Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    If the school doesn't want you based on IQ score alone...maybe you don't want them. Not all schools are good matches. Find another that evaluates the global makeup of a student.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Jenny: Achievement comes from an intersection of ability, opportunity, and effort. If you're of slightly less ability, but taking full advantage of your opportunities, and putting forth a little more effort, that doesn't detract from your achievements in any way. In fact, this makes you quite a bit "smarter" than any of your peers who may be trying to squeak by based only on a higher ability.

I wouldn't worry about not getting into a top high school if I were you. It sounds like things are going wonderfully right where you're at.

Also, you didn't tell us what IQ test you took, or the score. It may very well be that you're selling yourself short.

Furthermore, "not gifted" does not equal "low IQ." An IQ of 130 only occurs in ~2% of the population, or once in every 44 individuals. If you're still in the top 5-15% (and your achievement suggests you are), then your IQ is still quite high.

Others have already explained why "ideally intelligent" is actually a BETTER thing than being highly gifted is.

Think of it this way-- is it "better" to be neurotypical? Or to be on the autistic spectrum? It depends on what you mean, right?

If this is a school for highly gifted students, then (and I mean this in the best possible way)... it may not be a good fit for you if you are "ideally intelligent."

No more than a really, REALLY awesome school for students with Apserger's syndrome (if such a thing exists-- I don't know) would be a good fit for a neurotypical and highly functional student would be.

A "great" school is only great if you fit the target student demographic dead center of the distribution. Do keep that in mind.

As others have noted, your data all seems to indicate that you are doing terrifically well right where you are!

Like others who have posted before me, I can explain what the difference is between high achievement and gifted behavior looks like all too well.

You might be gifted/highly gifted:

Reading because you are procrastinating, since that other unpleasant/trivial/meaningless task is just "busywork" anyway, and then having to RUSH to finish it. Sloppily/badly.

Nobody laughs at your "weird" jokes.

People call you a "freak" because of your interests.

You make people uncomfortable unless you hide how easy things are for you. You have to LIE about how long things take, or what grades you earned.

When you make the effort, you ALWAYS get 100%. Unless, you know, you get into that mode where you spend time overthinking the simple questions because you can't quite get into the not-too-bright teacher's head to see what s/he was actually thinking when s/he wrote the questions.

You are continuously impatient with how slow other people seem to think/process information.

As another question for our OP-- how would you feel if you DID get in to this other school, and found that you were now, officially, one of the "slow" kids?

Do consider that. It can be hard to be a high achiever and suddenly find yourself surrounded by people who are world class high achievers. I've seen that before in college students and graduate students. Some people adjust fine, and others don't; a lot depends on how invested the individual is in "I'm one of the 'smart' kids" as their identity.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by qxp
    Michelle skipped 2nd grade so I suspect she must be PG! wink
    Side point: I'm not sure that everyone who skips a grade is PG, FWIW. I have a dd who started as the absolute youngest in grade and who skipped a grade and she is not PG. My grandmother started K at 4, turned 5 in October, and skipped both 3rd and 5th grade and also may not have been PG, although she was pretty darn smart.

As what I would call a 'natural born heretic' I do not subscribe as so many psuedo-intelligent folks do to the 'Obama personality cult' that the mainstream media has manufactured.

I do remember Obama's IQ scores being bandied around by the media and the number 127 sticks in my mind. If I remember correctly, that number was extrapolated from an 'Ivy average SAT' (my quotes) or something. As he (or at least his very slick campaign machine) have locked up the actual SAT scores, who knows what the actual objectively measured level of his cognitive ability is?

IMO, anyone that hides their credentials/test results etc is suspect automatically. It just boggles my mind that for 'mere mortals' to get a paying job they have to consent to searches of their background, credit rating, university transcripts etc but a person purportedly working *for* us doesn't have to make these details public. But there you have our rotten and almost completely unrepresentative of the masses political system.

End of rant - mods feel free to delete if too political.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    IMO, anyone that hides their credentials/test results etc is suspect automatically. It just boggles my mind that for 'mere mortals' to get a paying job they have to consent to searches of their background, credit rating, university transcripts etc but a person purportedly working *for* us doesn't have to make these details public.
    Transcripts, yes; credit rating, yes; background checks, yes; tax returns, yes; but IQ test scores, no, at least IMHO. I don't think that any of us has to reveal our IQ scores, which aren't set in stone anyway, for any job or office. The only place that ever requested my IQ scores to participate/join/get the "job" was Mensa. Similarly, DYS requires them. Jobs, even public servant jobs, do not require one to reveal that IQ scores - again IMHO. Heck, most of the population has never taken an IQ test anyway!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Jennys6
    I am left handed and for some reason I heard that left handed people generally score lower on IQ tests.

Back to the OP so we don't side track too much! I've never heard anything like this and, anecdotally, all of the left handed people in my family are just as bright, if not brighter, than the rest of my family members. An article in Scientific American quotes studies that find pretty much identical IQs between right and left handed folks overall:

Studies in the U.K., U.S. and Australia have revealed that left-handed people differ from right-handers by only one IQ point, which is not noteworthy.

I wonder if what you heard was someone mistaking the studies that find higher rates of left handedness among those with mental retardation and learning disabilities, neither of which I can imagine applies to you given your achievement. That same SA article notes this finding.

Left-handedness is, however, much more common among individuals with severe learning difficulties, such as mental retardation. A slightly higher proportion of left-handers have dyslexia or a stutter.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-it-true-that-left-handed-people

Originally Posted by Jennys6
    I am genuinely curious as to why I can achieve good grades and scores on tests, but not be gifted. I would appreciate some input on my situation. Thank you! smile
    My guess on this is twofold:

1) your IQ isn't likely "low" per se, just perhaps not in the top 2% that is considered "gifted." People with IQs in the top range of where most people fall (IQs around 110-115) can be very, very high achievers but not gifted. 66% of people have IQ scores within one standard deviation of the mean, meaning that 66% of people have IQ scores between 85-115 and would be considered "average." None the less, the performance of someone with an IQ of 115 will be stellar as compared to someone more toward the bottom or center of that "average" range. I've seen kids with IQs that are not dramatically above 100 (105 or so) perform in the top 1-5% of their grade with high motivation and because they are a really good fit for how schools are designed. I think that this article explains it well:
    http://www.giftededucation.org.nz/documents/high-achievers-pdf.pdf
    In essence, high achievers are children who fit very comfortably into the normal school system. Their approach to learning is primarily to focus on mastery of the given curriculum. They have the capacity to do this to a very high level, and they show a very high level of motivation in doing so. They finish set tasks, and generally present their work well and take pride in doing so. They do well in exams and generally eventually leave school with a raft of certificates and prizes to attest to their accomplishments. They tend to relate well to their teachers and are often described as a pleasure to teach.
    They may be leaders amongst their classmates - they are often captain of the team, school prefect, etc.

As she describes it, gifted is not differentiated from bright, high achiever on the surface by the gifted being higher achievers, but by the gifted being ones who learn differently and who may fit less well into the school setting and perhaps perform less "highly" as a result:
    As far as learning goes, it means we are dealing with a child who may find many aspects of the normal school programme frustrating and irrelevant and who is not motivated to persist when he/she has already demonstrated a grasp of a topic. If he/she thinks the topic worthwhile, the concern is to push on to the next step, with extraordinary intensity of concentration and effort. But if he/she does not perceive the topic as worthwhile, then there is huge impatience with wasting time and a real reluctance to perform/conform. Gifted learners are much more inclined to initiate projects than are the high achievers
    - and much less inclined to finish projects solely to meet some externally imposed presentation standard. Thus we can get very erratic levels of performance from these children.

2) Perhaps you are someone with a lot of internal drive and drive really counts for a lot. Work ethic often counts for more than sheer ability. Is it also possible that you are on the older end for grade? In general, and I feel like a heretic saying this here b/c a lot of us (me included) have kids who are intentionally very young for grade some due to grade skips, people who are older for grade tend to perform more highly than the younger kids in the early grades and, often, that leads toward being tracked into high achieving classes and a self fulfilling prophecy where the older kids continue to perform better.

Another possibility is that the IQ test you took just didn't fully represent your ability. IQ tests have been knows to be wrong at times.

I only brought it up to show that you can succeed even with a < 'gifted' IQ and the number that I remember being bandied around was 127 which is in the 'optimal IQ' band, I think And becoming the POTUS is success beyond dispute. I never said that he ought to reveal his IQ test scores - I don't care about them one jot. I do think that his SAT scores and his transcripts ought to be available for public (his purported employers after all) scrutiny. Sorry, but I have such a strong reaction to double standards and overt hypocrisy.

Back to the OP - I don't think we need any 'studies' to tell us what commonsense does - that a strong drive to succeed, a fair helping of luck and a solid work ethic combined will always trump raw natural ability in just about everything (except IQ tests ). And as I posted earlier, IQ tests are just about irrelevant to everyday life.

It doesn't just apply to 'book learning' either - it is just as valid in other fields of endeavour. I still vividly remember the guy in Hoop Dreams that was just dripping natural ability but ended up as a car park attendant because he didn't appear to have enough drive to put up with and attend to what his coach was telling him.

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/02/13 10:10 AM.

Become what you are
    Q
    Q
    Jenny--

You have everything you need to possibly succeed.

High intelligence, phenomenal motivation and intrinsic interest trumps "profound giftedness" under any circumstances.

As a 23 year old college student, I have a iq of 170 and it is not an easy way to live.

I feel a ubiquitous sense of loneliness, pervasive frustration (that I keep to myself) with the facile nature of my classes, and I cannot take multiple choices well because I have a poor habit of questioning everything and a minimal ability to understand precisely what the professor seeks.

I rarely sleep because of my research that takes over my every thought; I also end up putting this before my own assignments (which obviously does not breed the best success with my grades).

I keep a lot to myself on efforts expended on course assignments, and make a conscientious effort to talk about "normal" things--my family cannot understand my interests and even seem to fear my abnormal fascination for mathematics, psychology, and modern physics. Overall, the sense of boredom and lack of challenge overwhelms much of my life.

Jenny, the point of this is to tell you that being a "genius"--quotes indicate the inherently subjective nature of this--bodes many problems as well that are not often discussed or regarded. You are perfect exactly as you are, and you have no need to change what you are doing. Keep up with your extracurricular activities, phenomenal coursework, and social endeavors. You are going to be a great success!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM