Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    D
    Yes please OP, I would also really love to see the studies. I anticipate a similar issue with my dd when they give the CogAt in the fall.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Just as an update, my son took the MAP reading test today. He scored very high at entry level 5th grade according to the school. He takes MAP math next week. Math is his strongest subject by far.

Great news! I am jealous I wish my district used MAP. What a wonderful turn around from the ridiculous test results!

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by jaggirl47
    Well, as the discussion progressed, I informed the director of my talks with the different CTY's. I happened to get many studies emailed to me yesterday that I will be forwarding to the district today. They were extremely shocked to hear the studies. I explained how these studies explain my child 100% and shows the failure of proper screening in the district. They are fully willing to read the studies to bring up at the next school board meeting.
    Group tests are a major pet peeve of mine but I've never seen studies of this sort. I'd love to see what these studies say as I've always contended that the group screeners are not only missing gifted kids but are also over identifying high achievers as gifted. Is there any way you could post links to these studies?

I'd like to reiterate this myself, actually-- I'd LOVE to know about studies to this effect.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Working on getting the actual links over copy and pasting from my email with the info. smile

The district did try to push their ideas about the CogAT test and how wonderful it was by sending me links of studies. All of the studies were done by the author of the test so I replied that of course the studies are positive. I would write positive studies if something was making me millions as well.

I also found out that the state I am in requires school districts to pay for all further evaluation with a certified child psychologist. So, I am now working on that so I don't have to pay out of pocket.

I think I understand the high ($6,000) price tag now.

The district did try to push their ideas about the CogAT test and how wonderful it was by sending me links of studies. All of the studies were done by the author of the test so I replied that of course the studies are positive. I would write positive studies if something was making me millions as well.

Ain't that the truth? Haw!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/05/13 05:11 AM.

Become what you are
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    So, I spoke with the state to get assistance with the district paying. Apparently, there is a little known clause that only requires further investigation if the child has a learning disability. I am still required to pay. I did find an outstanding child psychologist that will do just the needed test for much less (thank goodness!).

According to the results, he corresponding IQ would average 70-75 and he requires 1 on 1 teaching with constant repetition to grasp even the most basic concepts.

Call me naive and unsophisticated if you will but that sounds like a learning disability to me! Hoist them on their own petards for all you are worth laugh

Become what you are
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Call me naive and unsophisticated if you will but that sounds like a learning disability to me! Hoist them on their own petards for all you are worth laugh

He has an appointment for ADHD screening this week. It's been in his medical record from the age of 3 as highly suspect. The thing is, when he is properly engaged he is perfectly fine. He never is though. His teacher hands him mass amounts of work to do on his own, he finishes it quickly, then becomes bored. He hates listening to addition problems other kids have issues with when he is doing long division at home for fun. Right now I am teaching him multiplication and division of fractions. He has a blast and will do them for hours.

T
    T
    Hello jaggirl47,

I am in a similar situation - except we have already had the WISC-IV test which shows my dd9 to be gifted, and the school district doesn't want to take it into consideration! On the CogAT she scored 97% for quantitative, but 67%(!!) for verbal, which is her strength! The cutoff for HC here (also WA) is 98% on a cognitive test. You wold think her WISC-IV scores would qualify her (percentiles were VCI 99, PRI 99, WMI 99.8, PSI 98, and FSIQ 99.8) but apparently not. In addition, they don't allow appeals.

I need to get my hands on some studies that show weaknesses with the CogAT test. Could you post links to the studies you mentioned, or forward the emails to me? I'll private message you my email address. Thanks in advance!!!

-Tricia

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs