Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Captain America Lousy teacher - 05/12/13 12:29 PM
What should I do?

We've had a lousy teacher over the past year. Since she's no longer going to be encountered, is it worth our while to complain?

The family is very frustrated by her actions.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 12:51 PM
I think complaining after the fact is a moot point. I would have started documenting the issues and corresponding with him/her earlier in the year; escalating it at some point during the school year, if the issues went unresolved.

In my opinion, unless it is over a major grievance, complaining after the school year is over is akin to getting a bad meal at a restaurant and complaining about how bad it was after you already ate the entire meal.

The message gets delivered, but seems quite pointless by that time.
Posted By: Saritz Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 01:43 PM
If you are being somewhat altruistic and trying to save future students from her, I think it's admirable. We are considering the same thing. You don't always want to complain especially if the teacher is retaliatory by nature, or if you fear lack of support from the admistration. But they do keep track of complaints so you might be making someone's life easier in the future.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 01:50 PM
Depends on one's point of view, unless the food is inedible, I'd rather provide the restaurant feedback after I've eaten (and payed my bill.) I tend to be less concerned about my personal outcome and more concerned with the long term. So, to me, if the teacher issues are things that could impact other kids, then a polite phone call/discussion with the principal about your concerns about their employee would seem an appropriate way to provide feedback. But I would want to make sure I was doing it for positive future outcomes and not to be punitive.
Posted By: epoh Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 02:21 PM
So... I can tell you the administration either already knows shes terrible, but hasn't been able to get rid of her, or they think she's fine and they are friends, in which case your complaining will do no good.

If there were specific incidents that took place that were inappropriate, then yes, document those and let the administration know. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. The administration typically already knows which teachers pretty much suck and shouldn't be teaching... unfortunately they can't just fire these people!
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 03:59 PM
I have done this.

Under the guise of "I didn't want to say... but..."

and discussing specific "mismatch" and "fit" issues related to my daughter's needs or learning style.

I tend to address it as a problem for some students... and not necessarily "that horrible teacher."

Truthfully, all but the most egregious of them have a style that works for.... someone. (I guess.)

Posted By: Dbat Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 04:15 PM
In my experience, epoh is right on...but it still made me feel better to make our views known politely, just to put my mind at rest that there was really nothing more I could do about it and that it really was the school choosing to do nothing or being able to do nothing. At least then they can never pretend that they didn't know. But of course you should try to be as objective, factual, and polite as possible, because IME that maximizes the possibility that they will take your points seriously. Sorry this year has not been good, and hooray you won't be dealing with this person next year smile
Posted By: knute974 Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by epoh
So... I can tell you the administration either already knows shes terrible, but hasn't been able to get rid of her, or they think she's fine and they are friends, in which case your complaining will do no good.

If there were specific incidents that took place that were inappropriate, then yes, document those and let the administration know. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. The administration typically already knows which teachers pretty much suck and shouldn't be teaching... unfortunately they can't just fire these people!

We had a bad egg teacher. It took a principal who was retiring and complaints from three families in the same school year to get her moved (impossible to fire). You may be setting the stage for that perfect storm in future years if you convey your concerns.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 04:19 PM
Yup.

Ours was NOT teaching the honors section of that science class this year. Of course, the damage is already done-- 90% of the students in my DD's cohort have a strong aversion to the subject engendered by their brush with, er... The Harpy (my DD's nickname for that teacher)...

but at least she's not doing it to THIS year's cohort.

Posted By: MurphysMom Re: Lousy teacher - 05/13/13 04:24 PM
Absolutely. Schools need to have written documentation. I absolutely think it is worth sending something to the principal, even if it is too late for your child for this year.
Posted By: Captain America Re: Lousy teacher - 05/20/13 05:58 PM
This is a parochial school. The "administration" really is a principal who handles both the HS and grade school. Her real interest is sports, and the place is essentially a Sports Academy.

I just haven't had much personal experience with the whole "rah rah school" stuff; didn't attend one ever. I'm more in favor of schools doing educational stuff and leaving the YMCA or local clubs, etc., to running sports heavy all the time.

The only positive I'm seeing is that there's a community at the school of people who get along well; kids who are vastly better behaved than their public school peers: I've run into the parents at the public schools and just can't match them, tattoo for tattoo, piercing for piercing.

The teacher who's crap is basically into uplifting the kids who are behind, and letting the others sit on the shelf.

My son didn't learn anything new all year. If anything, the teacher's lousy communications strategy generated vast resentments of school and schoolwork on his part.
Posted By: geofizz Re: Lousy teacher - 05/20/13 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by epoh

Or the teacher is just fine for most kids and is a poor fit for yours.

Originally Posted by Captain America
This is a parochial school. The "administration" really is a principal who handles both the HS and grade school. Her real interest is sports, and the place is essentially a Sports Academy.

It sounds like this is possibly the case. The principal's goals and priorities for this school don't align with yours, and the teacher is teaching to those that are behind, possibly consistent with the principal's goals for the school.

I've been told by our principal that I need to write a letter each year describing the type of teacher and classroom environment my kids need. A lot of "good teacher" "bad teacher" stuff comes from a quality of fit to the child. We've had good years (though not great) with teachers that other parents despise, and I'm still wondering how certain parents could think one teacher we had was anything but detrimental to all children in her class.

Some parents see a lack of communication as "no news as good news." I see DD's 5th grade teacher's constant email updates as encouraging helicopter parenting. A lot of how we see teachers is a matter of perspective.

Of course, there are amazing teachers that hit it right for all kids, and lousy ones that fail everyone, but I'm beginning to think they are more rare than internet chat groups would make out.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Lousy teacher - 05/21/13 03:02 PM
Agreed. I'm applauding, actually.

Frank discussion with parents whose opinion we trust has really opened our eyes there-- because the teacher that my DD had the MOST trouble with in terms of communication/expectations is someone that both of her HG boys have loved dearly.

On the other hand, the teacher that my DD lovingly calls "The Barracuda" and is seriously attached to...

their boys dread and avoid. We like them as a family, our kids are good friends, and really, they are just different in many ways as learners. The family even has quite similar values. We often have EXACTLY the same complaints about curriculum matters (which teachers don't control).

Some of it is truly the parent and student and how that meshes with the individual teacher's style.

Oh-- but the horrific biology teacher? Yeah-- they were appalled by her, too. So there are teachers that are really toxic for an entire group of learners (in this case, highly capable ones), but mostly this kind of thing is explained by interpersonal differences in style, flexibility, and expectations.
Posted By: jaylivg Re: Lousy teacher - 05/21/13 04:28 PM
Since the school year is almost over , i really don't see any point complaining about the lousy teacher .

I am experiencing the same problem , i've mentioned to the principal during our conference that maybe our son and the teacher isn't the right fit . But the principal kept telling me that teacher and DS is 100% perfect fit . Which i don't see it at all . Because my school loving son has turned into someone who hates school now . Because of this year's teacher , DS doesn't like school anymore .

What i am afraid of if you go on ahead and complain about that particular teacher , they will make things even harder for your child in the coming school year . This is something to think about before you go on and complain about that teacher .
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum