Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #156385 05/12/13 05:29 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    What should I do?

We've had a lousy teacher over the past year. Since she's no longer going to be encountered, is it worth our while to complain?

The family is very frustrated by her actions.

K
    K
    I think complaining after the fact is a moot point. I would have started documenting the issues and corresponding with him/her earlier in the year; escalating it at some point during the school year, if the issues went unresolved.

In my opinion, unless it is over a major grievance, complaining after the school year is over is akin to getting a bad meal at a restaurant and complaining about how bad it was after you already ate the entire meal.

The message gets delivered, but seems quite pointless by that time.

Last edited by kelly0523; 05/13/13 05:53 AM.
    S
    S
    If you are being somewhat altruistic and trying to save future students from her, I think it's admirable. We are considering the same thing. You don't always want to complain especially if the teacher is retaliatory by nature, or if you fear lack of support from the admistration. But they do keep track of complaints so you might be making someone's life easier in the future.

Z
    Z
    Depends on one's point of view, unless the food is inedible, I'd rather provide the restaurant feedback after I've eaten (and payed my bill.) I tend to be less concerned about my personal outcome and more concerned with the long term. So, to me, if the teacher issues are things that could impact other kids, then a polite phone call/discussion with the principal about your concerns about their employee would seem an appropriate way to provide feedback. But I would want to make sure I was doing it for positive future outcomes and not to be punitive.

So... I can tell you the administration either already knows shes terrible, but hasn't been able to get rid of her, or they think she's fine and they are friends, in which case your complaining will do no good.

If there were specific incidents that took place that were inappropriate, then yes, document those and let the administration know. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. The administration typically already knows which teachers pretty much suck and shouldn't be teaching... unfortunately they can't just fire these people!

~amy
    I have done this.

Under the guise of "I didn't want to say... but..."

and discussing specific "mismatch" and "fit" issues related to my daughter's needs or learning style.

I tend to address it as a problem for some students... and not necessarily "that horrible teacher."

Truthfully, all but the most egregious of them have a style that works for.... someone. (I guess.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    In my experience, epoh is right on...but it still made me feel better to make our views known politely, just to put my mind at rest that there was really nothing more I could do about it and that it really was the school choosing to do nothing or being able to do nothing. At least then they can never pretend that they didn't know. But of course you should try to be as objective, factual, and polite as possible, because IME that maximizes the possibility that they will take your points seriously. Sorry this year has not been good, and hooray you won't be dealing with this person next year smile

epoh #156526 05/13/13 09:17 AM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by epoh
    So... I can tell you the administration either already knows shes terrible, but hasn't been able to get rid of her, or they think she's fine and they are friends, in which case your complaining will do no good.

If there were specific incidents that took place that were inappropriate, then yes, document those and let the administration know. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. The administration typically already knows which teachers pretty much suck and shouldn't be teaching... unfortunately they can't just fire these people!

We had a bad egg teacher. It took a principal who was retiring and complaints from three families in the same school year to get her moved (impossible to fire). You may be setting the stage for that perfect storm in future years if you convey your concerns.

Yup.

Ours was NOT teaching the honors section of that science class this year. Of course, the damage is already done-- 90% of the students in my DD's cohort have a strong aversion to the subject engendered by their brush with, er... The Harpy (my DD's nickname for that teacher)...

but at least she's not doing it to THIS year's cohort.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Absolutely. Schools need to have written documentation. I absolutely think it is worth sending something to the principal, even if it is too late for your child for this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM