot harder to get them to follow through.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I think science is a hard one to accelerate in school. It requires materials.

There are many science camps and maybe you could find something that fits.
    I found most science camps were just repeating that same few experiments. My son did have a good experience in a G&T program in 5th grade at our local university.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM